Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Okay so last year I ordered a trigger from a very reputable trigger company for my Winchester model 70 extreme weather SS that I have had for 11 years (I don't want to say what company makes this trigger, but it's a very nice trigger that a lot of people use). I had the trigger company set the trigger at 2.5 pounds for me before they shipped it, and it worked great for the last year or so. I probably put 100 rounds through it, give or take, no issues. A few months ago when I had the gun taken apart in my garage, I decided to try the trigger at 2 pounds instead of 2.5. I adjusted it, used loc-tite on the little trigger pound adjustment screw like how it was when shipped to me, tightened the nut, and put it all together (I did NOT adjust any of the other screws on the trigger, just the screw for pull weight). I verified the pull weight was 2 pounds with my pull weight scale and called it good. I then put around 30 rounds through it while at the range, no problems. It shot great, felt normal, etc, just like when it was at 2.5 pounds.

Fast forward to today and I am checking over the gun for deer season, cleaning it, etc. I rack the bolt and pull the trigger (no ammo in the gun, not even a snap cap which I usually have in the gun) and the trigger did not move. I look down and the trigger had "fired" when I closed the bolt. I did it a few more times and the faster I worked the bolt, the more often it did the same thing. If I worked the bolt slow, no problems. Needless to say I was concerned that simply working the bolt was making the trigger go off.

I don't want to blame the trigger because 1.) It could very well be my fault this happened and 2.) The trigger worked just fine at 2.5 and frankly, at 2 pounds up until today. By "up until today" I am talking about normal speed, working the bolt at the range. Just your average speed.

But my question is, what do you supposed caused it to "go off" when I work the bolt fast? I did not clean the bolt today so no changes to that. And when I say fast, I mean fast as in, you shoot a deer and you immediately work the bolt to put another round in the chamber to get a possible second shot off. In other words, real world, normal fast.

I took the rifle apart again after this happened, put the trigger weight up to 2.75 pounds to be safe (based on my trigger pull scale) and so far, no issues after using a snap cap and working the bolt 60 times or so this afternoon. I tried really working it super fast and so far, it's okay. I tried it with no snap cap and it is still okay.

I thought, well maybe I adjusted it to low... But, this trigger is SUPPOSED to be adjustable down to 1.5 pounds, so even after I adjusted it to 2 pounds, it should still have been okay and within normal ranges of adjustment. The loc-tite I put on it after I adjusted it a few months ago kept that little nut snug, so it did not get loose over the last few months/30 rounds or so.

What do you guys think happened? The only conclusion I can come up with is 2 pounds is too low for this trigger, despite it stating on the website it should be able to go to 1.5 pounds.... I usually post in this forum but if I need to move this post, please advise.
Thank you

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Not sure what to suggest except to call Timney. I've adjusted all my Timney triggers to 2lbs. without any issues of firing while slamming the bolt or jarring the stock.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Sounds like a sear engagement issue. I had something similar happen to a Weatherby Vanguard Trigger they made. The parts skipped heat treating. They immediately replaced the trigger.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
This is hindsight, but you should have pounded on the butt and slammed the bolt home numerous times first thing after you adjusted the trigger to check for this very problem.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I adjusted it

I'd return for a readjustment!

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You can also take a rubber mallet to the bore, striking it firmly and square. I have found this will trip a trigger that is too finely adjusted and may not trip with slamming the butt.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Good ideas, I will give it a good whack and send back if needed. Thanks

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
A good whack.....the old Toobin test LOL

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
If the striker follows down, the trigger is set wrong. Insufficient sear engagement, insufficient spring pressure, engagement angles not quite right; who knows? I suspect the weight of pull screw was simply backed off too far. Sometimes, it's a fine line. When working with a trigger like this, I like to back off the weight of pull adjustment to the point the spring is not contacting at all and the trigger has to be held forward to engage. Cock the rifle (by holding the trigger forward while cocking) and see what the trigger pulls with no influence by the spring. If it takes 2 pounds to trip the trigger, it is plain that you cannot adjust lighter than that. Now, one can reduce sear engagement (probably not a great idea) or hone the contact surfaces (also not a good idea unless you have the ability to do it correctly) but the best thing is to be sure the trigger is set to a weight of pull at which it is totally reliable. GD

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Years ago I put a custom trigger in a pre 64 model 70 and it went off when I took the safety off. On close examination I found that the new trigger was larger than the original and had minimum clearance to fit inside the factory trigger guard. With just enough resistance to retard the movement of the trigger when closing the bolt. I threw that trigger into the Roaring Fork river and went back to the stock, military style trigger and never looked back.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I would be tempted to go back to the original trigger set by a gun smith at 2.5 - 2.75 lbs. It is one of the better trigger designs and the only one that is more robust and reliable is the John Paul Mauser design. If your rifle had the original Model 70 trigger.

There are too many variables to try to diagnose via the internet.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Win70brett
Okay so last year I ordered a trigger from a very reputable trigger company for my Winchester model 70 extreme weather SS that I have had for 11 years (I don't want to say what company makes this trigger, but it's a very nice trigger that a lot of people use). I had the trigger company set the trigger at 2.5 pounds for me before they shipped it, and it worked great for the last year or so. I probably put 100 rounds through it, give or take, no issues. A few months ago when I had the gun taken apart in my garage, I decided to try the trigger at 2 pounds instead of 2.5. I adjusted it, used loc-tite on the little trigger pound adjustment screw like how it was when shipped to me, tightened the nut, and put it all together (I did NOT adjust any of the other screws on the trigger, just the screw for pull weight). I verified the pull weight was 2 pounds with my pull weight scale and called it good. I then put around 30 rounds through it while at the range, no problems. It shot great, felt normal, etc, just like when it was at 2.5 pounds.

