Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ryoushi

And those were hits at 400 yards plus with a 180 VLD at 2880. Huh!

Mine dropped at the shot. 338-378 225 TTSX at 3150. 150 yard shot.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pete53

i read the once in a life time bull moose,i was not impressed with his wounding of a big bull moose at 400 yards = it was not the Berger bullet it was the shooter who shot at the bull .

and the 2nd moose? He missed the vitals with all 7 shots?

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I believe what was implied, that an arrow , bullet, placed in the right spot, will work. That`s the Indians job.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Just back from Mont. where I killed a Mule deer buck at 230yrds, using my 7x57 and 140 grn Bergers, MV 2850fps. Deer quartering away, hit to place to bullet in opposite shoulder. Did just that, mushing up lungs and heart, coming to rest in hide. Perfect mushroom, weighed 63.1 grns. Also killed a coyote at 360yrds, slight quarter to me, bullet hit just behind on shoulder, through rear chest cavity, blowing out insides and exiting right rear taking right hind leg with it. I say they work.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by WAM
Not the arrow, but the indian? What numbskull uses frangible bullets on large animals?

Thousands of "numbskulls" a year. Successfully.

If everybody did what you do, there'd be a lot of guys dicking your wife. Remember that.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Guess you can`t place your 'Arrow" where it needs to go either...thousands of folks like that too....musta hit a nerve, Eh.

BTB....you may want to read about the TSX "failure" numbskull.

Last edited by CGPAUL; 11/06/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've used Berger vlds for the last several years. 4 elk, 7 antelope and countless deer can attest that they are very lethal. They fly super accurately and bang flop almost every time.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I bought a box of .308 Berger VLD’s about 10 years ago, and loaded them up to hunt deer in Alabama. Shot a nice buck at 260 yards and it was DRT. Same with a mature doe at 200 yards. Unfortunately, third time was not a charm. I shot the biggest buck I’ve ever seen standing broadside at 30 yards off a rest. I aimed for a high shoulder hit, and the bullet impacted exactly where I aimed. He ran about 100 yards and fell down. As darkness was approaching, I waited about 15 minutes and walked toward his downed carcass. When I got within 25 yards he jumped up and ran off. There was a pool of blood the size of a pie plate where he had lain. I decided to back out and returned The next morning at first light with 2 buddies to retrieve him. We tracked him for over a mile, and found a second pool of blood the size of a pie plate that also contained some bone fragments. We finally lost his track when he entered a swamp with water in excess of knee high. I theorize that the bullet exploded on the shoulder joint and did not penetrate into the vitals. I told the landowner the gory details and we went back a couple of times looking for the skeleton- NADA.

The Berger VLD’s were super accurate, but they cost double what Sierra GameKings run, and the bullet failure I experienced meant I still have 75+ VLD’s unforced.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Berger’s are about all they have in my reloading shop. Sierra, Nosler, Barnes are sold out.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
BulletBud,

What bullet weight, cartridge and velocity?

During a cull hunt I tried to get a 168-grain Hunting VLD to "blow up." The cartridge was the .30-06, muzzle velocity 2800+ fps. Had just killed a feral billy goat weighing around 180-200 pounds, and shot one of the bullets into the big shoulder joint from maybe 10 feet away. The bullet broke the joint and penetrated well into the chest cavity.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by BulletBud
I theorize that the bullet exploded on the shoulder joint and did not penetrate into the vitals. I told the landowner the gory details and we went back a couple of times looking for the skeleton- NADA..

Not even close. You shot high and hit the spinous process. Extremely common and causes exactly what you describe. You didn’t have a bullet failure, you had a placement one.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I bought a box of .308 Berger VLD’s about 10 years ago, and loaded them up to hunt deer in Alabama. Shot a nice buck at 260 yards and it was DRT. Same with a mature doe at 200 yards. Unfortunately, third time was not a charm. I shot the biggest buck I’ve ever seen standing broadside at 30 yards off a rest. I aimed for a high shoulder hit, and the bullet impacted exactly where I aimed. He ran about 100 yards and fell down. As darkness was approaching, I waited about 15 minutes and walked toward his downed carcass. When I got within 25 yards he jumped up and ran off. There was a pool of blood the size of a pie plate where he had lain. I decided to back out and returned The next morning at first light with 2 buddies to retrieve him. We tracked him for over a mile, and found a second pool of blood the size of a pie plate that also contained some bone fragments. We finally lost his track when he entered a swamp with water in excess of knee high. I theorize that the bullet exploded on the shoulder joint and did not penetrate into the vitals. I told the landowner the gory details and we went back a couple of times looking for the skeleton- NADA.

The Berger VLD’s were super accurate, but they cost double what Sierra GameKings run, and the bullet failure I experienced meant I still have 75+ VLD’s unforced.

Ummm, no.....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pete53

i read the once in a life time bull moose,i was not impressed with his wounding of a big bull moose at 400 yards = it was not the Berger bullet it was the shooter who shot at the bull .

That post is no longer there on rok slide..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by hanco
Berger’s are about all they have in my reloading shop. Sierra, Nosler, Barnes are sold out.

You should try some and broaden your horizons...

You'd be "shocked" but I wouldn't be....

- Greg

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
I theorize that the bullet exploded on the shoulder joint and did not penetrate into the vitals. I told the landowner the gory details and we went back a couple of times looking for the skeleton- NADA..

Not even close. You shot high and hit the spinous process. Extremely common and causes exactly what you describe. You didn’t have a bullet failure, you had a placement one.

Yes....

- Greg

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
BulletBud,

What bullet weight, cartridge and velocity?

During a cull hunt I tried to get a 168-grain Hunting VLD to "blow up." The cartridge was the .30-06, muzzle velocity 2800+ fps. Had just killed a feral billy goat weighing around 180-200 pounds, and shot one of the bullets into the big shoulder joint from maybe 10 feet away. The bullet broke the joint and penetrated well into the chest cavity.

Things are funny, ehh John?

- Greg

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
this was the 1st year i have ever used Berger bullets for hunting, shot 2 bucks with 257 Weatherby mag. 115 gr.VLD bullets the 1st , shot at 150 yards buck dressed 165 lbs went in the lungs and right on thru both sides the buck went 12 feet and was stone dead , 2nd buck shot at 100 yards still dressed 205 lbs on nov.21st, blew this buck`s heart in pieces bullet went thru both sides buck went almost 50 yards and tipped over. i also shot a doe at 75 yards with a 256 Newton rifle which uses a 6.5 bullet , i used a 6.5 140gr Berger VLD target bullet,went thru center of lungs,bullet also went thru both sides this deer was shot at 75 yards, doe went 60 feet laid down and died.
>i like the accuracy of Berger bullets ,as far as i can tell these Berger bullets work just fine for me , i will use these Berger bullets next year for deer again too.

Last edited by pete53; 11/27/20.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 204guy, 12344mag, 219DW, 1Longbow, 69 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,301
Posts18,487,087
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.