Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Andrews1958: I have been mounting scopes on Rifles for more than 5 decades now and the boresighters I have used have been well worth the money. I have 5 (five) of them now - 3 Bushnells and 2 Leupolds.
I wouldn't be without them - and when I see them at bargain prices on the used market I pick them up!
One of my Bushnells has the rare to find 17 caliber stud for boresighting those small bores.
I get taxed with mounting many scopes a year amongst my friends and their friends (who know what a good job I do of aligning the rings and then lapping the rings then properly mounting and bore sighting their scopes) - I sell a lot of scopes to my friends, mostly as favors and not for profit - I just enjoy doing this type thing.
Using a boresighter keeps my friends happy and my reputation intact because I do not sight in but about half of the rigs I mount scopes on.
And unlike some armchair experts (no offense small twig!) I mount and boresight scopes on all manner of Rifles and a few pistols!
These include lever action Rifles, pump action Rifles, semi-auto Rifles and break open single shot Rifles that do not allow for "sighting down the bore"!
I have not seen the Wheeler boresighter in use so have no opinion there.
What does surprise me though is how well the magnetic end of the barrel attaching Leupold boresighters work.
Anyway I would not be with out them they are handy and quick to use and can be done (boresighting) in the same cradle as the Rifle is in for ring alignment and scope afixing - no need to take the Rifle/scope to a place where you can align the bore (on bolt action Rifles) with a distant object and then fiddle farting around with a Rifle that moves from that alignment each time the adjustments are touched - yeah been there done that, lesson learned!.
Over the years the boresighters have also helped me "trouble-shoot" problems of scopes "running out of adjustment", "sticking" etc.
Go with a good quality boresighter - money well invested!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Thanks for all the info!

GB1

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by ChrisAU
The only tool I've found to ever help save a round or two of ammo is an old Bushnell collimator. Especially if you are removing a zero'ed scope and replacing it with a new one, I can generally get a new scope to shoot within a few clicks at 100 first time out by recording what the old scope saw on the collimator and putting the new one as close to there as I can, takes about 30 seconds.

That’s what I have, always six inches low and six inches to the right.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I've never really had the need for them. Couple of shots at 25-50 and then on to the 100 or 200. We do a lot oflaser boresighting for customers at work. They seem to think it means the gun is sighted in, even though we tell them it's not. Too many are afraid of their guns and don't want to shoot them.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I use a SiteLite SL-500 laser bore sighter. It works great. After bore sighting at home, I can start final sight-in at 100 yards, which, when you shoot at a public range, saves a lot of time by skipping shooting first at 25yards.

The main thing to look for in a laser bore sighter is the brightest laser, so you can easily do your bore sighting in the day light on a less-than-ideal background.

For a bolt rifle, looking down the bore works, too. But you need a steady rest so the rifle doesn't move while you switch between looking down the bore and looking through the scope. A laser bore sighter (or other types of bore sighters) skips that requirement, making it easier to use.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I made a video on how to modify a Leupold Zero Point, 9 years ago.

When my cousin with the patents at Mitutoyo watched it, he was on a biz trip in a hotel. He said the video allowed him to fall asleep.

That was a breakthrough for me. I have been sleeping with youtube ever since. This week I am listening to Sean Carroll's playlist "The biggest ideas in the universe" as I sleep.

The sleepiest part of my video is at 26 minutes in, I explain a current loop with a battery, resistor, and LED..............clunk..........zzz

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B2

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, AB2506, 406_SBC, 14 invisible), 3,523 guests, and 773 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,447
Posts18,528,806
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.