Fast forward to today and I am checking over the gun for deer season, cleaning it, etc. I rack the bolt and pull the trigger (no ammo in the gun, not even a snap cap which I usually have in the gun) and the trigger did not move. I look down and the trigger had "fired" when I closed the bolt. I did it a few more times and the faster I worked the bolt, the more often it did the same thing. If I worked the bolt slow, no problems. Needless to say I was concerned that simply working the bolt was making the trigger go off.

I don't want to blame the trigger because 1.) It could very well be my fault this happened and 2.) The trigger worked just fine at 2.5 and frankly, at 2 pounds up until today. By "up until today" I am talking about normal speed, working the bolt at the range. Just your average speed.

But my question is, what do you supposed caused it to "go off" when I work the bolt fast? I did not clean the bolt today so no changes to that. And when I say fast, I mean fast as in, you shoot a deer and you immediately work the bolt to put another round in the chamber to get a possible second shot off. In other words, real world, normal fast.

I took the rifle apart again after this happened, put the trigger weight up to 2.75 pounds to be safe (based on my trigger pull scale) and so far, no issues after using a snap cap and working the bolt 60 times or so this afternoon. I tried really working it super fast and so far, it's okay. I tried it with no snap cap and it is still okay.

I thought, well maybe I adjusted it to low... But, this trigger is SUPPOSED to be adjustable down to 1.5 pounds, so even after I adjusted it to 2 pounds, it should still have been okay and within normal ranges of adjustment. The loc-tite I put on it after I adjusted it a few months ago kept that little nut snug, so it did not get loose over the last few months/30 rounds or so.

What do you guys think happened? The only conclusion I can come up with is 2 pounds is too low for this trigger, despite it stating on the website it should be able to go to 1.5 pounds.... I usually post in this forum but if I need to move this post, please advise.
Thank you

I bet your trigger is an 'enclosed' model... IF the receiver's not been modified to accept that unit, remove it and re-install the original trigger and parts.. The NH trigger on the M70 is without question one of the best trigger designs ever.. (and yeah, I know the anti-M70 dudes will be along shortly to inform me of the error of my ways)..

The beauty of it is in its simplicity.. An owner can take it apart, easily fix/clean whatever's needed and be back in the shooting business within a few short minutes.. Not so with the others, period..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
I had a factory trigger on a model 70 go haywire where it would go off when you closed the bolt

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I had the very same thing happen with a brand new Jewell trigger. It was defective from the factory. It was replaced with a new Jewell trigger and never have had a problem since. It happens.

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Listen to GD. You have to understand how all the components of the trigger work together.
Easy button is to reset it and test. Otherwise you may need to increase the sear engagement slightly.

Bottom line is what you experienced isn’t limited to the M70.....It can happen on any rifle (any common rifle anyway..)

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by Win70brett

Thank you

I bet your trigger is an 'enclosed' model... IF the receiver's not been modified to accept that unit, remove it and re-install the original trigger and parts.. The NH trigger on the M70 is without question one of the best trigger designs ever.. (and yeah, I know the anti-M70 dudes will be along shortly to inform me of the error of my ways)..

The beauty of it is in its simplicity.. An owner can take it apart, easily fix/clean whatever's needed and be back in the shooting business within a few short minutes.. Not so with the others, period..

He said its an Extreme weather. Meaning its not a "Newhaven" gun. The EW is a BACO with the MOA trigger. Im also assuming hes talking about a Timney trigger in said EW rifle. The problem surfaced after he tried adjusting it. First off, he made a total lateral move by removing the MOA and replacing it with the Timney. Total waste of money. Traded 1 box trigger for another, with no gain. Secondly, if he didnt know how to properly adjust a trigger, maybe he should have left it alone. You are correct about a NH rifle having a great trigger, but I believe its a newer rifle made by Browning arms company.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Ahhh, yes I missed that... IMHO Browning totally screwed the pooch when they changed that NH style trigger to that pos MOA version... Thanks for the note BSA...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by stuvwxyz
Years ago I put a custom trigger in a pre 64 model 70 and it went off when I took the safety off. On close examination I found that the new trigger was larger than the original and had minimum clearance to fit inside the factory trigger guard. With just enough resistance to retard the movement of the trigger when closing the bolt. I threw that trigger into the Roaring Fork river and went back to the stock, military style trigger and never looked back.

Had this issue with a Remington 700 varmint and a Timney. Instead of throwing it in a river I relieved the factory trigger guard with a file until the slightly wider Timney trigger fit the trigger guard. It took maybe 5 or 10 minutes. That gun had the Walker trigger and would fire when the safety was removed if the gun was jarred.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Redneck
IMHO Browning totally screwed the pooch when they changed that NH style trigger to that pos MOA version...

That's a Biiiiiiiiiiiig 10-4 Good Buddy..............................

Can U say Law-yours?

MM

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
The reason why I changed triggers is the factory trigger could not go down to 2.5 pounds (per the manual, 3 pounds is the minimum), the aftermarket does go lower. That is not a "lateral move." Thanks for the advice gentlemen, much appreciated.

Last edited by Win70brett; 10/29/20.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

103 members (badwolf, 257 mag, 35, BABore, 12 invisible), 1,475 guests, and 936 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,066
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.