Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It kind of surprised me as I have never had an issue with Barnes bullets. It was an 85gr TSX from a 243. It is stoked pretty fast at 3250fps or so. Me and my sons have killed a lot of GA and PA whitetails with this load. We always get an exit wound and the deer does not go very far.

This past Friday I am in my treestand and a young buck comes out with mangled horns so I decide to take him out of the gene pool. He was only 15 yards away. I made a nice shot behind the shoulder. He went down, then got up and ran off but heard him fall not too far in the thicket behind the stand. There was hair where he was standing, but no blood. I left him be for about 45 mins then went after him. I could not find any spots of blood or any signs of a hit. I KNEW I hit him though. I started doing a grid search and found him. When I looked where I hit him, there was only a 6mm hole going in and no exit wound. No blood on him anywhere. When I field dressed him, one lung was damaged and the heart had 5 holes in it. Definitely a good kill shot but I am not used to that performance from Barnes...more like Remington Corelokts I used to use. Later that night I was skinning him, I could see where the bullet hit a rib and came apart. The wound channel on the inside of the rib cage on the side where the bullet entered was about 1 inch in diameter.

I know some of you will say that it is not a failure since it killed the deer quickly and I found it. I agree to a point but I use Barnes Bullets because they penetrate so well. Where I hunt I need either a good blood trail or a DRT type of performance. If neither of these occur, recovery can be problematic. Am I expecting too much from the bullet? I guess next time, let him get out away from the stand a bit before pulling the trigger.

Last edited by himmelrr; 11/01/20.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I agree, bullets should exit virtually every time. I am big on Barnes and have personally never caught one. I see amazing stuff with 80gr TTSX in 25-06 in far bigger critters, but some stick around. There are at least two more contributing factors. Shot placement is very important. You took out the pump and put the only leak up high.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
According to the trends on the 'fire..the .243 is an elk round...you shot the wrong species.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Interesting. I hadn't heard of the TSX breaking up like that before.

Thanks for the info. Wonder if the bullet was brittle somehow?

Guy

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
TSXs in the smaller calibers do have a tendency to pencil through. The fix is to switch over to the TTSX. Frankly, save for the big bores I don't know why Barnes still makes the TSX and not the TTSX exclusively.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The lack of an exit is a surprise, as is the bullet fragmenting upon striking a rib. The bullet did its job (sort of), but I would call it a "failure to perform as expected."

Weird schit happens. Don't let one anomaly determine your viewpoint. THAT is the mistake people make too often, not "expecting too much of the bullet."

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only rifle shot deer that I've ever lost was with a 140 grain TSX from a 7mm-08. 5 drops of blood and two days of looking. The buck the year before had a quarter size hole through both lungs instead of lung mush and that should have told me something. I suspect that the TTSX is a much better bullet, but I'll never shoot another Barnes anything.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by jorgeI
TSXs in the smaller calibers do have a tendency to pencil through. The fix is to switch over to the TTSX. Frankly, save for the big bores I don't know why Barnes still makes the TSX and not the TTSX exclusively.

Or the LRX. Mistake #1 is using a .243 85 gr bullet on deer. I have seen these take out wild pigs in California, but I have also seen them hit a pig and end up with a 4 hour tracking job itno the night.

You need the right balance of diameter and weight, even with copper bullets. For medium-sized deer, My personal min. would be a .257 with a 100 gr. TTSX. This bullet would more reliably expand and have more momentum to push for an exit. I skip over this and shoot a .277 (270 Win.) with 130 gr bullets and it's almost too much which is exactly what you need on 125-175lbs deer. Even then, I find myself just using my 300 win mag with 190 gr. LRX bullets for pretty much everything.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by CanadianLefty

Mistake #1 is using a .243 85 gr bullet on deer.

