Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
OldHat Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
So have any of you guys who live in the mid west or plains states ever had any issues with crop dusting drift at your rural homes?

What do they spray? Is it roundup or pesticides or both?

GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I don't think glosphate / Roundup is legal air applied.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Yes....its both.

I am MAGA.
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Depends on the area I would think. Here they spray anything. What are your concerns about. They are liable if they harm or kill anything not supposed to be sprayed. I had one kill about 40 acres of canola because of wind drift but I was compensated for the loss. No biggie. Edk

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Happens all the time.

Log details, times and losses if you want to recover them.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I thought this was about another type of crop dusting, and was going to answer:

A lump.

O
OldHat Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
The crop dusting companies must have insurance and the risk of drift is rolled into the costs.

My concerns are human and animal health. I'm looking at a rural place in ND and had not thought about the crop dusting issues that may come with living their.

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I live in ND and farmed here till I retired. I do not and have not worried about health issues from spraying. The only spray I worried about was when spraying for grasshoppers. I only had to do that twice in 25 years and was very careful as are all sprayers.
If you are an eco nut and believe all the bs spread about standard farming practices please locate to a city and leave the rural folks alone. Edk

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Do not trust that a applicator or the chemical companies will make it right if they spray you out.

I am MAGA.
O
OldHat Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by ERK
I live in ND and farmed here till I retired. I do not and have not worried about health issues from spraying. The only spray I worried about was when spraying for grasshoppers. I only had to do that twice in 25 years and was very careful as are all sprayers.
If you are an eco nut and believe all the bs spread about standard farming practices please locate to a city and leave the rural folks alone. Edk

I'm not an eco nut. I'm also not stupid.

Organic chemicals have results else farmers would not use them. A stupid person does not take the time to understand their consequences.

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I have a friend, 77 lives in Wenden AZ been cropdusting since he was 19, independent operator, handling his own chemicals too, most of the time. In very good health. Just retired a year ago. Makes me wonder if these chemicals are as dangerous as we think. Also his wife, a smoker, age 72, in the days before GPS was his flag lady for years. I hear your concerns, but I think govt regulators have always erred on the side of caution.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I wouldn't have my house or yard right next to an intensive ag operation.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Most of the dangers come from misuse, not proper use. DDT is a prime example

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
O
OldHat Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I have a friend, 77 lives in Wenden AZ been cropdusting since he was 19, independent operator, handling his own chemicals too, most of the time. In very good health. Just retired a year ago. Makes me wonder if these chemicals are as dangerous as we think. Also his wife, a smoker, age 72, in the days before GPS was his flag lady for years. I hear your concerns, but I think govt regulators have always erred on the side of caution.

Fair point. We live in an overly protective society for sure. I also think their are groups who over play the dangers for their own political gain.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I crop dusted the hallway at home. My wife sprayed Lysol I think. It seemed to take care of it.

Camp is where you make it.
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Old Hat. I was not implying anything about you. Nothing wrong with caution but after spraying for my whole life and all the people I know doing the same the claims of some lawyers is rediculous.
This reminds me of the people who won’t eat anything that has been fed an antibiotic. But as soon a they or their kids get a little sniffle it’s to the doctor they go and get stuck in the ass with an ANTIBIOTIC.
Common sense goes a long ways. Ed k

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Had the boll weevil folks fly over our fish pond.

Also had one duster have his spotter on the ground to get off of my property.

They paid for the damage and when pressed to land his plane on the road by the place and come tell me to my face to get off of my place.

He declined.

When told of that he lost his contract to spray for them.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
I thought this was about another type of crop dusting, and was going to answer:

I was rather hoping this thread might bring RobP back ‘round again. Man, he made me laugh.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I don't think glosphate / Roundup is legal air applied.

Label says for air application! Any applicator, whether ground or aerial, if ethical business people are going to do everything they can to not have a 'drift claim'! Many jobs over forty years I refused to do as there was just no way to prevent a drift claim! Insurance rates are high enough without having drift claims!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The first time I ever witnessed a crop dusting operation, I was in the mountains of Co. One early morning I heard what sounded like a WWII era plane dive bombing. It was a beautiful morning in the high country. On the horizon a quarter mile to the west, I saw a beautiful , yellow, looked like a P-51 or similar spraying for mosquitoes at the Grand Lake Metro Rec district. That pilot has some serious cajones! Pa used to talk of the crop dusters from his youth when he and grandpa farmed in Eastern Colorado. Wind drift would drive me nuts as a pilot!

Last edited by troublesome82; 10/13/20. Reason: wording
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 12 invisible), 1,519 guests, and 911 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.