Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Dutch Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Been thinking about this. At this point in time, knowing what we up know, and medical knowledge and treatments where they are: would you purposely get C19 if you could? Be done with it and be able to go on with your life?

Given that I’m mid 50’s, healthy, not overweight, not prone to lung problems, I’m starting to think it just might be worth being done with it. Tell them to stick the vaccine, their tests, their social distancing, their fear politics and all the rest of it where the sun don’t shine....?

Sic Semper Tyrannis
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I think that i already had it.

Thin is they won't or don't want to do the blood test to check.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
i agree, get it over with already

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No more than I'd purposely go out and get an influenza strain.

I don't want it, but I don't fear it either.

And I too believe I and my youngest girl (17) have already had it back in January.

Last edited by muleshoe; 10/14/20.

Black Cows Matter!
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I already have it, on day 11 in the hodpital, and wished I never had it. Can't imagine actually trying to get it on purpose.

IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
And whether you have had it or not makes no diff with the endless BS foisted on us. You may be immune, but they'll still insist on the hoops.

Now (just heard this yesterday without paying much attention to it), apparently "they" have a confirmed case of someone catching the C twice. I think if true (and who the hell knows?). it wasn't the same strain.
Or if it was, wasn't it just a relapse? More hysteria.

Bar the doors...Close the Windows!...Pull the bed covers over your head - it's gonna kill us all!!!!

Ran the numbers yesterday again. .6% deaths in Alaska of reported cases- and again who the hell knows - our stats are now coming out of CDC, rather than locally. Plus no one knows who has it that have no symptoms.

I saw a headline (about all I read anymore) that the public is losing confidence in "science". Ya think?

No Dutch- I would not. I'll let all you others catch it, get immune and non-contagious, and I'm good to go.... smile

Last edited by las; 10/14/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I’ve had a cold more than once. Same with the flu. What makes you think this is a one and done proposition?

To answer your question, I’ve no idea how my family and myself have avoided getting it so far, but I wouldn’t consider purposefully contracting any disease. That seems foolish.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
My bet: testing aberration, i.e. false positive second time.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Dutch
would you purposely get C19 if you could? Be done with it and be able to go on with your life?

Oh yeah for sure I think darn near everyone should

Dutch Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It’s, in my layman’s understanding of science, almost certainly the exception to get C19 twice. Even more than a decade later, SARS survivors are still resistant to C19. Now, there may be individuals who don’t have properly functioning immune systems, or have a glitch that makes them particularly vulnerable to it........but on the whole, no, it’s a “once and done” kinda thing.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It’s, in my layman’s understanding of science, almost certainly the exception to get C19 twice. Even more than a decade later, SARS survivors are still resistant to C19. Now, there may be individuals who don’t have properly functioning immune systems, or have a glitch that makes them particularly vulnerable to it........but on the whole, no, it’s a “once and done” kinda thing.

I had something in January of 2019. The symptoms were very much as described like C-19 so I'm guessing SARS or MERS. It took me 10 days to get through it. I know I have been close to folks with the C-19 and I'm still walking around with no symptoms. I don't want it but I'm not afraid of it either.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
No. There is no reason to. If I get it, okay, but I'm not going to intentionally get sick.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think I'm just getting over it, it wasn't fun enough to do again. It's a crap shoot on how it will hit you and you won't get any treatment unless your super rich or totally fugged. The older you are the worse the odds, but more than a few young healthy folks have been hit hard by it and some older folks skate through.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Get sick intentionally? Hell no. Fear getting it? No. Why would you intentionally get something that has some unknown and possibly lasting effects?

Even when you've had it, you still have to follow whatever stupid rules are there for things like flying, stores, restaraunts etc.

Dutch Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH

Get sick intentionally? Hell no. Fear getting it? No. Why would you intentionally get something that has some unknown and possibly lasting effects?

Even when you've had it, you still have to follow whatever stupid rules are there for things like flying, stores, restaraunts etc.

One of the reasons I’m thinking about thus is that I’m around folks on a somewhat regular basis that are anywhere from medium to rather high risk. If I were immune, I can’t get them sick.

That , and I’m sick and sick, and sick and TIRED of this crap and want to just rip the bandaid off.....

Sic Semper Tyrannis
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
If I knew it would provide lasting immunity I would kiss a Covid carrier tonight. Get it the fu--ck over with and move on.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just for y'all's information, make of it what you will.

https://thehill.com/changing-americ...n-catches-covid-19-twice-and-second-case

Note: my BOLD

Researchers said the resident of Washoe County began experiencing symptoms consistent with a viral infection in late March and first tested positive for COVID-19 on April 18. His symptoms fully cleared up on April 27 and he tested negative for the virus on two separate occasions, on May 9 and May 26.

