Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
There are many ways to set a full-length die. All of them are wrong.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It’s incredibly easy to do, nothing is left to speculation or “feel”. I recommend you guys take the time to watch that video I posted.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 5sdad
There are many ways to set a full-length die. All of them are wrong.

Laughin' here.....................

MM

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
marking this thread

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I started using the Stony Point/Hornady case gauge 25+ years ago, wouldn't be without it. I have calipers dedicated to my Stony Point case gauge and comparator bodies, and they have been attached to the calipers for going on a couple decades now.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by brydan
Originally Posted by boatanchor

Agree 100%, those that do it by feel have no idea if they are bumping .001" or .010"

My loading process was much better before I had the tools to measure things laugh

That's the problem with all these fancy tools--a guy finds out just how much things vary, and then drive yourself nuts trying the minimize that variation.........sheesh.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by brydan

My loading process was much better before I had the tools to measure things laugh

See what I mean?!!!

cry

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

I often feel that when a person reaches a point where repeatability is nigh onto impossible, he's gone beyond a reasonable point.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Zediker makes a point multiple times in his books: it's up to the individual to decide whether a process is worth the extra effort.

Which means said individual has to know what he's trying to accomplish. Eg. more consistently knocking out "1s and 2s". Or shooting deer and moose out to 200 yds. Or trying to maximize case life. Or not caring. Eieio......

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I use the Hornady comparator on my Mitutoyu caliper to measure the bump, and I use the multi-thickness Redding “Competition” Shellholder Set to control the bump. I like that combination because it’s very easy and repeatable.

Last edited by Frankk; 11/11/20.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you're turning your die in 1/4 or 1/8 turn at a time to achieve easy chambering, you are no doubt pushing your shoulder back a lot more than necessary---unless you happen to luck out with the way your chamber is reamed, the way your sizing die is reamed, and the way your shell holder was machined.

If / when I use a FL die, I adjust it to bump the shoulder back so that I like the way bolt closure feels---slightly firm, but no more than that. I do this using measurements as I go so that I can keep track of the increments of shoulder bump as I am changing the adjustment.

If you do the arithmetic, turning the die body into the press six degrees should bump the shoulder an additional 0.0012" and that is the equivalent of the movement of the second hand of a clock in one second. Mathman has some objection to this concept...I don't recall exactly, but maybe it was press flex or something along those lines. Maybe he'll be so kind as to pipe up and remind us (ME). The concept is still valid, though. To "get it right" by turning your die an additional eighth of a turn is highly unlikely to land you right in the sweet spot.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The brass has spring to it. So when you start it moving it won't necessarily linearly follow the amount the die is turned into the press.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
The brass has spring to it. So when you start it moving it won't necessarily linearly follow the amount the die is turned into the press.

Yes, it's probably a little unpredictable in that way but it still should be a fairly close approximation...but the point is that screwing the die in *just a little bit more* can push the shoulder back much further than what you intend.

I would imagine that annealing reduces the "spring back" effect just as it affects bullet pull (I dislike the term "neck tension").

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
That can happen even if you're turning the die in by very small amounts. Suppose the little increments you've been using have been working against elastic deformation and then the next increment added on goes into the plastic region. Boing! How did I move the shoulder that much?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Checking fired brass I'll see 1-2 thou variation. Same lot, fired in same chamber. After sizing still about same amount variation.

And that first piece of brass used to incrementally move the die, having been worked a few times, will usually be shorter than the next piece sized at that same setting.

Tedious, but it's about brass life not safety. When I'm trying to keep bump to a minimum will check every piece in the chamber.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
That can happen even if you're turning the die in by very small amounts. Suppose the little increments you've been using have been working against elastic deformation and then the next increment added on goes into the plastic region. Boing! How did I move the shoulder that much?

That's why I anneal my brass before setting the few FL dies I am using, or my body dies. I measure as I adjust, using a fresh case for each adjustment. Once I find that sweet spot I lock the ring and leave it there.

Don't be the darkness.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by 300_savage
I use the Redding shellholder kits that allow the die to touch the shellholder while still allowing control of the shoulder bump, or lack of it if that is what you want. As the one poster noted, a neck sized case will be hard to chamber after a few firings, then start with the 0.010 thicker shellholder. If that doesn't allow easy chambering, use the 0.008, and so forth till the crush fit almost, or completely disappears. Write in your die box which shellholder to use so you don't forget.
You are then bumping the shoulder a maximum of 0.002" which I can live with for hunting ammo.

This is what I do, and love those Redding competition shell holders.

Once you find out which shell holder to use for your load, which only bumps the shoulder between 1 and 2 thousands, you just set up the press normally then on all future loads for that set of dies and that caliber... you are always "bang-on", and don't have to fiddle with resetting the die and testing/measuring incrementally as you lower it more and more.

Saves beaucoup time and is repeatable.

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by RiverRider
If you're turning your die in 1/4 or 1/8 turn at a time to achieve easy chambering, you are no doubt pushing your shoulder back a lot more than necessary---unless you happen to luck out with the way your chamber is reamed, the way your sizing die is reamed, and the way your shell holder was machined.

If / when I use a FL die, I adjust it to bump the shoulder back so that I like the way bolt closure feels---slightly firm, but no more than that. I do this using measurements as I go so that I can keep track of the increments of shoulder bump as I am changing the adjustment.

If you do the arithmetic, turning the die body into the press six degrees should bump the shoulder an additional 0.0012" and that is the equivalent of the movement of the second hand of a clock in one second. Mathman has some objection to this concept...I don't recall exactly, but maybe it was press flex or something along those lines. Maybe he'll be so kind as to pipe up and remind us (ME). The concept is still valid, though. To "get it right" by turning your die an additional eighth of a turn is highly unlikely to land you right in the sweet spot.

Did you mean .0012, or did you mean .012?

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
0.0012"

Don't be the darkness.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 222Sako, 65 invisible), 2,403 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,546
Posts18,491,649
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.