Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I’ve killed a lot of good Whitetail bucks. Only one or two legitimate monster trophies but a lot of 120 class bucks.

I’ve been on one archery elk hunt DIY on public land and got to draw my bow on a 330 class but couldn’t get the shot off. Still an incredible experience. So I’ve been blessed with a good hunting career.

That said, this year I will be hunting with a rifle on a general public land tag out west. My first mule deer hunt. I’m wondering what a realistic expectation or self-imposed minimum should be. I’m fine letting Small Bucks walk but not sure what I should be OK shooting. This may be a stupid question but I thought I’d bounce it off of you guys anyway

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
What state/zone.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
What state/zone.

I’ll be around Salmon Idaho. It is a general tag so I’ve got some flexibility and I will be truck camping. I’m cool walking a lot if I need to and can bivy out. I’ve only got five days so just plan on walking and sitting and glassing and trying to get on a buck.

Last edited by MosesTucker; 10/15/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anything bigger than a 2 point. You may even wish you'd had shot one of them before you are done. There are so many hunters all over Idaho anymore that finding a truly big buck in a general hunt is beyond difficult. The deer get the heck shot out of them with near unbelievable hunting pressure. If you see a 3x4 or similar in the 16"-20" wide range (3 yr old, horns ~ wide as ears) you will be doing good. There are a few of the 4 and 5 year olds around but they know what is up and it takes snow or the rut to get them out of the high country. Neither of those are likely to happen in general rifle season Oct 10-24. Hate to lay it out like that and wish it were different, but that has not been the case in the last 10 years. Good luck, maybe you will be 'the guy' to stumble onto a giant.

Last edited by centershot; 10/15/20.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Whichever deer you find that makes you think, "This is going to make for a memorable hunt."

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by centershot
Anything bigger than a 2 point. You may even wish you'd had shot one of them before you are done. There are so many hunters all over Idaho anymore that finding a truly big buck in a general hunt is beyond difficult. The deer get the heck shot out of them with near unbelievable hunting pressure. If you see a 3x4 or similar in the 16"-20" wide range (3 yr old, horns ~ wide as ears) you will be doing good. There are a few of the 4 and 5 year olds around but they know what is up and it takes snow or the rut to get them out of the high country. Neither of those are likely to happen in general rifle season Oct 10-24. Hate to lay it out like that and wish it were different, but that has not been the case in the last 10 years. Good luck, maybe you will be 'the guy' to stumble onto a giant.

Thanks for that explanation of what to expect. I really appreciate it and would rather have the straight facts than for someone to be unrealistic. It will be nice to see some beautiful country and if I can get on a good three-point or four point and I will consider myself double blessed!

M
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by horse1
Whichever deer you find that makes you think, "This is going to make for a memorable hunt."

I like that advice. I think it’s easy to get too caught up in chasing trophies. At least for me I have to be careful that I don’t forget to have a good time regardless, and make memories along the way!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think it was Jack O'Connor who said don't pass up on the first day what you would kill on the last day.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by horse1

You might look at the area north and east of Leadore .Closed FS roads roads lead into some good country. Find places that don't attract road hunters and don't pass on an opportunity at a mature buck. Treat yourself to dinner and drinks in the bar at The Shady Nook in Salmon.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MosesTucker
Originally Posted by centershot

Thanks for that explanation of what to expect. I really appreciate it and would rather have the straight facts than for someone to be unrealistic. It will be nice to see some beautiful country and if I can get on a good three-point or four point and I will consider myself double blessed!

I think you are on the right track. It is an amazing place. Steep and rocky - you will earn whatever you get and it will definitely leave an impression. Don't forget your fishing pole.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks Mike and Centershot. Good input

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Shoot whatever makes you happy within the legal boundaries, ain’t nobody gonna laugh at you for shootin’ a dink. 😉

PS...have a great hunt 👍

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

P I C S

or it didn't happen.......

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

OP

have you met 'Flave yet ?

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

M
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by tikkanut

P I C S

or it didn't happen.......

Haha fair enough

M
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M

OP

No I haven’t. Still pretty new to the forum. Came over here on Big Sky’s recommendation. I know him from Rokslide. So far I’m loving it.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Have a great trip and shoot a buck that makes you happy. Remember to look around and enjoy the country you're in.

Take some pictures and let us see them when you get back!

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some of the best venison I've ever had came from a sagebrush 4x4 muley that hailed from northern Colorado.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IMHO:
Enjoy the opportunity to hunt where Bob Hagel's spirit roams. Might be worth visiting the Salmon Cemetery before you start your hunt..

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by MosesTucker

OP

No I haven’t. Still pretty new to the forum. Came over here on Big Sky’s recommendation. I know him from Rokslide. So far I’m loving it.

I'll send him over

he always welcomes the new bees

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (17CalFan, 222Sako, 22250rem, 12344mag, 160user, 1Longbow, 51 invisible), 2,066 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,009
Posts18,481,461
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.