Maybe you missed this part of the OP:

Originally Posted by himmelrr
Me and my sons have killed a lot of GA and PA whitetails with this load. We always get an exit wound and the deer does not go very far.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My two cents is go for a high shoulder shot with Barnes bullets. Break bone.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Or the LRX. Mistake #1 is using a .243 85 gr bullet on deer. I have seen these take out wild pigs in California, but I have also seen them hit a pig and end up with a 4 hour tracking job ino the night.

You need the right balance of diameter and weight, even with copper bullets. For medium-sized deer, My personal min. would be a .257 with a 100 gr. TTSX. This bullet would more reliably expand and have more momentum to push for an exit. I skip over this and shoot a .277 (270 Win.) with 130 gr bullets and it's almost too much which is exactly what you need on 125-175lbs deer. Even then, I find myself just using my 300 win mag with 190 gr. LRX bullets for pretty much everything.

No one asked your opinion on what caliber to use dumbass. My guess is, it was just a fluke.

Life is good live it while you can.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I read that part. In my experience, you increase risk and probability of failure the longer that you use light for caliber and smaller caliber bullets.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by TrueGrit

No one asked your opinion on what caliber to use dumbass. My guess is, it was just a fluke.

There is no need for any name calling, here or anywhere. That is not acceptable behavior.

I was trying to help and share my experience. You are welcome to do the same. If I offended the OP, no harm meant and they can take care of themselves and politely PM me or respond.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I was in the Navy for 21 years. I do not get offended! Offer any and all suggestions. I have thought about a 25-308 for quite some time. I may have to do that...

For the record, the bullet did not pencil through. It came apart!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is all I use in my 6mm rem. ( 85 grain Barnes reloader 19) Never had one do that. Always had a pass through.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Ignoring the odd off topic above,
I have never had a Barnes come apart, that does seem odd to me.
Were the holes in the heart- bone rather than copper?
I would expect 15 yards and 3250 might pass through but that said creating a bullet that will hold together at 15 yards but reliably open at 500 is an engineering challenge.

Last edited by KRAKMT; 11/01/20.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I read that part. In my experience, you increase risk and probability of failure the longer that you use light for caliber and smaller caliber bullets.

So you're claiming that an 85 grain all-copper bullet is now "light for caliber" in a 243 Winchester, and that .243" is "smaller caliber" for deer. Barnes must not know what they are doing, producing these bullets. I guess all the guys using the 22 caliber version to good effect countless times must also be ignorant, and experiencing flukes.

I don't even know what else to say to drivel like that. I guess the 180 TSX in some 30 cal is the next logical step?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KRAKMT

Were the holes in the heart- bone rather than copper?
I would expect 15 yards and 3250 might pass through but that said creating a bullet that will hold together at 15 yards but reliably open at 500 is an engineering challenge.

There were a couple of pieces of bone in the heart but the holes I assumed were copper but may have been bone. Engineering "challenge" is an understatement. I have been amazed at Barnes ability to penetrate over the years. I remember one where I shot a deer as it was wheeling around to run away. I jumped him from his bed on a steep hill above me and got off a quick snap shot. The 85gr TSX went in behind the shoulder out through the off side shoulder, into its neck, through the spine and still exited!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by himmelrr
I was in the Navy for 21 years. I do not get offended! Offer any and all suggestions. I have thought about a 25-308 for quite some time. I may have to do that...

For the record, the bullet did not pencil through. It came apart!

Understand. Some are more easily offended. No harm meant, just my experience shared. I think that the 25-308 would make for a cool combo! Here's a good source of info on it:
The .25-08 produces similar velocities to the .257 Roberts but has a much more efficient case design and is superior to the Roberts when used in short actions.

Source/attribution: https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/.25-08+.25+Souper.html

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

The deer was shot at close rangevwith very high velocity impact. I'd wager the 5 holes in the heart are from the 4 petals and the bullet shank.
A spine hit would have dropped him in his tracts

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (2500HD, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 270wsmnutt, 264mag, 10gaugeman, 56 invisible), 2,537 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,921
Posts18,498,465
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.