Originally Posted by RiverRider
If you're turning your die in 1/4 or 1/8 turn at a time to achieve easy chambering, you are no doubt pushing your shoulder back a lot more than necessary---unless you happen to luck out with the way your chamber is reamed, the way your sizing die is reamed, and the way your shell holder was machined.

If / when I use a FL die, I adjust it to bump the shoulder back so that I like the way bolt closure feels---slightly firm, but no more than that. I do this using measurements as I go so that I can keep track of the increments of shoulder bump as I am changing the adjustment.

If you do the arithmetic, turning the die body into the press six degrees should bump the shoulder an additional 0.0012" and that is the equivalent of the movement of the second hand of a clock in one second. Mathman has some objection to this concept...I don't recall exactly, but maybe it was press flex or something along those lines. Maybe he'll be so kind as to pipe up and remind us (ME). The concept is still valid, though. To "get it right" by turning your die an additional eighth of a turn is highly unlikely to land you right in the sweet spot.

Did you mean .0012, or did you mean .012?

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers