Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

I happily and unapologetically use one of these. I like to know if I am bumping .001, .002, .003 or whatever. I may do it for reasons beyond copping a feel.... Meaning, I may do it even if not "tight" in the chamber such as making a cartridge that'll work in multiple rifles, eg, not seeking a crush fit. I also prefer 8" caliper because of the added length of these gizmos as well as the ones that sit on the olgive. I like them so much in fact I find it unnecessary to own a 40. Nor do I think it is rocket surgeryish, just a simple tool of the trade.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Agree 100%, those that do it by feel have no idea if they are bumping .001" or .010"

That's strange....I know how much I am bumping back by how much I adjust my sizing die. The difference is the chamber. Every chamber is different in shape, particularly around the shoulder of the case. There may be a standardized datum line measurement, but that doesn't mean you headspace off of it when the gun gets fired. Depending on the vagueries of your chamber, you may be headspacing right on the point of the shoulder, or right at the shoulder-neck juncture. So YOU don't really have any idea how much YOU are bumping. That is why I go by feel, and move my die downward a couple thousandths of an inch at a time. If a round chambered tight at one setting, and chambered freely at the next adjustment, I have, at most, .002" headspace leeway, and likely about .001". See, if you use your brain properly, it is the best tool you possess.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.