Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by bcp
The exception TESTS the rule.

As in: U.S. Army Aberdeen Proving Ground[quote=Johnny Dollar]Bruce, if you're going to introduce logic into this conversation, we are just going to have to ask you to leave. These types of "discussions" are always governed by emotions, memories - both real and faulty, and something that had been heard sometime and may or may not pertain to the topic. Sheesh! Such simple rules, you'd think you'd be able to follow them.

RoninPhx,
I really don't know WWII armament history so well that I can argue either way. I can only relate what this veteran told me, more than once and that was that he had a bayonet on the carbine. Whether it was a GI mount or something he'd made out of baling wire and a C-Rat can, I don't know. He was a big Finnish farm kid from far northern Minnesota and spoke factually every time we talked. On his deathbed, he had nightmares about Iwo and wept like a baby...and he begged the Lord for forgiveness. Not unlike a lot of veterans I imagine.

even the M1 carbines bayonet could not penetrate the enemies vests in Korea lol

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Valsdad

And for sure Dan is a special one for sure. wink

Naw, I ain't near as special as this fella. Reminds me of a fella named Chuck in a way.

[Linked Image from images3.memedroid.com]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar
Bruce, if you're going to introduce logic into this conversation, we are just going to have to ask you to leave. These types of "discussions" are always governed by emotions, memories - both real and faulty, and something that had been heard sometime and may or may not pertain to the topic. Sheesh! Such simple rules, you'd think you'd be able to follow them.

RoninPhx,
I really don't know WWII armament history so well that I can argue either way. I can only relate what this veteran told me, more than once and that was that he had a bayonet on the carbine. Whether it was a GI mount or something he'd made out of baling wire and a C-Rat can, I don't know. He was a big Finnish farm kid from far northern Minnesota and spoke factually every time we talked. On his deathbed, he had nightmares about Iwo and wept like a baby...and he begged the Lord for forgiveness. Not unlike a lot of veterans I imagine.

there were a number of modifications during the war, i can think of at least three front barrel bands off the top of my head.
the last one had a bayonet lug, which given the time frame of iwo, not doubting the bayonet. kind of useless, like the one for the m16.
i have a small addiction to carbines, been messing with them for years.
they were still in use during the vietnam years. friend of mine found one in a stream, took it to a armorer, and had it converted to a m2, automatic. cut the buttstock off, put a leather thong on it worn around his neck. called it his whore house gun.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 11/11/20.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I am..........disturbed.

IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by 3dtestify
I certainly wouldn’t consider anything over 50 yds.

This. They've killed many more deer than their owners have found.

Some of Hemmlers deer shot by my uncle in the black forest in WW2 with one were hit a couple or 3 times on the run and werent recoverd by his men. You can imagine the odds of a hit deer getting away from a bunch of hungry grunts after eating their rations for a while.

Last edited by jaguartx; 11/11/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Yep. Id much prefer a 55 gr hornady interlock at 3250 out of an AR for deer.

I Dindo Nuffin
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Holy crap this is getting rediculous. Old codger up the road here has killed a pile of deer with an old Savage .32-20. Far as I know the only rifle he owns and he eats venison every year. A friend of mine has killed a bunch with a .22 hornet. I've killed several with .22LR. .22 mag. and 5mm rimfire mag. as well as a .357 revolver. Anybody who can't get it done with a .30 carbine ain't much of a hunter.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
DD is a case unto himself.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. My rash has been cured for at least 7 months.

I hope all you fellas realize that if you quit thinking about your wench it's not hard to put a bullet where it needs to go. Really.

Did i tell you about my youngest uncle Eugene from E Texas who got a very distracting crawley kind of icthy rash somehow while over in the Korean Conflict.

He said he snuck over behind some pallets of boxes of cans of DDT and when no one was looking his way he pulled out the front of his pants and drawers and dumped in about half a can.

He said it was a wonderful treatement but I noted he seemed to be a little strange in his old age and lingered in a nursing home for many years due to dementia.

It was an inglorious ending to one who had been a great shot on deer and squirrels and played on the army football team for a while. Got his right eye soundly injured in NK and ended up switching to shoot left handed.

His oldest brother had done the deer harvesting for his troops years earlier in Germany.

Last edited by jaguartx; 11/11/20.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
All you have to do is sit yo ass still, don’t smell like a minute mart and let em get good and close.

