-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Elk hunting I had a mountain side cut loose in front of me about 200 yards away. 20,000 metric tons on dirt, rock and trees came sloughing off a clear cut due to heavy rain and wind.

15 more minutes and Iโ€™d have learned how to surf a mountain.

I felt it first. Then I heard it. The loud cracking of timber and roots being ripped out of the soil was nothing short of powerful.

๐Ÿ˜Ž

PS

Cougars suck too. A hunter just got nailed a few weeks ago in an area I frequent for deer hunting.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Several Tomโ€™s have been taking in this area ranging in weight for 130โ€™s to 170โ€™s. I hate big pussy! LOL ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
โ€œMolon Labeโ€
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Cougars suck too.

Several Tomโ€™s have been taking in this area ranging in weight for 130โ€™s to 170โ€™s. I hate big pussy! LOL ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Big pussy be better than no pussy though, right?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Elk hunting I had a mountain side cut loose in front of me about 200 yards away. 20,000 metric tons on dirt, rock and trees came sloughing off a clear cut due to heavy rain and wind.

15 more minutes and Iโ€™d have learned how to surf a mountain.

I felt it first. Then I heard it. The loud cracking of timber and roots being ripped out of the soil was nothing short of powerful.

๐Ÿ˜Ž

PS

Cougars suck too. A hunter just got nailed a few weeks ago in an area I frequent for deer hunting.

Landslides and cougars sounds like Spring Break 1998!
๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜ต๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜ต๐Ÿ˜‚

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Pre season scouting, Klamath Natl Forest, stumbled into a huge 3 acre pot grow, complete with irrigation and camo netting. I backed out very carefully and quietly, and sure enough 6 weeks later, big front page news article on a big Mex cartel bust in the same drainage. DEA deported the farmers after questioning, they all claimed the Cartel was holding their families in Mexico hostage, to prevent the farmers from stealing the bud and running with it. Firearms were confiscated. It's a vicious industry. Now the Mex cartels are fading and the Hmong rule the industry in our county. Think about that next time "legal pot" comes up on your state's ballot.

You ever see squatch up that way? Supposed to be good territory for them. I always have wondered why they haven't bothered the grows?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Took my son on a moose hunting trip in Alaska. Launched our boat and traveled about 600 miles until we reached the Huslia river. We were in some really thick brush calling/raking to a nice bull. He was about 25 yards away thrashing the brush like crazy but we couldnโ€™t get a clear shot. Next thing we heard were a pack of wolves that surrounded the moose (and us) howling and yipping to each other. The hair on the back of my neck literally stood up. The bull took off and so did the wolves. I guess there were 6-8 wolves and if they had decided to attack us we would of been gonners.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Pre season scouting, Klamath Natl Forest, stumbled into a huge 3 acre pot grow, complete with irrigation and camo netting. I backed out very carefully and quietly, and sure enough 6 weeks later, big front page news article on a big Mex cartel bust in the same drainage. DEA deported the farmers after questioning, they all claimed the Cartel was holding their families in Mexico hostage, to prevent the farmers from stealing the bud and running with it. Firearms were confiscated. It's a vicious industry. Now the Mex cartels are fading and the Hmong rule the industry in our county. Think about that next time "legal pot" comes up on your state's ballot.

You ever see squatch up that way? Supposed to be good territory for them. I always have wondered why they haven't bothered the grows?

They don't have lighters yet??

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Scouting for bear for the first time with a buddy. A guy told us to look for the little posts that have the signs on them for directing snowmobiles on the forest trails in the winter. He said that bears just love to chew and rub on them. Sure enough we found one, chewed up and covered in black hair. Behind it was a 3 foot diameter circle (like a portal) going into the the thick brush and trees. We crawled through it until we could stand and we were standing next to a big deadfall planning where we would put the bait. All of the sudden we heard an angry growl and jaws popping about 5 feet into the deadfall. We hauled ass out of there. No crawling was done! lol

A few days later, we were setting up a bait WAY back in some real nasty stuff. Like 10' tall willows growing 6 inches apart. We had to use a chain saw just to make a path to get back there.

