Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Been looking at boats since early spring, And I've arrived at some partial decisions.

The biggest decision was to go with Crestliner. I've heard the complaints, and seen the record of past failures. The new hulls and builds, at least the ones I'm looking at are wood free, and the transoms and hull welds are lifetime warrantied. That warranty extends to a second titled owner as well.

The decision I have left is to go with a 1650 Fish Hawk w/90 Merc, or the 1750 Fish Hawk w/115 Merc. Family finances are involved.

I can swing the 1650 FH with my own funds and not short anything or feel the urge to borrow. It is a side console with impressive space for a hull under 17'. The 1750 FH is more than I feel like I can swing, on my own, without strain or borrowing.

My wife is also excited about owning a boat, and she would prefer more space and seating, as well as a full walk-through windshield. I hate the looks and the lost deck space that a walk-through windshield brings. I feel like the entire front of the boat is pretty useless for any fishing purpose. But to offset the added cost of this boat my wife has offered to pony up the difference. And maybe the added space of the larger boat would offset the loss of deck space?

Opinions please...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I prefer someone else to own it. I’ve fueled and cleaned alotta boats in my day....

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
JMHO- if I live long enough to ever get a
different boat other than what I have, it'll
be from one of the Louisiana companies
such as Hankos or the like
They build lots of boats for oilfield work
and for commercial fishermen and crabbers
and some of the better most durable sport
fishing boats made ( should say ALUMINUM here)
They'll add whatever features you want if
it's something practical, or something
stupid if you have enough money

Last edited by Ranger99; 10/09/20.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
For me neither Crestliner or Mercury would make it very high on any list.

If I wanted a tin boat it would be a Lund or an Alumacraft with a Yamaha, Suzuki, or Honda. In no particular order.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 16bore
I prefer someone else to own it. I’ve fueled and cleaned alotta boats in my day....

+1

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by WYcoyote

If I wanted a tin boat it would be a Lund or an Alumacraft with a Yamaha, Suzuki, or Honda. In no particular order.

do you know that all mecurys under 40 HP are made in Japan?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of the big reasons I bought my current fishing boat was for the full windshield with a walk-through. More than once on a cold morning I've patted myself on the back for that decision. I like being able to hunker down when motoring to the honey hole. And I don't like eating mosquitos on a summer night.

It all depends on what you want in a boat.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 16bore

Ah, the OPB approach. Always a good means of dealing with the hole in the water..

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Three tube pantoon fishing boat. If I ever felt the need to get in the water in a boat that would be what I would get. I try and limit my water travel to once or maybe twice a year to make the wife happy. Two years ago I went way outside my comfort zone and paddled a 14" rowboat 60 miles down the Montana Missouri river the last week of Nov. when the high of the day was 0 to 5 above and about -15 at night when we camped along side the river. we were breaking ice the last day to get to the pull out. .

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by SPQR70AD

So are all Yamaha's, the best motors on the water.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by SPQR70AD

That was probably was a good decision to have someone else make them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not sure what sort of water you plan on being in but I would choose the bigger boat and motor. I wouldn't want less than a 18.5'/115 hp combination.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I think this is a terrible time to get a good deal on a boat. If you can, I would wait a year or so.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Whiptail

I think this is a terrible time to get a good deal on a boat. If you can, I would wait a year or so.

Oh he ain't gonna buy one, he has been starting boat threads every few months for years. 😁😁😁

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

LUND... this isn’t a more stable boat if you are on lakes.

Rivers - well that’s a different thing

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mirage243
Originally Posted by Whiptail

Oh he ain't gonna buy one, he has been starting boat threads every few months for years. 😁😁😁

Kinda true. But I will buy a boat...

Mirage, Please give your opinion on side console vs walk-through. Also though I can't imagine having even 6 POB, why do the 1650 and the 1750 Fish Hawks have the same limitation? The 1750 is a foot wider and nearly a foot longer...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by johnw
...Crestliner...1650 Fish Hawk w/90 Merc, or the 1750 Fish Hawk w/115 Merc...My wife is also excited about owning a boat, and she would prefer more space and seating, as well as a full walk-through windshield...

Listen to your wife. Go for the bigger boat, longer and wider.

But I definitely would not buy one brand new. Instead, look for someone's cream puff; save thousand$ and get a better boat. Have a pre-purchase inspection done by a qualified service.

Crestliner and Mercury are not the top of the line. You could likely do much better on the used boat. Great time to find a deal on something really nice.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
No flies on modern mercs. Yamaha being the “best” is very subjective.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Buy once/cry once. Decide exactly what you want and buy the damned thing. Don’t get something you didn’t really want to save a few bucks.

I bought a new Lowe aluminum boat this year. It was expensive, but I have no regrets. It is what I wanted. The 4 stroke Mercury is great.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Calvin
No flies on modern mercs. Yamaha being the “best” is very subjective.

It's not subjective when you've worked on them for 30 years, I love Mercs, they make me a sheitload of money, Yamaha's not so much.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

463 members (10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 39 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,087 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,509
Posts18,490,723
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.