Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

That's better.

Do you think I give a Rat's BUTT ? Well I don't FIDO.

Go tell your mama she misses you.

jwall

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My first deer rifle as a Winchester M/88, its magazine was well designed, easy to use I liked it. Worked on Browning BLR's and have always thought their detachable magazine to be a poorly designed POS.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I don't know but

I've been using the elastic ammo holders since 2016 err 2013, and so far I haven't lost 1 round.
I have them on M70, 6.5X55

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

and T3 270

and T3X 7 RM

3rd Deer < 2 empties in slots = 2 deer before.

I plan IF I can remember to get 2 more. I have FMD (fading memory disorder)

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 10/28/20.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Pat,

As I recall you killed that bear with a cartridge most Campfire experts (especially those who've never seen a grizzly) would consider totally inadequate for such a task!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[quote=hanco]Anyone have any Kleinguenther K-15 magazines??

I do - but I use them in my Kleinguenther....... smirk grin

IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Pat,

As I recall you killed that bear with a cartridge most Campfire experts (especially those who've never seen a grizzly) would consider totally inadequate for such as task!

What's the build sheet on that rifle?

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That bear must have been attracted to the blue tape.

See? I learn these things from reading 24hourcampfire.com

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by shaman
The other reason is legality. Given most state hunting laws, it is prohibited to be loaded up outside of legal hunting hours.

Really? I am surprised. That is not true of my home state of Oregon .. which leans left most of the time. Our state F&G people tried to restrict what we could carry / not carry but State Legislature put them in their place: F&G have some say about what you can hunt with but not about what you can or can't carry. It had been forbidden for archery or muzzleloader hunters to carry a handgun but that was reversed in the 90s when we became a shall-issue state. I can legally carry any gun I own in the car, loaded. Chamber hot for that matter though I choose not to. I'm very surprised that more right-leaning states are so restrictive. frown frown

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
WTF do elastic ammo holders have to do with detachable magazines ?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by jwall

That's better.

jwall

laugh We can always tell when your meds are wearing off. Just try to remain focused on the thread. crazy

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
IC B3

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_O_M
The other reason is legality. Given most state hunting laws, it is prohibited to be loaded up outside of legal hunting hours.

Really? I am surprised. That is not true of my home state of Oregon .. which leans left most of the time. Our state F&G people tried to restrict what we could carry / not carry but State Legislature put them in their place: F&G have some say about what you can hunt with but not about what you can or can't carry. It had been forbidden for archery or muzzleloader hunters to carry a handgun but that was reversed in the 90s when we became a shall-issue state. I can legally carry any gun I own in the car, loaded. Chamber hot for that matter though I choose not to. I'm very surprised that more right-leaning states are so restrictive. frown frown

Tom

Conceivably, if a C/0 or warden or F&G guy were to drop by your blind and find you loaded up a half hour before legal hunting time, he could possibly cite you. Now, this is mostly theoretical. As I said, I haven't seen anyone cited for this alone. However, if the CO hears shots going off before legal hunting coming from your place on a regular basis, and he decides to slip in for a check. . . that could be how you end up getting nailed. It used to be the woods were ablaze 15-30 minutes before legal hunting around our place when we first moved in. Now? I may hear one or two early shots. My guess there were a few visits when the new CO took over about 15 years ago. This was also about the time the semi-auto muzzleloaders stopped being heard. The other thing that will get you nailed for sure is if he finds you jacklighting. You can say the gazillion power spotlight was just so you can light your way to your blind, but if you've got a loaded rifle . . . that's going to be a citation.

Also, I'll tell you that the Hunter Ed that I went through twice with two sons discouraged walking around with a nocked arrow or a loaded gun. The old guy that used to teach it said in essence "You can stop thinking you're going to shoot a deer on the way to your blind. It ain't gonna happen. It's much safer to stay unloaded until you get where you're going." I was still bowhunting at the time, and it dawned on me that I had not seen a deer when I'd been skulking to my stand in 25 years and I stopped. I still walk in at midday with my rifle loaded, but again, I ain't seen anything on the way in years.

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunswizard

JWALL mentioned it. I just followed up on it-- as if these conversations don't drift.

However, in the general scheme of things, it's all about how we carry our ammo.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

jwall

laugh We can always tell when your meds are wearing off. Just try to remain focused on the thread. crazy

You are the DUMBEST mutt I've encountered here on the 'fire', FIDO.
As I said, I don't give a Rat's BUTT what you think....I always skip your yapping.

I'm not inclined to pay attention to Lost Puppies and you're SO FAR AWAY from home.
Did you not notice you crossed the National Line into the United States of America ?

Your owners surely don't know you've run away from 'mother' Canada!

As a Citizen of America.... I don't CARE what someone from the French Annex thinks or says.
Do you remember WHY the French have 2 reverses on their tanks?
So they can BACK UP no matter where the enemy approaches!!
Aren't you proud ?

I'll bet you lost your collar with Nameplate showing your owners address FIDO.
I'd be glad to notify them as to your whereabouts, so they can put you back in the pen.

Now FIDO run along and hopefully you'll find your way home. FIDO

I made a promise that I'd DO THIS and I kept my word!

jwall... I SAID THAT.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by gunswizard

JWALL mentioned it. I just followed up on it-- as if these conversations don't drift.

However, in the general scheme of things, it's all about how we carry our ammo.

Thanks shaman. Yes, gunwiz, we were discussing D Ms and I said I don't carry an Xtra DM but use the elastic ammo holders INSTEAD of a box (no matter what kind).

Yes it's a tangent but is related to using DMs and/or carrying an xtra one while hunting.

No offense intended.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
...jwall... I SAID THAT.

laugh We always know when your meds wear off. Nap time, Jerry.

I caught you peaking again. grin

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
why don't you a s s holes put it to rest?

Last edited by huntsman22; 10/28/20.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
shaman,

This statement of yours "The other reason is legality. Given most state hunting laws, it is prohibited to be loaded up outside of legal hunting hours" is not true. Apparently you haven't hunted many places (or researched various states' hunting regs). There are quite a few states where they don't care if you are "loaded up" during hunting hours. In my home state of Montana, for instance, it's legal to have a round in the chamber no matter the hour, or whether the rifle/shotgun is inside or outside a vehicle--and there are other states with FAR more flexible regs than in your limited knowledge.

I know this from hunting big game in over half the United States.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by huntsman22
why don't you a s s holes put it to rest?

Well sir, I would not blame you if
you had a troll !!

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
shaman,

This statement of yours "The other reason is legality. Given most state hunting laws, it is prohibited to be loaded up outside of legal hunting hours" is not true. Apparently you haven't hunted many places (or researched various states' hunting regs). There are quite a few states where they don't care if you are "loaded up" during hunting hours. In my home state of Montana, for instance, it's legal to have a round in the chamber no matter the hour, or whether the rifle/shotgun is inside or outside a vehicle--and there are other states with FAR more flexible regs than in your limited knowledge.

I know this from hunting big game in over half the United States.

Yes, I'm pretty much of a shut-in. Ohio, KY, PA, MI and IN mostly, and mostly deer and turkey. These are high-density states and the generally don't want hunters shooting each other in the dark.

I just checked Montana's regs:

Hunting Hours (CR)Authorized hunting hours for the taking of game animals begin one-half hour before sunrise and end one-half hour after sunset each day of the hunting season. See the official Sunrise-Sunset Tables listed on page 135.

That differs from some states . I suppose it also makes it handy when you have bears and such bumping about in the dark.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Ask the Gunwriters is a place on the Campfire where members get a chance to talk with gunwriters, get the benefit of their experience and exchange ideas and knowledge. It's right at the top of the 24 hr campfire forums I visit and value highly. 30 years ago no one had this access to these people except a select few of their immediate friends on a 2 way basis short of writing letters and hoping you would get a reply. I don't think I am alone in my value of what I can learn here. It's allright to have your own ideas but if you think they are the only good ones , be prepared to defend them with facts and valid experience for everyone has the right to their own opinion. I personally would hate to see this forum come to an end because people have alienated the gunwriters here with rude behavior even though they can do better.
J WALL your out of line ,way out. You would not tolerate anyone talking to you like you have talked to Steve R so think about it and try to treat people with the respect they deserve or take your crap over to the campfire where it probably don't belong either. Magnum_Bob

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 62 invisible), 2,559 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,454
Posts18,471,089
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.