Proper shot placement and you’ll have no problems knocking one down. Just use soft point ammo

By the way this a button buck.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by slumlord
All you have to do is sit yo ass still, don’t smell like a minute mart and let em get good and close.

Proper shot placement and you’ll have no problems knocking one down. Just use soft point ammo

My gawd. Yew meen to say that still wurks?

That's funny how animals have got so blankety
blanking bullet proof even since I started hunting.
I hear all these folks talk about expansion this and
kinetic energy that, when the bare truth is that
if you poke a hole through the pump house and
let blood out of where it's supposed to be, and air
into where it's not supposed to be, animals will die.
I've shot plenty of animals with arrows that didn't
expand or transfer any energy, and the animals
died and went into freezer bags.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image from danspapers.com]

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad

And for sure Dan is a special one for sure. wink

Naw, I ain't near as special as this fella. Reminds me of a fella named Chuck in a way.

[Linked Image from images3.memedroid.com]

Uh.........................OK.

grin

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by slumlord

By the way this a button buck.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Beautiful. Thanks, Slum. Been a while since i saw one in the E Texas river bottoms. One walked by me in the E Texas sandy loam hills north of the timbered bottoms last year, but it had been logged several years ago and was travelling through replanted pine and black berry brambles and weeds.
Not the same.

I Dindo Nuffin
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by BayouRover
... an official number of 6,121,309 of them were produced from July 1942 – August 1945 for the US military. That number far exceeds any other firearm produced for military use in WWII.

Why? Because many actual combat troops preferred it over the M1 Garand.

1. All of those heaps of carbines were ordered, and most were delivered, before US ground troops had used them in combat to any meaningful degree.

2. Actual troops preferred it to the Garand because 95% of their job was something other than rifleman, and usually behind the lines at that, and the Carbine was easy to carry around.

3. In any case nobody gave a damn what they preferred, conscripts carried what they were issued. They ate food you wouldn't feed your dog and wore cotton jackets in the rain too.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by 3dtestify
I certainly wouldn’t consider anything over 50 yds.

This. They've killed many more deer than their owners have found.

Some of Hemmlers deer shot by my uncle in the black forest in WW2 with one were hit a couple or 3 times on the run and werent recoverd by his men. You can imagine the odds of a hit deer getting away from a bunch of hungry grunts after eating their rations for a while.

My guess is, most calibers have killed many more deer than their owners have found.

My other guess is, that shooting at those deer, on the run, in the Black Forest, with a fairly slow bullet, most of those deer "..hit a couple or 3 times..." were missed by several feet. Most people have no idea how far in front of a running deer they have to shoot to hit it, especially with a bullet that starts under 2000 fps and slows down fast.

Mathew 22: 37-39

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N

Veeeeery interesting 😊

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
I wonder how many deer have been taken with the 22

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by gunner500
I don't, but have thought about using my old 351 Win SL, iirc the 180gr Hawk bullet runs around 1800 fps over 4227 powder, may work on a close lung hit.

My ex wife's family had one of those that had been floating around their family since about 1910...Came from Grandpa whoever, who worked as a security guard at Sandstone Prison.. they had to buy their own gun in those days, and that was what they were instructed to purchase...

but it had been putting down deer in the MN northwoods from 1910 thru the early to mid 1980s...

ammo was hard to find, no one hand loaded...and by that time the ammo they had was pretty crusty and corroded looking..

but it worked well at 100 yds or under...worked as well as one brother in law who used a Marlin lever action in 357 Mag each year with good results...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I am reading With the Old Breed by Eugene Sledge. He was a mortar man in the Marines in the horrible, grim fighting on Peleliu.
The mortar guys all carried the 1911 Colt, but somehow Sledge got his hands on an M1 Carbine, which he carried along with the pistol. The Marines loved the little rifle and killed a lot of Japs with it.

They would pass the carbine around depending on the situation. I just read where, it was about 2 am with pale moonlight. Sledge's buddy asked to borrow the carbine.
He spotted a Jap sneaking in from the ocean, the water was just about 3 feet deep, the Jap was 30 yards out to sea. Sledge's buddy fired twice and killed the Nip, and said "Thanks buddy" and handed the rifle back to Sledge.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

93 members (35, Akhutr, 10gaugemag, akrange, 16 invisible), 1,617 guests, and 858 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,941
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.