Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by AnsonRogers
JB, that might be on the 2nd and thereafter shots but wouldn't the bullet in the chambered round be unaffected? That bullet was never slammed into the front of the mag box.

Not necessarily. It may have been in the magazine previously, when other rounds were fired.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
That's possible, I suppose but I never load up with rounds with dinged tips. Those get shot up when it doesn't matter if they are a little off in POI or otherwise.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I doubt you'd notice the slight amount of flattening that could prevent one from opening. The hollow-point is pretty tiny on the smaller TSX's--and I would guess the tip wouldn't have to be totally closed.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by BWalker
The 25 caliber 100gr TSX seems to be the most problematic bullet Barnes made.

That's very true.
I had a web site 20+ years back where I posted Q&A and I did the responses though I had a lot of chatter about that bullet caliber and weight even back then.( though they were "X" bullets back then) I got a response from Dan Petersen, whom I didn't know back then and he had seen the same thing commenting to the point that I pulled some off my bench and went right over then to determine that there was caliber variance in between boxes, mostly undersized, so accuracy could be affected by that symptom alone in some barrels as obturation would be a variable. There was also a transition period where the first X bullets had bumps and dents on them and the open points were very thick suggesting more weight up front in comparison with other bullet designs. Can't say that mattered for accuracy but it likely did contribute to the calls of no expansion back in those days, though I never experienced it myself that I am aware of. Everything I shot died and the bullets are still orbiting for all I know. .

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

I concur with this

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I watched a guy shoot a bull elk 3 times at 25 yards with a 25-06 and 100 grain Barnes. Not a single bullet expanded. My son shot the same bull with a 180 of another make (Fail safe)which was devastating. All the 100s penciled thru

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"Everything I shot died and the bullets are still orbiting for all I know."

This is true of the Barnes, Punch, NF, Woodleigh bullets and some others. I shoot to kill game and not to find spent bullets and complain about them.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't doubt the experiences others have posted but I have killed at least a dozen deer and pronghorn with the 100 TSX in my 257 Roberts at around 3100 FPS and had nothing but the best performance. Never recovered a bullet and lots of DRTs. Never lost a critter I shot with that load.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have had good success with the 25 caliber 100gr. tsx in multiple 257 Weatherbys on elk and deer . Usually 1 shot and dead , but the bullets never stay in the animal. I will continue to use them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

The only Barnes bullet that I used that seemed to have minimal expansion, out of a 257 WBY no less. The TTSX in the same round proved far more devastating. When I shoot a Barnes now, it is a TTSX, even for elk.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Which is exactly why Eileen and I have stayed with the 100 TTSX since it appeared. The difference in performance on animals from antelope to elk was obvious.

John Steinbeck
H
hws Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I am in the process of switching from the 100 gr. TSX to the 100 TTSX in my .257 Roberts. I was hoping to do this without going through a new load work up. For those of you that have made the change was a new load necessary? TIA.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Not with any of our rifles, but it would depend somewhat on magazine length--which might require the TTSX being seated a little deeper, and might not.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I switched from the TSX to the TTSX in a 257 WBY, COL was different and I did work up powder wise, but powder charge remained the same.

I would bet the COL would be different because of a different ogive and polymer tip on the TTSX.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Which is exactly why Eileen and I have stayed with the 100 TTSX since it appeared. The difference in performance on animals from antelope to elk was obvious.

My first outing with the 257WM was in '09, shooting speed goats with the TSX. Actually had them running off or no reaction after a broadside, behind the shoulder shot. Had never had that happen. When I commented on here after returning, you actually mentioned that the smaller caliber TSX's may experience lack of expansion problems. You suggested the TTSX, and it has worked like a charm on antelope, deer, hogs and elk. The difference is very obvious in the quarter bores.

H
hws Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Not with any of our rifles, but it would depend somewhat on magazine length--which might require the TTSX being seated a little deeper, and might not.

It's for A Ruger No.1 so magazine length will not be an issue although I know I'll have to check for seating length.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
hws, In my Vanguard 257 Weatherby, switching from the Barnes 100gr TSX to the TTSX, straight across, resulted in higher than expected velocity, a stiff bolt lift, primer cratering, & an ejector mark on the case head. I had to reduce my load by 1.5gr to even things out. I didn't expect the higher pressure w/ the TTSX; I thought it would be an even swap. Not in my case. Good Luck, -Mark

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver

The only Barnes bullet that I used that seemed to have minimal expansion, out of a 257 WBY no less. The TTSX in the same round proved far more devastating. When I shoot a Barnes now, it is a TTSX, even for elk.

My expiereance was with a 25-06AI. I now use the 100gr TTSX and it's been flawess.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have used the 115gr TSX in my 25-06 with good results on deer.

The first deer I ever deliberately high shoulder shot was a WT buck at 40 yds. He just tipped over with straight legs and his front legs shivered for a second. Great internal damage from that TSX and the best part was no blood shot meat, eat right up to the hole.

I chose that shot because he only needed about two steps to get back onto property that was closed to me for hunting.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have read at least one negative report on the campfire regarding the 80 grain TSX in the 257 Weatherby. I can't find the report but it was a culling trip in Australia so the number of animals was significant 3-400 if I recall correctly. But the disdain for the 80 TSX was across the board not a single incident.

For my own use I went directly to the TTSX, E-Tip and 110 Sirocco II, I doubt I will have issues with any of them in the Weatherby and 25-06. I am also hoping to test the Lehigh 85s and 100 grain bullets on game.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

126 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 35, AceBall, achlupsa, 12 invisible), 1,733 guests, and 826 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,514,972
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.