Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Oregon has a “liquor search “ site and I try to keep a stash of my favorite which is Weller 107. We haven’t gotten any shipments for weeks now and there are only 7 bottles left in the state and they are far from me. I have never got to try the Weller 12 Year as the liquor store folks grab ALL of it for themselves. If anyone can hook me up with a bottle I would make it worthwhile for you. In the meantime I will sip on my stash of 107 and fall back on Buffalo Trace. Cheers!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If you like wheated bourbons have you tried?: Larceny, Maker's Mark 46, 1792 Sweet Wheat, or Rebel Yell? Don't get caught up in all the Buffalo Trace Distillery hype (they are good at it tho). They are good but not all that special. There are a lot of really good and available bourbons out there. If you already haven't, try some of the Wild Turkey products like 101, Rare Breed, Russell's Reserve 10 yr or Single Barrel. Also, Old Forester 1910 & 1920, Knob Creek Single Barrel, Elijah Craig Barrel Proof Single Barrel, Four Roses Single Barrel, Jack Daniel's Barrel Proof Single Barrel. If you like your bourbon light and not too spicy, try Yellowstone Select. Use this time of Buffalo Trace product scarcity due to hysteria and super-hype to explore other quality offerings and expand your palate's horizons. I used to drink Weller Special Reserve and Antique 107 when they were on the shelf in the $20-30 range. When they went crazy as "The Poor Man's Pappy" and the prices zoomed up I went looking elsewhere. I don't miss them and have about 15 different bourbons, ryes and single malt scotch in my cabinet that I thoroughly enjoy. I just had a Rare Breed bourbon and the new Rare Breed Rye tonight and really enjoyed them.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you find some in my area I'll go get it for you. *Grants Pass

Last edited by Fireball2; 10/21/20.

LOL
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
This is good stuff and I am sipping it now.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by papalondog
and fall back on Buffalo Trace. Cheers!

If you like that panther piss, no need to waste good money on good bourbon........................

MM

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Way above my price range. Enjoy it when you find some.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
and fall back on Buffalo Trace. Cheers!

If you like that panther piss, no need to waste good money on good bourbon........................

MM
lolol

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oregon has a “liquor search “ site and I try to keep a stash of my favorite which is Weller 107. We haven’t gotten any shipments for weeks now and there are only 7 bottles left in the state and they are far from me. I have never got to try the Weller 12 Year as the liquor store folks grab ALL of it for themselves. If anyone can hook me up with a bottle I would make it worthwhile for you. In the meantime I will sip on my stash of 107 and fall back on Buffalo Trace. Cheers!
Rebel Yell tastes nearly identical to Weller's. I would not doubt that it's the same exact whiskey. Don't waste money on Texacraft.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
That was my drink thirty+ years ago when it looked like this:

[Linked Image from malt-review.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I used to like Weller's too. It's still okay.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you could find Weller 107 anytime recently consider yourself lucky. I havent had Weller 107 in probably 3 or 4 years, maybe more. It used to be my standard everyday bourbon. But no more. Larceny is OK, but it's more of a replacement for standard Weller not the 107. I have moved on to Wild Turkey 101 or Knob Creek. I would still love to drink Weller 107 or 12 year, but it's not worth the time or money to find it.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by EdM
This is good stuff and I am sipping it now.

$30 IIRC.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
If you like 107, you should keep your eyes open for Larceny Barrel Proof. It's a little hotter than Antique, but drinks about the same. I'm not a fan of Weller Reserve!, but have a couple bottle of 12 year and maybe 6 of 107 stashed away. I collect bourbon and focus a lot on Buffalo Trace Distillery, but for a daily drinker, I got tired of BT raising prices to compete with the secondary market. Last year I was buying 750ml 107 for $22. Now I think MSRP is pushing $50 and secondary is a bit higher.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by cooper57m
If you like wheated bourbons have you tried?: Larceny, Maker's Mark 46, 1792 Sweet Wheat, or Rebel Yell? Don't get caught up in all the Buffalo Trace Distillery hype (they are good at it tho). They are good but not all that special. There are a lot of really good and available bourbons out there. If you already haven't, try some of the Wild Turkey products like 101, Rare Breed, Russell's Reserve 10 yr or Single Barrel. Also, Old Forester 1910 & 1920, Knob Creek Single Barrel, Elijah Craig Barrel Proof Single Barrel, Four Roses Single Barrel, Jack Daniel's Barrel Proof Single Barrel. If you like your bourbon light and not too spicy, try Yellowstone Select. Use this time of Buffalo Trace product scarcity due to hysteria and super-hype to explore other quality offerings and expand your palate's horizons. I used to drink Weller Special Reserve and Antique 107 when they were on the shelf in the $20-30 range. When they went crazy as "The Poor Man's Pappy" and the prices zoomed up I went looking elsewhere. I don't miss them and have about 15 different bourbons, ryes and single malt scotch in my cabinet that I thoroughly enjoy. I just had a Rare Breed bourbon and the new Rare Breed Rye tonight and really enjoyed them.

I recently found the Elijah Craig Barrel Proof at my local retailer, and it's a new favorite of mine... A bit high at $28+ but not out of the park high..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Are you willing to pay secondary market prices? If so you can easily get 107.

Around here pretty tough to find but somehow I have found 7 bottles Antique 107 this year, 3 weller full proof , and 2 12 years

When I see it at or close to msrp I grab it

Lots of other good wheated bourbons though if you can’t find it

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Weller?

Been a while since I had the Weller Antique. Been too lazy to get out and hunt for it. Here in KY you have to hound the stores with calls or visits to see what they put out on the shelves. Bottles go quickly.

BTW, for all the Blanton's fans, that Hancocks is really really close. Same mash bill, not sure if there is a difference in aging. Tastes the same to me.

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P

Tried most of these but not the Yellowstone or Rebel Yell. Haven’t found anything I like as well yet, but the hunting is fun. Blanton’s is really good too, but $60 here.

Last edited by papalondog; 10/22/20.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
So much fun stuff out there to try, isn't there? I have more than one I like and more than one I don't like...too many offerings to get stuck on just one!

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I'm hesitant to recommend restaurants or whiskies because tastes are so different. Nelson's Green Brier whisky is a wheated Tennessee whisky that suits my taste, widely available in my area, and reasonably priced. My favorite Tennessee whisky is Dickel barrel select, and I like Dickel #12 as well; it is not 12 years old as often stated - it is recipe #12.

https://greenbrierdistillery.com/nelsons-green-brier-tennessee-whiskey

Last edited by immature; 10/22/20.

Increasing my post count so people will buy stuff from me
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Redneck

I recently found the Elijah Craig Barrel Proof at my local retailer, and it's a new favorite of mine... A bit high at $28+ but not out of the park high..

Sheeeit Lee, can't even get standard Jim Beam up here for those $$.

White label Beam $31
Turkey 101 $33
Bulleit $36
Knob Creek $48
Woodford Reserve $49
Basil Hayden $56

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

188 members (1minute, 2five7, 2ndwind, 264mag, 17CalFan, 219 Wasp, 25 invisible), 2,104 guests, and 1,031 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,206
Posts18,503,850
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.