Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Tks, I'm still wrapping my head around all this old guy stuff smile

Wait till you have to deal with Medicare.....

My dad suffered with shingles, I got the shot's as soon as I was eligible.

"My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income."

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I had shingles when I was 14 .I got the first vaccine when it came out.Now the doc said I should get this new 2 shot one

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
I did it. It took two shots about three months apart. I did not suffer any flu like symptoms. My arm was the slightest bit sore at the injection site for a couple of days.

Same, same.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I had chicken pox as a young kid. Got shingles on my neck and head at 52 y/o, that was 9 years ago. No fun. I think I'll get the vaccine soon.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Our doctor is not so keen on the new shot, wife, and I had the old one. I wish, the two shot was cheaper.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Our doctor is not so keen on the new shot

Care to elaborate why?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How much does the two-shot vaccine course cost?

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
We have had the first shot, I goes he does not think it's worth the money?

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
After watching my Mom's suffering with shingles which stopped just mm's from going in her eyes you better believe I got the Shingrex shots !

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My wife and I got the old series years ago. New shots came out, Doc said to get them and we did. Wife's first shot put her under the weather for a couple of days. Second one, no problem.
I took both without issue.

IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
You may well be right.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I just got over 4 weeks of shingles (I'm 77).

Didn't get the shot 3 years ago because my medical insurance wouldn't pay for it and it cost almost $300. So I cheaped it and believe me, four weeks ago I would have paid a few thousand dollars to get over that misery.

Doc gave me same antiviral that people get for COVID, an antibiotic (because people with shingles lesions often get a secondary staph infection that is just as bad, lasts longer, and is more dangerous), a steroid, and opioid pain killers. I still had about a week of serious misery--extreme nerve pain, nonstop nausea so that I couldn't eat at all and could barely keep any water down, medium fever, huge headache, delirium, or so my wife says.. All the joys of COVID except nerve pain instead of respiratory symptoms. No sleep at all for four nights running. Some external scarring on places nobody sees anyway. Lost 18 pounds in about 8 days.

Found out that getting the vaccinations prevents re-occurrence of shingles in about 90% of cases, so I got the first shot as soon as I could, and am waiting for the second. My insurance and Medicare lower the cost to $94 for the two. Very slight soreness on my arm from the first, but the shingles sites STILL hurt more than the shot did.

I tell people "all you want or need to know about shingles is "Get the damn shots." AFTER that, ignorance really IS bliss....

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Mesa
I just got over 4 weeks of shingles (I'm 77).

Didn't get the shot 3 years ago because my medical insurance wouldn't pay for it and it cost almost $300. So I cheaped it and believe me, four weeks ago I would have paid a few thousand dollars to get over that misery.

Doc gave me same antiviral that people get for COVID, an antibiotic (because people with shingles lesions often get a secondary staph infection that is just as bad, lasts longer, and is more dangerous), a steroid, and opioid pain killers. I still had about a week of serious misery--extreme nerve pain, nonstop nausea so that I couldn't eat at all and could barely keep any water down, medium fever, huge headache, delirium, or so my wife says.. All the joys of COVID except nerve pain instead of respiratory symptoms. No sleep at all for four nights running. Some external scarring on places nobody sees anyway. Lost 18 pounds in about 8 days.

Found out that getting the vaccinations prevents re-occurrence of shingles in about 90% of cases, so I got the first shot as soon as I could, and am waiting for the second. My insurance and Medicare lower the cost to $94 for the two. Very slight soreness on my arm from the first, but the shingles sites STILL hurt more than the shot did.

I tell people "all you want or need to know about shingles is "Get the damn shots." AFTER that, ignorance really IS bliss....

Vaccine deniers operate on an intellectual level identical to that of holocaust deniers.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I was given the older, single dose version maybe 3 yrs ago. My PCP advised me to get the newer 2 dose version last year, which I did. Side effects were minimal. I encourage others to get the newer version. Ymmv.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Any reason at all not to?

I'm over 60, had chicken pox as a kid.

I had it at 40. I do not want to repeat that experience. I had a shingles shot a few years back. I got 2 Shingrix shots last year.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by wabigoon
We have had the first shot, I goes he does not think it's worth the money?

You need a better doc, Richard.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I am 73, I am not taking their vaccines, just have no idea what it is in that concoction.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I got the new one last year. Both shots kicked my butt for a day. Thinking that's not a bad thing as it means my immune system got going on it and created the anti-bodies it's supposed to. Better than getting shingles.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Tks for the input all, I’ll go get the shot or shots.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Tks for the input all, I’ll go get the shot or shots.

The Single application had around a 70% success rate. I doubt they even manufacture it anymore. The new shot is over 90% effective.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1minute, 219DW, 2500HD, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 270cowboy, 60 invisible), 2,388 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,170
Posts18,503,164
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.