Originally Posted by mathman
I handload cartridges using methods/tools from basic to somewhat advanced, all according to what I want to accomplish at the time.

With a bit of experience, or guidance from someone who has been around the bench a few laps, you pick up tricks of the trade. For example, for a wide class of cartridges all you need if you want to measure shoulder bump is an empty piece of 40 S&W brass. Put the 40 case over the mouth of your 308, 30-06 or the like. Measure the whole shebang. Size your case. Measure again the same way. The difference is the bump, no fancy gauge needed.

That or set your die up so it barely bumps the shoulder, try to chamber that casing. If it doesn't chamber it, screw the die in a hair bit more. Once it starts to chamber that partially sized case, the feel will go from a lot of resistance in closing the bolt to closing with just enough resistance that you know you have your die set right. This chidt isn't rocket science and I'm with Don who said he's sick of hearing about how you need all these gadgets for loading the same ammo that guys have been successfully loading for decades upon decades. A guy can get buy with the bare essentials when reloading and do a damn good job at it. There are a lot of newbies around that are led to believe that you can't do it without certain gauges and tools and it ends up costing the new hand loader an exorbitant amount of money, just to get started, because they are led to believe such nonsense.. Guys need to get back to the basics and stop spreading this horse manure... Not directed at you mathman, your 40S&W case trick is a good one.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA