Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

I’m not sure if this is a fix, but factory barrels often like only one bullet weight best, however lapped custom barrels tend to shoot all weights well.

Maybe have the barrel checked by a smith that knows how to lap a barrel, and have them lap it if it’s got any tight spots, or is rough and it may make it shoot more like a custom lapped barrel.

GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
You didn't say Rev, but if you are talking about the 154 gr Hornady in the 7x57...welcome to the club. I tried and tried, would become discouraged, doubting my rifle and my ability, I would go back to a 160 gr by any other maker, and shoot a 5 shot near moa group. I just gave up.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Rev, what does it shoot well?

DF

160-grain Partitions.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by CRS
After finding a primer/powder combination that gives desired velocities and consistent single digit SD's. The only thing you have left is seating depth.

I think you just answered the question I was going to ask about powder charges. Find the velocity node first, then start adjusting the seating depth, correct?

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by flintlocke
You didn't say Rev, but if you are talking about the 154 gr Hornady in the 7x57...welcome to the club. I tried and tried, would become discouraged, doubting my rifle and my ability, I would go back to a 160 gr by any other maker, and shoot a 5 shot near moa group. I just gave up.

Yep, that's the cartridge.

IC B2

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by RevMike

DF

160-grain Partitions.

I should add: and 175-grain Hornady RN IL.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by mathman
Sinclair has theirs in stock.

Sinclair is my choice and I use a TruAngle tool to correct runout.

http://www.trutool-equipment.com/

I set mine up on a board, easier to store and handy to use.

DF

Edited to add, I got a Tee Nut at ACE Hdw. to attach TruAngle tool to a board. Works great, drill a hole, easy to do.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 11/05/20.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

DF

160-grain Partitions.

I should add: and 175-grain Hornady RN IL.

What powder(s) and have you tried a slightly faster one for the 154?

DF

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Hunter and Big Game. I haven't tried 4350 yet, but plan to.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Dang right, I have, and it/they will, have a pre-64 FWT 243 that WAS a cantankerous little b-tch, it did NOT want to shoot the 100gr Partition, after three powders and a couple different col settings, it's happily living in my gun safe firing those partitions at 2952 fps over a charge of imr-4350 powder. smile

Trump Won!
IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
RevMike,

I've had luck with this exact delima in the past, especially with cup and core bullets.

For me, the trick is to load a wide variety of powders, with a good range of burn rates.

Also very your powder types, stick vs. spherical, and primer choices, something hot, something cold, as well.

Don't do a full workup with anything. Start with about 5 powders at minimum loads and max usable OAL, and if something shows promise, go from there.

Of course, Mono's are a totally different process.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
RevMike,

I've had luck with this exact delima in the past, especially with cup and core bullets.

For me, the trick is to load a wide variety of powders, with a good range of burn rates.

Also very your powder types, stick vs. spherical, and primer choices, something hot, something cold, as well.

Don't do a full workup with anything. Start with about 5 powders at minimum loads and max usable OAL, and if something shows promise, go from there.

Monos different? you can say that again, have seated those deep and drove em hard enough to loosen primer pockets, only to find that's where they shot the best! crazy grin

Trump Won!
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I’ve written about this episode before here but I’ll repeat myself in this case. I love anything Nosler...it’s my preferred choice. I found a beautiful Pre 64 70 in 270 a few years back and couldn’t wait to see what she would do, as every Pre 64 has shot lights out for me. Flawless bore, glass beaded well, a good, proven, Leupold scope on it.

She shot like crap with all he usual & customary 270 loads appropriate for their 140 grain bullet. She “two grouped” or shot improved cylinder with every load combination, seating depth, etc. Runout was fine. Rebedded it three times, tried three good scopes.

I was about to trade her off, but on a whim tried H-4831 with a 140 grain VLD and a 140 grain Sierra Game Changer. H-4831 was one of the powders tried earlier to no avail. With no attention to seating depth, I just seated em a smidge longer than factory. Bam! Both loads shot right at two tenths of an inch at 100! I repeated the loads and they shot itty bitty tight clusters once again. I snuck in some 140 grain BT’s into the mix to see what would happen and she snarled back at me again, two grouping @ about 2 1/2”.

I talked with my favorite accuracy gunsmith and he said they run into that occasionally....it’s not uncommon. He thinks a contributing factor could be the leade angle in the individual rifle’s chamber, but added that wouldn’t be the reason every time. Some rifles just don’t like some bullets I suppose. I just use the FIDO principle...forget it and drive on.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by gunner500
RevMike,

Monos different? you can say that again, have seated those deep and drove em hard enough to loosen primer pockets, only to find that's where they shot the best! crazy grin

Yep, jump'em and crank'em....

They tend to work well pushed pretty hard...

And if you think you're jumping them enough, increase the jump...

Let the target do the talking...

DF

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have had pretty good luck with 154 gr RN Hornady with 4320 in my 93 mauser. The old mausers were long throated for the 175 gr rn bullets. Your gun has been telling you that with the 160 npt's and 175 gr hornady take the hint. Play with your seating depth till you get what you want. Check your run out. God will forgive your errors. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
RevMike,

DF

LOL, damn right DF! cool

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
I have had pretty good luck with 154 gr RN Hornady with 4320 in my 93 mauser. The old mausers were long throated for the 175 gr rn bullets. Your gun has been telling you that with the 160 npt's and 175 gr hornady take the hint. Play with your seating depth till you get what you want. Check your run out. God will forgive your errors. MB

I've read they've discontinued 4320. That's too bad, as it's a good powder.

I'd check the burn rate charts for those pretty close to 4320.

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
RevMike,

DF

This chidt isnt hard or complicated. If I "let the target do the talking", which I do, it would say, you arent using a whole bunch of me, but you sure are tearing the fu ck out of my orange dot!!!!! To answer the op, hornady bullets are and have always been easy to get to shoot well. Keep trying

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Mart, Great response. You are a seasoned Alaskan hunter who understands practical accuracy. The bat sht-crazy obsession for accuracy gets old.

Point at a jug of powder, a certain weight bullet that is proper to your rate of rifling twist, load them up and go hunting.

.030 off the lands n grooves is some cliche, parroted bullsht. It doesnt apply to wvery caliber.

Less chamber pressure, especially above 30 cal, if you seat them a little deeper into the case.

I had a box of defective hornady 200 grain 35 cal interlok. Some were softpoints, some were fmj's. Hornady never offered fmj's in that caliber at that weight.

They were very inaccurate. I saved the fmj's for wolf and fox, since they hit same poi. The soft points were used for moose.

Surrounded by a few thousand hornady brass and reloading bullets, none of it is precise stuff. But neither are my bugger cockeyed 77's (ruger hawkeye 77).

I'll bitch about it, but later in the week, use them for hunting. The severe shortages have changed me!

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 11/05/20.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Accuracy wise in descending order of importance. (Aside from shooting the bullet you want that is.. )

the 3-4 B’s

Barrel (bore, rifling, chambering & ammo)
Bedding
Bolt (and trigger)
Behind the butt (the person shooting knowing how to hold the gun & support the rifle & themself)

No body shoots good with a Bad barrel, or bedding, some folks can shoot with a heavy trigger others can’t...
If you are a real ELR nut then getting your heart to slow and or stop for a couple of seconds really helps.

Last edited by Spotshooter; 11/05/20.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 1badf350, 65 invisible), 3,016 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,195
Posts18,503,558
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.