Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
2. Once IN THE WOODS you are hunting.

I realize you've said you don't want to discuss this further, but just to clarify: At least the states I hunt in, you are allowed to be in the woods before and after legal hunting hours. However, you cannot be pursuing game. It's okay to walk to and from your stand after hours. It is okay to pursue wounded game in the dark. However, having a loaded weapon on your way to the stand is not kosher.

If you're hunting from the moment you leave the car, then you're only allowed to do that during legal hunting hours. I've been known to set out an hour or more before first light to be in my stand. It's legal. I just can't be loaded up.

1. W/O a round in the CHAMBER.... there is NO danger of Accidental Discharge OR Shooting 'something', climbing up/down or into a stand. D Ms can be loaded IN the rifle -- IN the woods -- OFF right of ways.

Yes. I agree. However, I'm usually traveling in the dark. There is very little reason for me to remain loaded going in and out of the stand.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Not a gunwriter, but I like detachable mags. Far easier to load and unload the rifle which is important here as we are not supposed to carry a loaded rifle in the vehicle.

I never have a round chambered when getting into the stand anyway.

YMMV

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by shaman

I realize you've said you don't want to discuss this further, but just to clarify: At least the states I hunt in, you are allowed to be in the woods before and after legal hunting hours...

Jerry is off whatever medication he takes for his ill humours. Try not to upset him.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Okay Guys.

I don't bother Mr. S R yet he's like a

LOST PUPPY following me around chewing on my britches legs. I've tried being nice and leaving him alone.
That 'obviously' isn't working.

So MUTT run along and tug on someone else's britches legs.... "FIDO"

I'll be forced to call Animal Control, aka the Dog Catcher and let him decide what to do.

So long Fido.

jwall AND I said THAT !

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Shhh. Stop embarrassing yourself. laugh

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Anyone have any Kleinguenther K-15 magazines??

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If I had my druthers all my bg bolt rifles would be blind box mags. But I have some hinged floor plates and some dms. Anymore the cheap rifles all have dms.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Shhh. Stop embarrassing yourself. laugh

Guys -- I'm not a LOST PUPPY troll. I don't follow any of you around criticizing you.

S R, ever read this ?
"Stay away from negative people. They have a problem for every solution." - anon
Proverbs 22:10: Cast out the scorner, and contention shall go out; yea, strife and reproach shall cease.

Fido... you are a typical Church Member, not practicing what you preach !
Fido... I don't bother you... I don't feed trolls.

Next time (if there is) I won't be so kind.

jwall, I said that.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Ha ha. Shhhh. laugh

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use DBM systems on all of my hunting rifles....

Never had one fall out, never had a miss feed.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
imagine that.......grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Always interesting to me how people slam on things they've never tried.......amazing actually.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bucktail
If I had my druthers all my bg bolt rifles would be blind box mags. But I have some hinged floor plates and some dms. Anymore the cheap rifles all have dms.

bucktail -

I understand that WE ALL don't like the same thing...we all don't have to like the same things.

I'm NOT slamming you or criticizing you.
It's "funny", 'interesting' how things change.

I'm old enuff to remember
Rem ADL wood stocks -- now ADL are composite < and Blind Mag.

Win 670 wood stocks -- Blind Mag, et.al. brand/models

You said, " Anymore the cheap rifles all have dms".

It USED to be that 'Cheap Rifles' or cheaper, had Blind Mags and more expensive rifles had hinged floorplates.

I have divested myself of all my Blind Mag rifles, except ONE. My 70 Black Shadow 300 WM.

Why?
Blind Mags don't allow you access to the Mag well without removing the STOCK.
Sometimes we need to clean the mag well. Sometimes we need to change the mag spring or change/modify the
follower. et.al.

I personally DON'T trust the rifle to maintain ZERO after removing and replacing the stock. I personally RE check zero
everytime after removing the stock.

With D M you don't have those problems.

These are MY reasons.... NO ONE else has to agree with me.
We all have our preferences.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
I use DBM systems on all of my hunting rifles....

Never had one fall out, never had a miss feed.

