Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

I happily and unapologetically use one of these. I like to know if I am bumping .001, .002, .003 or whatever. I may do it for reasons beyond copping a feel.... Meaning, I may do it even if not "tight" in the chamber such as making a cartridge that'll work in multiple rifles, eg, not seeking a crush fit. I also prefer 8" caliper because of the added length of these gizmos as well as the ones that sit on the olgive. I like them so much in fact I find it unnecessary to own a 40. Nor do I think it is rocket surgeryish, just a simple tool of the trade.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Agree 100%, those that do it by feel have no idea if they are bumping .001" or .010"

This is doubtlessly 100% correct. Nor do they (we) care how much we are bumping it. We are sizing the brass to a perfect fit in that particular chamber. It matters not how oversized it formally was, only that after a pass through the optimally adjusted full length sizer, it is now just right.
So not knowing how much you are bumping back has no bearing on how nicely you are preparing that case to be fired in that rifle, and insuring its long life, assuming one uses the process I described earlier in the thread. (As far as I know ;o)

Cheers,
Rex

Last edited by TRexF16; 07/12/20.