Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I can't get the idea of a 6x45 out of my head. I'm talking about a simple rifle; bolt action, drilled and tapped (of course) 20-21" slim-ish barrel contour, probably internal magazine (floor plate preferred), stainless or blued, wood or synthetic or even laminated handle.

What's the best (OK, cheapest. Still have young mouths at home) way to get here? Actions I have considered are Howa, Rem 700, Rem 7, even Ruger 77 (even though it's a bit heavy for my liking).

Thanks

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Buy a 700 223 send it to Douglas Hart Pac Nor and tell them what you want. A million ways to skin that cat but I can’t think of any easier.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Buy a 700 223 send it to Douglas Hart Pac Nor and tell them what you want. A million ways to skin that cat but I can’t think of any easier.

This or do the same with the M7. 700 has more after market stuff but if the stuff/stock on it is what you want already you're done.

Of course whichever you use should be a .223 bf starting point. On both of those the mag box mod for longer OAL is easy.

Edited....I thought you already had the actions you listed. If starting from scratch and buying go 700 like Kaleb said.

Last edited by JCMCUBIC; 11/13/20. Reason: ...didn't have the action yet...
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, guys. I appreciate the responses.

Kaleb,...do you have any idea about the cost for a rebarrel and chambering from any of the outfits you mentioned?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I lucked into Steelhead's 6x45 Custom and love it. From what I can see and what I know, the easiest way is to go with a Remage barrel w/barrel nut.

I just went through the ordering on Preferred Barrel Blanks website for a 6x45, 8" twist, SS, #1 sporter, 20", w/barrel nut and with PBB removing your existing barrel from your action ($75). Total cost is $460.

Of course, you'd have to buy a Rem 700 .223 rifle with BDL metal or suffer ADL metal (it's a joke - I'm a ADL fan). Here is the website. Says 10-12 week turnaround.

https://preferredbarrelblanks.com/product/remage-pre-fit-barrel/

X-Caliber also does the Remage, but the cost is higher.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd also check with Douglas. Too bad IT&D isn't still doing chambering work.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 257heaven
I lucked into Steelhead's 6x45 Custom and love it. From what I can see and what I know, the easiest way is to go with a Remage barrel w/barrel nut.

I just went through the ordering on Preferred Barrel Blanks website for a 6x45, 8" twist, SS, #1 sporter, 20", w/barrel nut and with PBB removing your existing barrel from your action ($75). Total cost is $460.

Of course, you'd have to buy a Rem 700 .223 rifle with BDL metal or suffer ADL metal (it's a joke - I'm a ADL fan). Here is the website. Says 10-12 week turnaround.

https://preferredbarrelblanks.com/product/remage-pre-fit-barrel/

X-Caliber also does the Remage, but the cost is higher.

Thank you. I just returned from that site and doing the same thing. 20" SS, 1/8 twist.😀

That would be a low stress way to do it, for sure.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 257heaven

I just got done reading this thread. Lots of good info on it up until the grinch showed up.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I somehow ended up with two of them. I sent a Ruger Mini 14 to Accuracy Systems to be rebarreled to 6x45. After the fire at PacNor and I lost two barreled actions, I looked for a couple left handed mini Mausers to replace them. One of the ones I found is a 6x45. My plan is to send it out to PacNor to be rebarreled to one of the chamberings I lost in the fire. Having a hard time committing to that now. I shouldn’t have shot the donor.

Since acquiring the two I haven’t had a lot of time to get to the range. My wife’s health was an issue a year ago and then my job changed with the Covid plandemic. Was working a ton of hours and on call 24/7. I retired recently and am looking forward to getting both of them out to the range for further testing.

There’s several good and fairly inexpensive options, Ruger, Savage,Remington. ER Shaw is another barrel maker option.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just my luck that I get serious about wanting to do this shortly after Remington closes up shop. Looks like the supply of remmy actions is a little bit more tight than previously.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I can't get the idea of a 6x45 out of my head. I'm talking about a simple rifle; bolt action, drilled and tapped (of course) 20-21" slim-ish barrel contour, probably internal magazine (floor plate preferred), stainless or blued, wood or synthetic or even laminated handle.

