Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I stumbled upon a marijuana grow site in the woods in coastal northern California. Didn't see the guys who tended to the plants and got out fast.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Sma
Originally Posted by Remsen
I stumbled upon a marijuana grow site in the woods in coastal northern California. Didn't see the guys who tended to the plants and got out fast.

Smart move.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My ex wife.

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Snakes.... I fuggin hate snakes.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
I was working on a forestry crew in Yosemite Natl Park in the spring of 1967. We were checking out some down trees on the south side of Yosemite Valley under a hanging valley with a trickle of water coming over but should have been much more water. I looked up and saw a wall of mud and debris coming over the cliff above and shouted a warning and the 3 of us took off. We ran thru a creek so fast I swear my feet never got wet! I came back a few days later and saw where a boulder had hit a tree about where we were standing that almost knocked over a very large yellow pine tree.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My buddy taking a shidt. Full on turd coming out of his ass. <shudder>

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Then there was the time I was in Boy Sprouts in Oklahoma. Thunder storm was coming in and we were in the middle of a meadow. I looked at my buddy and every hair on his head was standing straight up. From the expression on his face so was mine. High tailed it into the tree line.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Dead guy in a car parked on a dead end skid row trail. Suicide.

shiver...

M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
Working in Yosemite in 1970 I was checking for White Pine Blister Rust along a stream near Hetch Hetchy. I came upon a small meadow and the grass was all mashed down. I saw a deer laying dead in the middle of the meadow. I noticed 2 puncher marks in her neck and she was still warm to the touch. I was wondering what had happened and thought she must have gotten tangled in some barb wire but there was none around. Then I realized I had come upon a fresh lion kill. Needless to say I did not stick around.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Murder Mountain, Humboldt county? Have you seen the Netflix series?

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I've run across a patch a time or three myself. Some of it was pretty good stuff.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A couple times I have been walking down a ridgeline, not paying attention like I should and as I come up and over a high spot, there's a griz too close for comfort. Those have always ended up OK though.

Scariest to me was up in the Wyoming Wind River mountains at 12,000 feet with lightning striking all around me. Several strikes I suspect were within 50 yards as I laid in the fetal position under a tarp sucking my thumb crying for mommy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Stophel
I've never seen anything scary in the woods. It's cities that are scary.

This for sure

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Charging grizzly. Fortunately bluff charge. He left and I left in the other direction.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Black angus bull exploding out of a small patch of pines on top of a 10,000’ Peak in Wyoming. Right as it was getting light enough to see. Had to side step him to avoid getting run TF over.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

Top 3

1) Pine Martin that owned the deer carcass i was checking out - came through the pine at face level snarling, and nashing his team.. scary SOB.

2) Lightning below me when I was trout fishing in Estes park... hell of a storm lighting above / around / below me..

3) Hail & Tornado storm in KS - Sky turned Opal green / white... 75 mph winds, lightning, Chit went sideways fast...

Runner up - Lightning Snow.. while pheasant hunting in Goodland KS, literally saw sparks coming off the gun barrels .. just weird [bleep]

I had a pine martin stake it's claim to a moose I'd shot. It was hilarious watching his antics. He was going to have that moose no matter what.

The scariest was one Labor Day when I was bowhunting on a high ridge. A freak snowstorm moved in along with lightning. I couldn't see 50 yds but the thunder was shaking the trees. I had no idea how close the lightning was so I bailed off the top of the ridge and headed straight down into the draw.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
About 15 years ago I was scouting a piece of land I had leased. It was a big open cut-over planted in short pines. I was walking thru some tall grass in a fairly open area when I took a step and felt the ground "give" a bit. I took a step back and noticed I'd stepped on an old rotten piece of plywood that was covered with dirt. I cautiously backed up and used my machete to lift the board, revealing a very old and very deep well. As I thought about it, I began to tremble thinking about what could have happened....

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
A darn big alligator!

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by T_Inman
A couple times I have been walking down a ridgeline, not paying attention like I should and as I come up and over a high spot, there's a griz too close for comfort. Those have always ended up OK though.

Scariest to me was up in the Wyoming Wind River mountains at 12,000 feet with lightning striking all around me. Several strikes I suspect were within 50 yards as I laid in the fetal position under a tarp sucking my thumb crying for mommy.

+1 on the lightening
Scary.

Bears........

Even deer have spooked me.

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
A darn big alligator!

Originally Posted by SCGunNut
About 15 years ago I was scouting a piece of land I had leased. It was a big open cut-over planted in short pines. I was walking thru some tall grass in a fairly open area when I took a step and felt the ground "give" a bit. I took a step back and noticed I'd stepped on an old rotten piece of plywood that was covered with dirt. I cautiously backed up and used my machete to lift the board, revealing a very old and very deep well. As I thought about it, I began to tremble thinking about what could have happened....

Yikes!

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1234, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,386 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,522
Posts18,491,050
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.