Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've had really good luck with Kimber Montanas through the years but am curious on other rifles. I may be in the market. I'm not opposed to building one either. I've run into a few issues on hunts over the years. Had the old style M70 trigger fail to pick up the sear, had a magazine spacer in a Kimber pop off, had a M700 trigger freeze after it fell in the snow, etc. Im not inclined to bash any brand, rifles are simple machines and can break/malfunction on occasion.

My goals are almost always the same: 7.5-7.75 lbs with scope, dependable in the backcountry, stainless/synthetic, and stock with 1/2" to no more than 1" drop at heel. 5/8" is about perfect. Prefer 23" barrels, wont own another over 24". I am biased toward Mauser style extractors but AM open to push feeds. I want MOA or better from my hand loads.

I've owned a couple Browning Stainless Stalkers back in the day and was not real impressed with some of the parts. I've owned more than a few Remingtons and generally had good luck. I really like Win M70s but they tend to fail the weight limit and trying to find an aftermarket stock is a challenge. Kimbers have been good to me but want a bit more weight in their larger offerings. I've never owned a Tikka/Sako, Christenen, newer Browning, or Weatherby. I do see most of the last mentioned have lighter models seemingly designed for backcountry hunting. Some have 26" barrels which I find burdensome in the field.

Alot of rambling to say - what are you all using in the backcountry? How durable/dependable have they been? Any comments on the backcountry models from Christensen, Weatherby, or Browning? Have the MOA guarantees been valid with a bit of prudent handloading?

Thanks.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bwinters
I've had really good luck with Kimber Montanas through the years but am curious on other rifles. I may be in the market. I'm not opposed to building one either. I've run into a few issues on hunts over the years. Had the old style M70 trigger fail to pick up the sear, had a magazine spacer in a Kimber pop off, had a M700 trigger freeze after it fell in the snow, etc. Im not inclined to bash any brand, rifles are simple machines and can break/malfunction on occasion.

My goals are almost always the same: 7.5-7.75 lbs with scope, dependable in the backcountry, stainless/synthetic, and stock with 1/2" to no more than 1" drop at heel. 5/8" is about perfect. Prefer 23" barrels, wont own another over 24". I am biased toward Mauser style extractors but AM open to push feeds. I want MOA or better from my hand loads.

I've owned a couple Browning Stainless Stalkers back in the day and was not real impressed with some of the parts. I've owned more than a few Remingtons and generally had good luck. I really like Win M70s but they tend to fail the weight limit and trying to find an aftermarket stock is a challenge. Kimbers have been good to me but want a bit more weight in their larger offerings. I've never owned a Tikka/Sako, Christenen, newer Browning, or Weatherby. I do see most of the last mentioned have lighter models seemingly designed for backcountry hunting. Some have 26" barrels which I find burdensome in the field.

Alot of rambling to say - what are you all using in the backcountry? How durable/dependable have they been? Any comments on the backcountry models from Christensen, Weatherby, or Browning? Have the MOA guarantees been valid with a bit of prudent handloading?

Thanks.

It sounds to me like you ought to build one. I have a Christensen Mesa. I just did a little more shooting with it over the weekend. It's an easy MOA performer. It did have to go back to the factory for a new ejector spring. The turnaround time was incredibly fast. Complaints about Tikka and Weatherby are very rare. I don't know what they offer with a sub 24" barrel though.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Sounds like you need to try a Tikka.

Depending on scope and mounts, you may make the weight limit with a M70 XTR Winlite or a Weatherby Vanguard Wilderness/Backcountry.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by TomM1
Sounds like you need to try a Tikka.

Depending on scope and mounts, you may make the weight limit with a M70 XTR Winlite or a Weatherby Vanguard Wilderness/Backcountry.

Tikka is a good choice and more economical than other options

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've had a few Tikkas in my hand. They fit me fairly well and seem to recall they have plastic trigger guards? And detachable magazines? I'm not a fan of either but they've been around long enough now I'd be curious how the plastic/polymer has held up to CroMagnon treatment (I'm not real gentle with the equipment).

The Christensen has my interest. I do recall a few QA/QC issues years back and wonder if they have been resolved.

I'm open to Weatherby's now that they have something other than the Mark V and mirror finish stocks and 10 lb rifles. I know folks that have used the Vanguard with no complaints but the people using them aren't what I'd consider backcountry hunters.

A bit more on what I'm chewing on - simplicity. I've been reducing the herd in recent years and am eyeballing a 2 rifle battery - elk size and bigger, deer size and smaller. For cartridge's, I'm thinking 300 WSM for elk+ and a 6.5 PRC for deer size. A 30-06 and 6.5 or 30-06/270 are also considerations. The 30-06/270 is attractive not because they do everything perfect but because they are available everywhere. I've considered the 1 rifle battery but shooting a 100 ln pronghorn or deer with a 300 WSM seems a tad much. I previously owned a Kimber 270 and it covered most of what I needed to do, currently have a Kimber 280 AI but its a tad on the light side with 160-175 grain max loads.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...For cartridge's, I'm thinking 300 WSM for elk+ and a 6.5 PRC for deer size. A 30-06 and 6.5 or 30-06/270 are also considerations. The 30-06/270 is attractive not because they do everything perfect but because they are available everywhere. I've considered the 1 rifle battery but shooting a 100 ln pronghorn or deer with a 300 WSM seems a tad much. I previously owned a Kimber 270 and it covered most of what I needed to do, currently have a Kimber 280 AI but its a tad on the light side with 160-175 grain max loads.

