Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Does anyone hunt with one? Recommendation for factory load? I know it's not the most ideal cartridge for deer, but it's my Aunts rifle who has killed a ton of deer with it. She's in her 70s and hasn't hunted deer in awhile so I asked her if I could try to fill a tag or two with it this year. I plan on picking my shots wisely and keeping them to 50 yards.

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you must, the best factory load would be the Winchester hollow point. The hollow point is tiny, about 1/16", but a big pistol hollow point is neither needed nor desirable at carbine velocities. Keep in mind that you are dealing with magnum pistol ballistics and a very light for caliber bullet, so careful shooting and archery range is called for. Check your local laws because the M1 Carbine is sometimes specifically not allowed for deer. With good reason.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by natman
If you must, the best factory load would be the Winchester hollow point. The hollow point is tiny, about 1/16", but a big pistol hollow point is neither needed nor desirable at carbine velocities. Keep in mind that you are dealing with magnum pistol ballistics and a very light for caliber bullet, so careful shooting and archery range is called for. Check your local laws because the M1 Carbine is sometimes specifically not allowed for deer. With good reason.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

why would a 30 carbine not be allowed for deer? they allow 357 pistols

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I used a 30 carbine though from a Ruger Blackhawk on a couple of deer. The soft nose Remington load did not expand much but it penetrated well. I would not use the Blackhawk again for deer but it worked for me twice.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Cool . I bet you could go to 100 yds

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good advice from natman,

Not a lot to choose from as far as factory loads - that Winchester load he mentioned is probably about as good as any that you'll find easily.

If your Aunt has killed a ton of deer with it, why not just ask her what load she was using if she's still around or maybe another family member can remember what it was??

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rickt300
I used a 30 carbine though from a Ruger Blackhawk on a couple of deer. The soft nose Remington load did not expand much but it penetrated well. I would not use the Blackhawk again for deer but it worked for me twice.

I just picked up one that I was gonna tote some for back-up this year. Will be interesting...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I certainly wouldn’t consider anything over 50 yds.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A few years ago I bought a Marlin 62 lever action so chambered and at some point I intend to point it at a doe. I had planned to use the Hornady FTX load but they're not terribly accurate in this gun. A few months ago I picked up a box of Herters brand hollow points similar to the Winchester load but haven't had a chance to try them yet.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BobBrown

I killed a couple of average size blacktail deer at around that range years ago - one about 90yds & the other around 110 yds.
Clean kills with complete penetration just behind the shoulder on both with cheap factory Remington soft points.

I wouldn't go any farther than that, and closer if you can, and stay off the shoulders and large bones - just my
.02cts.

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
My late uncle started using one after he was busted up in a work accident. He was the best shot in the family and he had trouble with the deer running after being hit and being hard to recover. He tried different factory loads and finally had me loading for the rifle. I don't remember the bullets that were reloaded, but they had better stopping power.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BobBrown

There are a lot of factors that make a bullet work - diameter, weight, velocity, sectional density. The only one the M1 Carbine has going for it is velocity. It's small diameter (by pistol standards) and light, so it has little sectional density. Combine that with a not very aerodynamic shape and velocity drops off quickly. Sure, if you hit a deer just right at 100 yards with a soft point it won't do its health much good if things go right. But you should choose a cartridge that will still work if - no, when - things go wrong. There's not much extra anything with the M1 Carbine. Keep the range short.

Last edited by natman; 11/10/20.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

It's been several years now but originally the .30 cal. carbine round was not allowed for deer in Kentucky. During the same period .240 caliber was the minimum legal cartridge allowed. Both are legal here now though.

Hard to figure how both the .30 carbine and .223 were acceptable cartridges for military issue and killed countless enemies but considered not up to par to kill a deer with.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
105 yards easy

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I killed my first head of big game, a tiny mule deer buck when I was 11 years old. I used a 30 carbine and Winchester 110 grain hollow points. One behind the should shot into the heart at @100 yards put a quickened step to the 100 lb deer. It ran @50 yards and died. I recovered the perfectly mushroomed bullet. Penetration was minimal. I lost the bullet during my wild teen years and would really like to have it back. I would not use a carbine again on deer sized game. I recovered a 110 grain Speer Varmiter hollow point from a 4 pound racoon.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Deer deserve to be treated with more respect than that.
Just saying.....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by stuvwxyz
I killed my first head of big game, a tiny mule deer buck when I was 11 years old. I used a 30 carbine and Winchester 110 grain hollow points. One behind the should shot into the heart at @100 yards put a quickened step to the 100 lb deer. It ran @50 yards and died. I recovered the perfectly mushroomed bullet. Penetration was minimal. I lost the bullet during my wild teen years and would really like to have it back. I would not use a carbine again on deer sized game. I recovered a 110 grain Speer Varmiter hollow point from a 4 pound racoon.

Heck, I recovered a 255 gr. Luballoy .45 Colt bullet from a raccoon once upon a time, and we also got a couple 230 .45ACP ball bullets from the same coon! They can absorb a lot of lead now and then. We finally killed the danged thing with a .22 rifle, and had to pry it off the tree limb.

I've killed a bunch of coons with .22 Short HPs, but they're tough little fuggers.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
As you said, short range, pick your shot. Killed my first deer with a 30 carbine, 20 yards, just where the neck joins the head. DRT.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by MickeyD
Deer deserve to be treated with more respect than that.
Just saying.....

WTF does that even mean?

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
I’ve seen several killed with the .30 carbine. Works fine if you can shoot. Place a bad shot and it’s about like any thing else.

GOD Bless America
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1Longbow, 160user, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 57 invisible), 2,471 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,185
Posts18,484,820
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.