What's the best (OK, cheapest. Still have young mouths at home) way to get here? Actions I have considered are Howa, Rem 700, Rem 7, even Ruger 77 (even though it's a bit heavy for my liking).

Thanks

There are lots of Rem 700 ADL's out there, I'll bet a WTB would bring out a couple.

It seems to me that the most economical way would be to get one of them and have a rebore done.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by drover

Thanks

There are lots of Rem 700 ADL's out there, I'll bet a WTB would bring out a couple.

It seems to me that the most economical way would be to get one of them and have a rebore done.

drover

A rebore crossed my mind, but I wasn't sure if a rebore from .224" to .243" was possible.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've never heard of the chambering. Hint. LAUGHING!

If rebores were worth a fhuqk,Reborer's would be selling barrel blanks and they sure as fhuqk do not. Read that again. Now one more time. HINT.

PBB Goat Fhuqked my 1-8" 7-08 Howage throat geometry,despite having a supplied dummy round. Hint.

Sevens suck ass in all areas,as compared to a 700. Hint.

The Ruger Mini is a schit platform for said chambering,due COAL. When heeding same,the 223 is mechanically better,because it makes more BC to length ratio...yet still compromised as compared to AICS DBM latitude Hint.

I shoot the chambering in both CRF(Montucky) and PushFeed(700's). If you are asking these questions,go 700 and AICS DBM,because it is turnkey flawless feed/function,replete with nice COAL latitude(AM steel 5-rounders and MDT Poly 10's). Hint.

Lightweight is expensive,Heavy is less expensive. Hint.

An OEM Big Green Sporter Contour dupe at 20" is plenty and you'll want to be 1-8" as a minimum and 7" is a nice place to be. Hint.

Stuff that in an OEM wood/laminate handle and you'll be there,after the AICS DBM inlet. Hint.

If going heavier,a KRG Bravo is the most,for the least and I'd grab a James spout and be Logging in a coupla days. Hint.

Miss twist,throat and/or COAL...the 223 whoops it's ass. Hint.

You've been led to fhuqking water.

Thank me later.

Hint..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
bruinruin - You might want to give JES a call and talk with them.

http://35caliber.com/index.html

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I’m pretty sure JES doesn’t do rebores that small. I’m pretty sure this outfit could help you.

Rebore

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Thanks, guys. I appreciate the responses.

Kaleb,...do you have any idea about the cost for a rebarrel and chambering from any of the outfits you mentioned?

I’m not Kaleb, but....
With a good quality stainless barrel, $625 or so.
With a chrome moly barrel, a little less, but you have to blue is so not much difference in the end.
I’d go with a REM 700.

NRA Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Thanks

Easiest route would probably be to buy my brother's model seven S/S in 6x45!

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
In the 6x45, I wouldn’t discount the 1:10 twist. The 6x45 really shines up to about 90 grains, then IMO you start to run out of steam. I have a custom built on a Sako vixen and an AR, both 1:10s, and they are fabulous shooters. Even in my bolt gun oal is limited. I like 70 blitzkings, 80 bergers, and 87s in hornady or Berger’s.

Whichever way you go, the 6x45 is a winner in my book.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I built one in 2003 and it has become one of my favorite rifles. I bought a 700 Remington from a buddy for $250. My neighbor at the time shot benchrest and this Hart barrel wouldn’t consistently shoot in the 2s anymore so he sold it to me for $35. I picked up a cheap factory plastic stock and my gunsmith buddy put it all together for a bottle of whiskey!
He did turn the barrel down quite a bit. It shoots 58&65 grn V-Max’s in the 1/2” range all day long! This little cartridge doesn’t look like much but man it knocks the hell out of coyotes!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

466 members (10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 43 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,087 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,509
Posts18,490,723
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.