Several years ago I bought a Ruger .30-06 from CDNNsports.com for a wedding gift to a SIL. It was a synthetic-stocked/blue Hawkeye with a 20" barrel. Daughter sent me a scope for it, which I mounted and sighted in. Love that rifle - light, very handy, Ruger rugged, sturdy stock and accurate. If I didn't already have three .30-06s I'd get one. CDNN still has them for $499.

A note on the stock. I hate flimsy synthetics. I have two of the Ruger synthetics like this and like them a lot. Nothing flimsy about them

https://www.cdnnsports.com/30-06-hm77rlfp-20-syn-ultra.html?___SID=U#.X42IX9BKiUk

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 10/20/20. Reason: 20", not 30"

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
...For cartridge's, I'm thinking 300 WSM for elk+ and a 6.5 PRC for deer size. A 30-06 and 6.5 or 30-06/270 are also considerations. The 30-06/270 is attractive not because they do everything perfect but because they are available everywhere. I've considered the 1 rifle battery but shooting a 100 ln pronghorn or deer with a 300 WSM seems a tad much. I previously owned a Kimber 270 and it covered most of what I needed to do, currently have a Kimber 280 AI but its a tad on the light side with 160-175 grain max loads.

Several years ago I bought a Ruger .30-06 from CDNNsports.com for a wedding gift to a SIL. It was a synthetic-stocked/blue Hawkeye with a 30" barrel. Daughter sent me a scope for it, which I mounted and sighted in. Love that rifle - light, very handy, Ruger rugged, sturdy stock and accurate. If I didn't already have three .30-06s I'd get one. CDNN still has them for $499.

A note on the stock. I hate flimsy synthetics. I have two of the Ruger synthetics like this and like them a lot. Nothing flimsy about them

https://www.cdnnsports.com/30-06-hm77rlfp-20-syn-ultra.html?___SID=U#.X42IX9BKiUk

30INCH barrel? I assume you mean 20?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I snagged a CDNN Ruger too, but if he's really determined not to go over 7.5# scoped, these are too heavy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you are truly going to limit yourself to two main rifles that you'll use, I'd recommend building. Costs more, but limits the concessions...

As far as cartridge choice, if you are set on the 300WSM for the elk+, I'd look for a chambering that has a very similar trajectory to your favored load. For example, a 6.5 Creedmoor 130gr bullet or a 270 150gr bullet would track very similarly to a 180gr of same make out of a 300 WSM.

Last edited by pointer; 10/19/20.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
All of my light mtn rifles are M700's. Mtn rifles with the skinny bbls can be found, lightweight stocks are easier to find (and sometimes less expensive), so are various parts--TA, bottom metal, etc, and more of them can be found in SS.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've used alot of Rugers and really like them. I've yet to own one under 8 lbs, even with a light scope. With an SHV, theyll weigh closer to 9lbs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’d suggest Tikka or the newer Browning XBolt line.

I’ve owned several T3s and they were all under MOA with just about any load and they held up well. I just recently got a Browning Hells Canyon Speed and there is a lot to like about it. Time will tell if it hold up but the accuracy and light weight boxes are Checked off.

Last edited by 444Matt; 10/19/20.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A few of these have hit the fields and the reports are good. It checks all of your boxes but it has a 22" barrel. Of course about 0% of the people who would consider a custom end up with a Savage. https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=57577

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Paul - thanks for the link. I hadnt considered a Savage. They are the red-headed step children of rifle looneys but I know a buddy of mine has weather warrior or some such name. He swears by it and has killed several animals on guided hunts. I'll have a look. Thank you.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Paul - thanks for the link. I hadnt considered a Savage. They are the red-headed step children of rifle looneys but I know a buddy of mine has weather warrior or some such name. He swears by it and has killed several animals on guided hunts. I'll have a look. Thank you.

I have NEVER been disappointed by Savage. I think if I were to start over with no rifles, I'd build a completely Savage arsenal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
7lbs. 2oz

[Linked Image]

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Kimber rifle, add weight in your scope.
My 280ai is 7#s flat with a 3-18x44 scope and cheek rest.

Pitter Patter!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
16 - is that a Tikka T3X Superlite?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Nashville
Kimber rifle, add weight in your scope.
My 280ai is 7#s flat with a 3-18x44 scope and cheek rest.

I have a Kimber Montana 280 AI. With a 23 oz Burris Veracity and Talley LW, it weighs 7lb 1 oz.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
tikka or a fieldcraft if you can find one

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

676 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 16gage, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 3,028 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,847
Posts18,478,411
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.