Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Depending on, a Ford NAA with a hydraulic loader can do some work.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by McInnis
I retired and moved to the country last year. I have a long gravel driveway and I fought the snow best I could with a snowblower last winter but I’m ready to say hell with that and get a compact tractor with a blade. I would use it for spreading gravel as well. Probably something in the 25-30 hp range.

I don’t live in a very populated area and there’s only two tractor dealerships close by - one’s a Kubota, the other’s John Deere. Any advice on these two?
Yes. Buy a used one at an auction or estate sale.

[Linked Image]

Get a diesel and get double the horse power you are looking at now. Get a wide front end, not the tricycle type front. I'm not pitching any particular brand here but just showing you what you can get if you don't worry over those "colors" and sales pitches. That tractor I use has a Hesston sticker on it and made by Fiat probably 50 years ago. They haven't even made those in at least 20 years and I can still go to the Ford tractor dealer or the internet and get about any part on that tractor. I just a month ago bought a BRAND NEW power steering reservoir screw on plastic cap to replace the one that has been cracked since I bought the tractor.

See what it would cost to get just the lid for a Fujiyamahawker power steering cap from Tokyo. Mine cost $15.

I pull that 6 foot back blade uphill on my gravel driveway and pull those two, 2 yard concrete rollers behind to smash down and flatten in the same trip, in second gear of the mid range selector, 2/2. And that is just so my slow old man reaction time can keep an eye on it and drive at the same time.

Easily pulls a 6 foot snow blade through snow as deep as the blade in one trip at 10-15 mile an hours. If the snow is wet or sticky just kick it in high gear and run it half as deep and it throws snow like the highway truck. You have to come back any way so plowing out AND back is no big deal.

I made up a REESE hitch attachment point for the front bumper so I can use anything on the front that fits in my truck hitch and I all my shop vises will fit that plus any of those "carry platforms" for trucks. I use one on the front to carry all my chain saw equipment and I mean ALL and that way the bucket is empty to use for managing logs. Plus you can use it to add weight to the front. I use the same iron weights I use with my weight lifting gym equipment. They are cheap in the classifieds and you can always get your money right back or even more. I never pay more for them than the going price for scrap iron.

Last edited by JackRyan; 10/28/20.

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ejp1234
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
You go, Girl! laugh

Says the pussy asking for neighbor advice on a forum about some ghetto trash...

Go kick his ass you silly fug...

Funny how your all billy badass now lol, but your methhead neighbor has you by the britches ha?

Who’s the chick on the mans thread?.... lmao...

Hey... Liar... Why don't you run back and quote where I asked anyone for any advice.

Dumbass.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Daedong? Lol. No thanks.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ejp sucks a daedong.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Buy your equipment today from my friend in Devils Lake.

Some sort of bobcat dealer.

Ironhide?

Ours came from ironhide. My closest dealer is Bemidji mn. But I sent my boys out to Williston to get ours. They would have delivered for free but I needed it faster than they could get it here.

How long a trip Dave?

I drove to WA to get mine.

409 miles each way.

Something clever here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by worriedman
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by worriedman
Amazing how much work I can do with this little machine, 10 years old, never a hitch in its getalong.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I like that grabber bucket ! 'Bota too..........

Handy as a pocket on a shirt...

I'd give my brother in laws left nut for that set up.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
i went through this recently, i was upgrading from a 30 hp, wanting to get into a 45/50 hp.

I loooked at new holland, kubota, deere, bobcat, case ih.

I settled on a bobcat 45 hp 4 wheel drive, hydrostatic, with loader, pallet forks, bush hig mower, bix blade.

That was in June. I'm over 130 hours on the bobcat now, I like it, a lot.

Huge amount of leg room, suspension seat, the hydro trans and controls are excellent, loader is very strong. I did a lot of excavating with it in June, July, August.

The bobcat was by far, the best value.

I am pretty sure they are rebadged Kioti tractors.

Designed by bobcat, built by daedong who also builds kioti. I think new holland is more of a rebrand than bobcat these days. LS tractors.

Bobcat sold compact tractors until somewhere around 2011-2014 then got out of tractors. They just re entered the market with seemingly agressive pricing breaks and incentives.

I wish my front axle has more articulation than it does, other than that I have no gripes. As others have said, the tier 4 is a regen, like an exhaust filter cleaning cycle without def.

Thats 100% false, it’s a rebadged Kioti just like last time... bobcat does not manufacture tractors at this time.

I'm sure bobcat and kioti share some components. But they are 2 different tractors, although likely similar. There is more than paint color that's different. Much like LS is similar to new holland boomer series. But you don't get a "cheap boomer" by purchasing an LS. They are different.