On May 31, the patient went to an urgent care facility reporting fever, headache, dizziness, cough, nausea and diarrhea. On June 5, he tested positive for COVID-19 and was hospitalized after a doctor found his oxygen levels were dangerously low. He required oxygen support in the hospital and reported symptoms that included myalgia, cough and shortness of breath. The patient later recovered and was discharged from the hospital.

The patient had no significant underlying conditions and no indications of a compromised immunity.

Researchers determined the patient was in fact infected on two separate occasions after finding significant genetic differences between the viruses responsible for each infection.

These findings suggest that the patient was infected by SARS-CoV-2 on two separate occasions by a genetically distinct virus,” the study’s authors wrote. “Thus, previous exposure to SARS-CoV-2 might not guarantee total immunity in all cases.”

There have been at least 22 documented cases of reinfection worldwide since the beginning of the pandemic, but it’s not clear how common reinfection may be.

From the actual published article:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30764-7/fulltext

again: my BOLD

Findings
The patient had two positive tests for SARS-CoV-2, the first on April 18, 2020, and the second on June 5, 2020, separated by two negative tests done during follow-up in May, 2020. Genomic analysis of SARS-CoV-2 showed genetically significant differences between each variant associated with each instance of infection. The second infection was symptomatically more severe than the first.

However, and it might be a very big however, it seems so far something along the lines of only 22 "confirmed" cases of re-infection have been discovered. That doesn't mean there weren't more cases with milder symptoms where folks didn't bother seeking treatment/testing.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH

One of the reasons I’m thinking about thus is that I’m around folks on a somewhat regular basis that are anywhere from medium to rather high risk. If I were immune, I can’t get them sick.

That , and I’m sick and sick, and sick and TIRED of this crap and want to just rip the bandaid off.....

Hey Dutch,

I mentioned being about ready to do as you propose a couple of weeks back. I'm about done with it all. Want to get it over with, not just for me, but for "society" at large.

Not sure where we're going to end up with all this, the radio program I was listening to the other day was really leaning towards all of the "new normal" crap, of course it was NPR. (shocked I wasn't). They did mention some things they were doing in Taiwan that appeared to be working, not too terribly intrusive, but enough many of us would not go for it here.

When the numbers all shake out later in this saga, maybe we'll know if this crap is "worse" than the related cold viruses, and like them we humans never end up with a perfect immunity to it.

If, there is more than one strain, as appears to have been genetically seen already, we might all just be fugged and we hope if we get it it isn't too bad. Mr Nevada mentioned in the above study appears to have been relatively healthy, yet his second case seems to have been his worse. Maybe "we" get lucky and it gets shown that most folks develop a stronger immunity than that fellow.

Sure doesn't seem to be getting any more convenient for any of use.

Hope the fishies are doing well.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Valsdad
From the actual published article:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30764-7/fulltext

From the article ...
"The mechanisms that could account for a more severe secondary infection can only be speculated. First, a very high dose of virus might have led to the second instance of infection and induced more severe disease.Second, it is possible that reinfection was caused by a version of the virus that was more virulent, or more virulent in this patient's context. Third, a mechanism of antibody-dependent enhancement might be the cause, a means by which specific Fc-bearing immune cells become infected with virus by binding to specific antibodies. "

Also ...
"A major limitation of our case study is that we were unable to undertake any assessment of the immune response to the first episode of SARS-CoV-2 infection."

So they don't know if the person developed antibodies from the first case.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by gregintenn
I’ve had a cold more than once. Same with the flu. What makes you think this is a one and done proposition?

To answer your question, I’ve no idea how my family and myself have avoided getting it so far, but I wouldn’t consider purposefully contracting any disease. That seems foolish.

I won't say that I want to go out and catch this crap on purpose.

But, on the other hand, 60 years ago and before for time immemorial, lots of folks purposely exposed their kids to mumps, or chicken pox, or three day measles. It was a lot easier on the person to go through them at a young age. And the family could somewhat schedule the event to a time of most convenience.

Heaven forbid one catch mumps as an adult. "That schitt can make you STERILE!"

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

463 members (160user, 22kHornet, 257man, 17CalFan, 22250rem, 10Glocks, 42 invisible), 1,800 guests, and 1,112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,874
Posts18,478,834
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.