Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
2sticks Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Some of you know that my 11 year old German Shepherd passed away a few weeks ago. My 11 year old weimaraner passed away a year ago. Both were incredible dogs and highly trained.

My wife and I are beginning the talk of what dogs do we get next. A weimaraner is a gimme. They are just too damn entertaining and intelligent. But, we like having a dog that is very protective of its home and family. We have been considering a Doberman (my wife) and a malinios (me). I just don't know much about the malinios. I have heard that they are like a German Shepherd on crack.

Is there anyone on the campfire has/had malinios that is willing to give me real information?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Same situation here. Following this thread with interest,

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Ingwe will be along shortly

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
A highway patrol friend used one as his police dog for a long time, he said they're hyper. I don't know if they'd make a good pet, they'd probably take a lot of attention.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I had a long-legged mtn feist for 15 years that could outrun a coyote, kill cats, tree squirrels, and bark at anyone & everyone.

we'd like to replace her. a malinois might work.

she was a lover as a pet.

but she'd fight too.

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Mals are high energy, task specific dogs.

If you're not using it for work (daily) I would not get one.

Doberman's are worthless.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I’ve heard they don’t have the hip problems like Germans.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
The Malinios are very high engery and very intelligent, they would make you weimaraner seem stupid. They are definitely a Shepard on crack. I have one for a guard dog, best dam dog I ever had and I had some good one. Be prepared if you get a pup they will tare everything up. Mine learned to unlock the door knob and turn the knob to go out side by himself

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
We had a pit bull in town tearing up dogs that people are walking, after it did my plot hound. I took my malionios for a walk off leash, the pit got his ass tore up

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by viking
I’ve heard they don’t have the hip problems like Germans.

They're 100X's more resilient than a GS.

But you're hiring a motorhead to sit around the house and keep you company.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I throw my hat in the ring for the Doberman. We have two. Very alert without being aggressive. Maybe we just lucked out but they are the furthest thing from vicious. You come in my yard.....they don’t bark. They don’t growl or charge. They just watch every single move you make. If I shake your hand you’ll have two new buddies.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
On one of my deployments to Iraq, we got assigned a bomb dog / handler team and the dog was a half Malinios, half Pitbull mut. Or so that's what we were told. It was odd because all the other platoons got retrievers or beagles.

Anyway... can't remember what the dog's actual name was but we called him Stalin. Pretty sure ole Stalin couldn't sniff out an IED to save his or our lives but man... he was mean as chit and fuggin hated Iraqis. He would chew on the thick azz window bomb glass going ape chit if they got too close to the trucks.

Something to consider, I guess.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Made the same choice not long ago - based on the BM drive we went with the German Shepherd. Got two for the price of one malinois! That way when the hips go bad it'll cost twice as much...

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by copperking81
... he was mean as chit and fuggin hated Iraqis. He would chew on the thick azz window bomb glass going ape chit if they got too close to the trucks.

Good dog!

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Rifles And More
Made the same choice not long ago - based on the BM drive we went with the German Shepherd. Got two for the price of one malinois! That way when the hips go bad it'll cost twice as much...

They aren't cheap, paid 2 grand for mine, worth every penny

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
On one of my deployments to Iraq, we got assigned a bomb dog / handler team and the dog was a half Malinios, half Pitbull mut. Or so that's what we were told. It was odd because all the other platoons got retrievers or beagles.

Anyway... can't remember what the dog's actual name was but we called him Stalin. Pretty sure ole Stalin couldn't sniff out an IED to save his or our lives but man... he was mean as chit and fuggin hated Iraqis. He would chew on the thick azz window bomb glass going ape chit if they got too close to the trucks.

Anything "mixed" isn't a dog.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Give Ingwe a shout, I believe his pup Rommel is a Mal.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I ain’t seen a one on a leash that weren’t a total PITA to their owners who clearly bought the wrong dog.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by deflave

Anything "mixed" isn't a dog.

They're ALL mixed at one point. This makes no sense.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you want a dog that will protect the family at all cost, but is easy maintenance and a real lover take a look at Bull Mastiff's... My son and his wife have pugs and a Bull Mastiff, and I've never met a more family friendly dog that is more protective of his family. They are extremely gentle, but if someone get's even slightly aggressive with a member of the family they will interject themselves. They don't bite, instead they use their size to push people over and hold them in place as they were bred to as a working dog for game keepers to control poachers....

The only thing about them is they are big dogs ( around 130 lbs full grown), but they think of themselves as lap dogs because they want to be next to their people as much as possible.... Not sure I've ever seen a dog with more character....

My neighbor who lives at the property we are going to build our new house has a Malinois and it is super hyper.... seems friendly enough since I introduced myself to him carefully, but I'm not sure I would turn my back on him without knowing what kind of mood he is in...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (160user, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 219DW, 007FJ, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 2,261 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,276
Posts18,486,709
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.