Something clever here.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
You’ve gotten good advice that I’ll echo: Dealer support probably matters more than color, get a size or two bigger than you think you you will need, and get a cab. One other point, that you should consider if you’re in an area with sane used tractor prices is pre-emissions larger displacement motors have power at lower rpms and frequently have more useful power. In addition, they are notably heavier, which for many things matters more than HP. In my area, used tractors are insanely priced and the lure of 0% financing is very real. I’ve got a 900’ driveway and have used both a 7’ bucket and a 7’ front mounted snow blower. As much as I appreciate the snowblower, I’d never trade it for a FEL.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by elkaddict
You’ve gotten good advice that I’ll echo: Dealer support probably matters more than color, get a size or two bigger than you think you you will need, and get a cab. One other point, that you should consider if you’re in an area with sane used tractor prices is pre-emissions larger displacement motors have power at lower rpms and frequently have more useful power. In addition, they are notably heavier, which for many things matters more than HP. In my area, used tractors are insanely priced and the lure of 0% financing is very real. I’ve got a 900’ driveway and have used both a 7’ bucket and a 7’ front mounted snow blower. As much as I appreciate the snowblower, I’d never trade it for a FEL.

Mid pto and a front mount blower, that would be awesome.

Something clever here.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Kubota

Whatever size you’re thinking of get a bigger one

Best advice right there.

I got a JD 4044M because of this exact issue. Probably 90% of people either want a bigger tractor or buy a bigger tractor. The salesman tried to talk me into a 3 series, and when I was in last for service he confessed to buying a 4. I chose the JD for it's controls and the dealership. Kubotas are good equipment though if the dealer is decent.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Oh, no. Not trade. Both like you did!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by ironbender

Oh, no. Not trade. Both like you did!

I’m an equipment junky with limited time. I maintain 200 acres 3 hours from home including 16 acres of food plots. I “needed” a backup equipment. Truth is, I can’t get my biggest tractor in some small plots on the mountain, and moving snow in windy well below zero temps “requires” a cab, as does bushhogging an area with hornets nests.... For what it’s worth, if I’d have listened to sage advice, I’d have started with a bigger cabbed model, saved money and wouldn’t have the additional equipment. We’d just bought the property and I couldn’t bring myself to buying more than the minimum tractor I perceived I needed. I was mistaken.... I’ve also found that older tractors are easier to maintain and can be equally reliable. They are also surprisingly efficient fuel consumption wise given the rpm range they operate in.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve always had good luck with Deere and have a great dealer. I was looking at moving up from a 3 series to a 4. Got in a cabbed Deere 4066r and then looked for a comparable Kubota. There isn’t a comparable Kubota to a 4066r.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
tag

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
i went through this recently, i was upgrading from a 30 hp, wanting to get into a 45/50 hp.

I loooked at new holland, kubota, deere, bobcat, case ih.

I settled on a bobcat 45 hp 4 wheel drive, hydrostatic, with loader, pallet forks, bush hig mower, bix blade.

That was in June. I'm over 130 hours on the bobcat now, I like it, a lot.

Huge amount of leg room, suspension seat, the hydro trans and controls are excellent, loader is very strong. I did a lot of excavating with it in June, July, August.

The bobcat was by far, the best value.

I am pretty sure they are rebadged Kioti tractors.

Designed by bobcat, built by daedong who also builds kioti. I think new holland is more of a rebrand than bobcat these days. LS tractors.

Bobcat sold compact tractors until somewhere around 2011-2014 then got out of tractors. They just re entered the market with seemingly agressive pricing breaks and incentives.

I wish my front axle has more articulation than it does, other than that I have no gripes. As others have said, the tier 4 is a regen, like an exhaust filter cleaning cycle without def.

Thats 100% false, it’s a rebadged Kioti just like last time... bobcat does not manufacture tractors at this time.

I'm sure bobcat and kioti share some components. But they are 2 different tractors, although likely similar. There is more than paint color that's different. Much like LS is similar to new holland boomer series. But you don't get a "cheap boomer" by purchasing an LS. They are different.

Ok...

But your wrong.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
All I know is that Daves bobcat looks awesome. Love the white and trim.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
If you plow snow, a block heater, and a Heathouser.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Ok...

But your wrong.

Dumbass.

Here. Don't say I didn't try to help...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
When I get a new tractor, I'm going to store it at Rockinbbar's house. If it even gets one speck of sparrow chidt on it, he'll be out there with the windex! lol

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 219DW, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,522 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,201
Posts18,485,216
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.