Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Lots of excellent thoughts on this thread. I have homework cool Thank you all!

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by bwinters
I've run into a few issues on hunts over the years. Had the old style M70 trigger fail to pick up the sear,

Did you determine what caused the trigger failure?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Mostly me I think. When I adjusted the trigger pull, I apparently didnt tighten the 2 nuts down enough on the trigger spring. They worked loose and didnt provide enough spring tension to engage the sear every time.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Thanks.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Lots of excellent thoughts on this thread. I have homework cool Thank you all!

Something to factor into your thinking. -

The Canadian Rangers who consist mostly of native Americans have been equipped with SMLE 303 rifles for decades because of their reliability under harsh conditions and ability to perform with minimal maintenance. After extensive trials the rifle chosen to replace them was the Tikka T3 - that says a lot for the T3 IMO.

A couple of decades back I had some interaction with some of the Canadian Rangers and saw first hand how their rifles were treated - let me just say that if you have been on a reservation and seen what it looks like then it will give you a good idea of their rifle care.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks d - I hadnt heard that.

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
Taking everything you said into consideration...

For the smaller caliber rifle, I’d go Tikka T3x, in .308 or 6.5cm.
As for the plastic trigger guard, if it bugs ya you can always swap it out for an aftermarket metal one. Plug n play, easy to install. There’s a couple different companies who make em, here’s some made in Montana-
https://tikkaperformance.com/Tikka-T3-T3x-Bottom-Metal

For the larger caliber rifle(and to scratch that Mauser style CRF itch)... I’d track down a Ruger M77 Hawkeye all weather ss. They’re easily found(both new & used) on the online auction sites, gun shows, and some retailers still have em in stock.
(Although that CDNN one lists as a 20” blued barrel, most of the stainless versions I’ve seen are 22”+).
Whichever caliber you like. I’m fond of 30-06 myself.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the link - I wasnt aware anyone made bottom metal for the Tikka.

I really like the looks of the Bergara Premier Mountain. Why not more standard cartridges is a bit perplexing but it's their company. I'd think they could sell a few more with a 30-06 and 270 as standard offerings.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I really like the looks of the Bergara Premier Mountain. Why not more standard cartridges is a bit perplexing but it's their company. I'd think they could sell a few more with a 30-06 and 270 as standard offerings.

Bergara Premier Mountain .270

https://grabagun.com/bergara-barrels-bpr18-270f-mountain-rifle.html

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bill- drive up to Smoky Mtn Knife Works and check out the Bergara and the Tikka Superlite that they have. They had the Bergara Premier Highlander in 6.5 PRC and 300 PRC today when I stopped in. They had 4 or 5 of the Tikka Superlites with the Roughtech stock on the shelf. I didn't look to see what all the calibers were but they were there.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Here's one that happens to be for sale in Tennessee. I don't know the guy at all; but, I love the rifle as it is the twin to mine:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...n-1-0-308-w-663-test-target#Post15321099

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Will do. Thanks!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hikerbum
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

Several years ago I bought a Ruger .30-06 from CDNNsports.com for a wedding gift to a SIL. It was a synthetic-stocked/blue Hawkeye with a 30" barrel. Daughter sent me a scope for it, which I mounted and sighted in. Love that rifle - light, very handy, Ruger rugged, sturdy stock and accurate. If I didn't already have three .30-06s I'd get one. CDNN still has them for $499.

A note on the stock. I hate flimsy synthetics. I have two of the Ruger synthetics like this and like them a lot. Nothing flimsy about them

https://www.cdnnsports.com/30-06-hm77rlfp-20-syn-ultra.html?___SID=U#.X42IX9BKiUk

30INCH barrel? I assume you mean 20?

Yes, 20". Thanks for pointing that out. I corrected the original; post.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I was recently on a search for a medium light weight 30-06 and landed on the Bergara Premier Mountain. Since they were discontinued, I e-mailed Bergara and asked if they would be releasing a long action standard bolt face version with their Premier Mountain 2.0. They responded the next morning stating, no, they had been discontinued due to lack of sales.

I ended up locating a new/old stock rifle at a gun shop in Utah and had it sent up. I have only had it a few days and have not shot it yet, but overall impressions are very good. The biggest complaint is the weight is slightly higher than listed spec. My rifle weighs 6#-8oz. Listed weight is 6#-3oz.

As a couple other posters have noted there are still a few .270s to by found. I didn't find any .280AI's and only found the one 30-06 when I was in search mode. One minor thing to be aware of, the first two years of production used Timney triggers and had a round top receiver. These have D and E letter prefixes in the S/N's. The third year of production (F prefix) and new 2.0 version used Triggertech triggers and have a milled rear bridge on the receiver to accept Remington 700 scope bases.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Good info. I wasnt aware they were ever made in standard cartridges. Thanks!

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Sounds like a Husqvarna 4100 restocked in carbon fiber would sure meet the requirements. Bulletproof dependable and about the right weight.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've owned a number of rifles from Winchester, Ruger, Remington and Weatherby and I currently own four Christensen Arms which I like very much for out of the box function and accuracy. But, to answer your question, my specs would be a Remington 700 action (or clone), a carbon fiber barrel by Proof or similar and a stock by Manners, McMillan or AG all assembled by a qualified smith. I just don't see how you could go wrong with this combo.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Accurate rifle's for back country use? What do you call accurate? In the right hands a 30-30 lever action might be just the thing. In other hands anything less that a full blown custom long range custom rifle might be needed, In the vast majority of situations a rifle grouping 1 1/2" at 100yds off a bench is more than accurate enough. Well only in theory I guess as I like my rifle's to give 1" or less. Most of mine go into much less than one inch and a rifle that won't make 1" generally goes down the road. My one exception is my 1903 Springfield built by Paul Jaeger in1945. The original owner shot a lot of military ammo through it with corrosive components and the barrel is pretty badly pitted. Still get 1 1/4" out of it and it was my elk rifle while I was still hunting. Killed three elk with it the longest shot just over 200yds! three shot's three down elk! But the rifle itself is fairly heavy, bit over 8#. About like carrying a 7# rifle and a backpack with 1# in it! I think if carrying an 8# or even 9# rifle is to much, you need to excerise in the off season. My 6.5x06 has got two elk with two shots and with the scope mounted and no ammo in it, it's right at 9#.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have a Ruger K77 MKII .308 stainless/zytel with a Leupold M8 4x in Leupold mounts and a Nosler 48 Liberty .308 with a 4.75 fixed Weaver Grand Slam in Talley lightweights. Both are rugged and accurate.

Last edited by Eric308; 10/23/20.

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -Isaac Asimov

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I found, for me, what you describe in a Rifles Inc 284 with an extended box on. Rem 700 lefty SA. I replaced the bolt with a PTG one. Scoped it comes in at 6.25 lbs. Have taken game to 500 yards. Very accurate. But they can make up a rifle fitting your criteria in any number of cartridges and configurations. However, considerably over the cost of the OTC offerings you mention.

While I have a Christianson Arms Ridgeline in 243 and like the quality, it’s far from a lightweight with its scope. But a friend’s son has one in the other (?) model in 300 PRC and it’s much handier. Again quality seems to be there.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

135 members (1beaver_shooter, 14idaho, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 300_savage, 16penny, 23 invisible), 1,420 guests, and 1,008 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,655
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.