I've only switched 3 rifles over to DBM, all AICS. The thing I like most is the straight, smooth feed.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
First off, I'd like to hear about your thoughts on having a second mag at the ready. Second, how do you carry the second mag?

I never have more than two rounds total in my bolt gun while hunting. If I am hunting with my single shots I have an elastic keeper on the gun for the one extra round.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
2. Once IN THE WOODS [loaded] you are hunting.

This is true in Texas as well as requiring a minimum distance from roads, perimeters, and homes when hunting on public land.

Most of those types of rules (gun being loaded = hunting) are meant to eliminate legal ambiguity or burden of proof for the warden. It makes it easier for them to cite. One would like to think they exercise some common sense discretion in a case like you mentioned with the road on private land, but I get the sense there isn't much of that with wardens.

I haven't had any issues with the detachable mags in my Win M88 and BLR.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
First off, I'd like to hear about your thoughts on having a second mag at the ready. Second, how do you carry the second mag?

Shaman... I don't know HOW I missed this in your OP ? ?

I have xtra mags for my Model Sixes, and 1 for my T3 Lite 270. Don't have 1 for the T3X 7 Mag.

I 'never' carry an xtra mag, ever.

I bought them to HAVE in case of some (?) problem ? whatever it might be, I'd have one and not have to FIND one.

I did not and am not getting one for the 7 Mag.

In all my years of shooting and hunting 760s etc. 1960 something ? --> now and T3 s since 2003, I have had NO need to carry them or
EVEN have them. It's comforting to know that I HAVE them.

However as someone else said, I use the elastic butt sleeve ammo holders for xtra ammo.
I have ONLY shot 3 Xs at 1 deer. NOW I have missed of course but never shot 3 Xs but once.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Have both don't need anyone to tell about either. 788 remington had a simple one right down to where it was misplaced or plain lost. Best one I ever saw belonged to some old cowboy ,it had seen many miles and rds of use. He had pop riveted to the bottom of the mag a piece of brass toilet tank chain and used a wood screw to attach the other end to the stock. Made me laugh, still makes me laugh everytime I see one. Don't know what other kind of mag you could design or fit to an AR but the ones in use now are fine. Scenarshooter thinks they are fine on a sporting rifle and I don't know a more discerning rifleman than Pat. If a guy don't want one well don't buy one. Magnum_ Bob

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by jwall

I have xtra mags for my Model Sixes, and 1 for my T3 Lite 270. Don't have 1 for the T3X 7 Mag.

I bought them to HAVE in case of some (?) problem ? whatever it might be, I'd have one and not have to FIND one.

In all my years of shooting and hunting 760s etc. 1960 something ? --> now and T3 s since 2003, I have had NO need to carry them or

However as someone else said, I use the elastic butt sleeve ammo holders for xtra ammo.
I have ONLY shot 3 Xs at 1 deer. NOW I have missed of course but never shot 3 Xs but once.

Jerry

That's better.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwall

Jerry

I think my jitters regarding DM's comes from 40 years of dealing with a Rem 742 and a Rem 7600. I don't think I'm hard on mags, but one year I started out with 5 working mags and ended up with one functional at season's end and it was acting wonky. That winter, I studied up on how to tweak them, did some adjustments and got 4 working again. Shortly after that, I started seriously thinking about retiring the 7600.

Since then I've shied away from DM's for deer hunting until now. I'm sure this is a matter of YMMV.

At one point, I experimented with elastic butt sleeves. Twice I came back with fewer rounds in the sleeve than when I left. One of the guys in our camp has a sleeve and he has lost a couple rounds over the years. He sees no reason to change. Me? It made me rethink things. What I've been doing since 2002 or so is buying MTM ammo wallets and carrying them in my right bottom jacket or vest pocket. They carry 9 rounds-- more than enough for a whole season. I bought them for my sons as well. Whatever they were up to prior was almost guaranteeing the loss of a couple of rounds a year. Teenagers can see this as no big deal, but they're not the ones doing the reloading. I even used colored electrical tape and color-coded all the wallets, so nobody would walk off with the other guy's wallet.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (219 Wasp, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,476 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,936
Posts18,518,996
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.