All of the sudden, what sounded like an old wind up siren on a fire truck froze us in our tracks. It broke into a howl and then the rest of the pack of wolves opened up. They couldn't have been more than 75 yards away.

When they say the hair stands up on the back of your neck, they are not lying.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Took my son on a moose hunting trip in Alaska. Launched our boat and traveled about 600 miles until we reached the Huslia river. We were in some really thick brush calling/raking to a nice bull. He was about 25 yards away thrashing the brush like crazy but we couldnโ€™t get a clear shot. Next thing we heard were a pack of wolves that surrounded the moose (and us) howling and yipping to each other. The hair on the back of my neck literally stood up. The bull took off and so did the wolves. I guess there were 6-8 wolves and if they had decided to attack us we would of been gonners.

Goners? Really? 2 of you, presumably both with guns?

Iโ€™ll admit that when the Lab and I got surrounded by a pack in heavy cover it got interesting, and the view back into the brush from the 8โ€™ wide trail was more like 20 feet. We went home with a pelt, they went away with one less.

Curiosa where u put in at - Fairbanks?

Last edited by las; 11/13/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by scoony
Drove into the hunting area in the dark as normal.

Driving out, something in the car caught my attention so I had to stop and take a pic. Creeped me out when I got closer.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Was that a real person in there? Whatโ€™s the story behind that pic? Creepy.

๏ฟฝPoliticians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.๏ฟฝ ๏ฟฝGeneral George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molษ”ฬ€หn Labรฉ Skรฝla~
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Looks like Strom Thurmond

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Lol......he looks like the typical democrat voter.

๏ฟฝPoliticians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.๏ฟฝ ๏ฟฝGeneral George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Lol......he looks like the typical democrat voter.

Yep!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I flushed a grouse one time that almost made me have a heart attack haha

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Was working on a ranch on the eastern slope in Montana.

Doing some fencing work in the spring. Was working afoot walking down a fence that dropped into a slough and climbed back up a hill. Real thick brush in the bottom but an animal trail went through it right along the fence. So I dropped to all fours and crawled through.Right in the middle of the brush,maybe 10+ yards in, I look down in the soft mud and see a cat track. The edges of the mud were really fine and still really moist. To me, that meant really fresh.I had the momentary thought of WTF am I doing here on my hands and knees in this mess and I flat out shot out the other side of that brush.

I decided that was not my savviest move ever in the great outdoors.

Montana MOFO
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe

Goners? Really? 2 of you, presumably both with guns?

Iโ€™ll admit that when the Lab and I got surrounded by a pack in heavy cover it got interesting, and the view back into the brush from the 8โ€™ wide trail was more like 20 feet. We went home with a pelt, they went away with one less.

Curiosa where u put in at - Fairbanks?

Launch at the haul road on the Yukon then ran to the Koyukuk then to the Huslia.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
12.7x108mm machine gun.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bowhunting whitetail at dusk and got into a situation where I found myself between a 315 lb momma black bear and her 4 cubs for over 25 minutes.

She got within less than 2 feet from me, wasn't sure what I was.

I'll never forget that look from her yellowish colored eyes and how her breath smelled.

I got out of it by staying completely calm and cool without either one of us getting harmed.

First thing I did as soon as I walked back to camp in the dark was have two shots of scotch.

-Ken

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by CaptEdIII
Bowhunting whitetail at dusk and got into a situation where I found myself between a 315 lb momma black bear and her 4 cubs for over 25 minutes.

She got within less than 2 feet from me, wasn't sure what I was.

I'll never forget that look from her yellowish colored eyes and how her breath smelled.

I got out of it by staying completely calm and cool without either one of us getting harmed.

First thing I did as soon as I walked back to camp in the dark was have two shots of scotch.

-Ken

How did you know it weighed 315 lbs? That sounds pretty precise.

3825 24336
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

262 members (10gaugemag, 41rem, 348srfun, 264mag, 12344mag, 160user, 31 invisible), 1,760 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,058
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.