-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Go for the Mal, spend the time to train it and don’t worry about your 6.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I have thought about getting one.
Still am thinking about it at times.
I aint up for a new pup right yet.
Blackjack and Brady are GTG for now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You will be fine if you have basic training skills and are willing to put the time in with the dog . A malinois without the proper obedience training is a Tasmanian devil .

If you are going to leave your dog kenneled much , don't get a Malinois . I you are going to leave your dog in a fenced yard unsupervised don't get a Malinois .

One of the most intelligent breeds I have owned and easy to train . The are excellent companions . Socialize them early or they can become one-man dogs .

Last edited by Rick n Tenn; 10/24/20.
2sticks Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
No one I know that is serious about having well a trained dog has ever said anything positive about a Doberman.

I absolutely love German shepherds, but the house full of hair gives my wife too much ammo against me. I have had two German shepherds and I have never been able to to brush them enough to keep shedded fur under control. Pisses her off. That is why she is thinking of a Doberman. I countered with the Belgian malinios. Both still shed, but, they both have shorter fur and shed less than shepards.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
A friend has a little female Malinois that grew up with my Lab. She's very bright. Her energy level is high but it's not off the charts.

I've seen enough to know that they can be trained to be effective K9s, but from what I've seen out of her, they're not excessively aggressive by nature.

IC B2

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
My son was a K9 officer and had/trained a german shepard dog as his companion and work dog. When that dog died he left the K9 unit for other assignments but loves dogs and he got a Belgian Malinios. Now he knows how to train dogs and he has had his hands full with the Malinios. They are very high strung and if you are not good at training dogs I would not recommend one base on what he has told me.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 2sticks

Is there anyone on the campfire has/had malinios that is willing to give me real information?

I think I can help with that....

DON'T get a Malinois.

They are not for the casual dog owner, or even the advanced one. They need to have a real job..not just protecting the house...they NEED to be doing something. If they aren't doing something, they will make you sorry you ever thought of the idea.

Yes, they are like a GSD on crack.They are a huge liability outside the working world.

I love Mals..I love working with Mals...I would hate to have to live with one....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Mals are high energy, task specific dogs.

If you're not using it for work (daily) I would not get one.

Doberman's are worthless.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^do yourself a big favor & get another GSD from good bloodlines that haven't had a history of hip issues.

MM

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by deflave
Mals are high energy, task specific dogs.

If you're not using it for work (daily) I would not get one.

Doberman's are worthless.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^do yourself a big favor & get another GSD from good bloodlines that haven't had a history of hip issues.

MM

I agree with all of the above...in spades.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
2sticks Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thank you gentlemen. That is the exact information I needed. I do not want to get a fully capable dog and do it wrong because I am not up to it's potential. I have been successful training my dogs to my standard, but I am definitely not being sought out for my dog training ability.

The malinios is probably more than I can reasonably handle. But, they are damn cool dogs.

I may just have to get a 1970s 'pet rock'. No vet bills. Won't crap in the house. And, the best part, I will die before it does.

Thanks everyone for the the responses.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
What he said.

My Son has 3 and two are about a year old.

He has 2 males and one female,the female is just an chewing machine.

The oldest male is a little nuts but the one that is a litter mate of the female is a darn good dog.

He is training the oldest as his service dog and when he has his harness on he is on the job.

They do have a crap load of energy.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 2sticks
Thank you gentlemen. That is the exact information I needed. I do not want to get a fully capable dog and do it wrong because I am not up to it's potential. I have been successful training my dogs to my standard, but I am definitely not being sought out for my dog training ability.

The malinios is probably more than I can reasonably handle. But, they are damn cool dogs.

I may just have to get a 1970s 'pet rock'. No vet bills. Won't crap in the house. And, the best part, I will die before it does.

Thanks everyone for the the responses.

Good thinking...we get to review a crapload of Malinois that have been bought by people cause they are cool, and end up in a shelter. Just looked at an 8 week old pup that had already been through 3 homes! And yeah ...he was definitely working stock....And one of my students ( who now runs a shelter) just took in a 9 month old Mal, which she is training for K9 ( another "pet" turn in...)

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Sounds like you need a blue heeler

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Considered a Malinois /GS cross?

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by BobBrown

What a dumb idea, prolly get the worst traits of both and just end up as another abandoned mongrel

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Mine keeps me busy

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Love Mals. Have a tremendous amount of admiration for their athleticism, intelligence, task focus and drive. I would not own one.

There are quite a few breeds that have a strong guarding instinct. Spend some time reading up on it. There are some surprises in the mix. Giant Schnauzers for example are smart, extremely loyal, family oriented and have a strong guarding instinct. They need a job though. Not to the extent that a Mal does. Probably more in line with a GS. Airedale terriers can also be good guard dogs. They are headstrong in general, but not unmanageable. They have been used as bear, lion and wolf dogs, and are tenacious in their given task. There are a lot of really cool breeds that would serve you well.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
Originally Posted by BobBrown

What a dumb idea, prolly get the worst traits of both and just end up as another abandoned mongrel

Yep. So dumb that military and LE do it regularly, . Stupid [bleep]

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
https://thehappypuppysite.com/belgian-malinois-german-shepherd-mix/

Add to that US Special Forces you ignorant azz

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
My son has an 85 pound 1/2 Mal x 1/2 German Shepard male. It has grown up with his youngest son. Boy was one year old when the puppy came home. What a wonderful dog. That boy as a toddler could not take a step outside but the dog was at his side. He worshiped/still worships that little boy.

The dog has spent his life alone in the house during the days while the family was away at work or school. He did well with that life.

The dog is eight years old now and getting weak in the hips. He can no longer jump into or out of a pickup bed. But he is still faithful and attentive.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (2500HD, 12344mag, 222Sako, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 61 invisible), 2,618 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,293
Posts18,486,934
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.