Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SPQR70AD
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by Hubert
I went to a harley dealer and bought a turn signal light bulb they charged me $9.99 plus tax.. a month later I was in Radio shack and they had the same bulbs in a plastic bag with 2 bulbs in it made in china for 0.99 cents Fuch Harley... Yes I am still riding a Harley Sportster, I just don't deal with them anymore than I have to..

Lucky it wasn't a Toyota, you wouldn't even have got the thank you kiss.

you get robbed buying parts at a stealership no matter what the make of the vehicle is
OEM parts are ALWAYS more expensive, sometimes a LOT more. It's what keeps auto parts stores in business, selling the same parts with a different name on them. The only exception I've found to that is the cartridge oil filter for my Toyota Highlander. Walmart carries the oem filter for less than their after market brands.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by RickyD
I had a 77 LowRider. What a dog! And an oil slinging one, at that. I bored and stroked it, changed the cam and gears in the tranny, went to solid lifters, re-jetted the carb, put a belt on to the rear wheel and it ran acceptably. But it still slung oil! No one could fix that. I sold it and 30 years later bought a Victory. It's MUCH faster and responsive than my bored and stroked Harley ever was and all I have to do is push a button and go. Harelys are a way over priced image of conspicuous consumption in my book. Too bad Victory went under so Polaris could focus exclusively on their image of conspicuous consumption, the Indian.

My 2009 is oil tight. Hardly uses any at all. Doesn't leak a drop. Same deal with the 2005 Sportster I had. My BMW R100RS smoked at startup if it was on the side stand, but it had a lot of miles on it. Didn't use much oil, either. Never had a oil leaker. Lots of honda, and yamaha. They were all pretty good. The 72 Kawasaki 500 was goofy, but heck, it was a 1972!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by benchman
I find mine to be very reliable. Brakes, tires, and fluid changes. The turn signal bulb burnt out. Nothing unusual. The stock headlight is a joke though. 2009 Lowrider. An old flashlight is about equal. Got an LED one. All is well.

is that the headlight that blinds the driver in the other lane?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Dude, I just can’t watch any of your videos. I’d rather have a tooth pulled....

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Worked at an independent bike shop for awhile. HD's "problem" is you pay an extra 5-15K for an allegedly American made bike over metric(Assembled in america doesn't count) and don't have the same metric reliability. Look I do not hate HD or the company but numbers never lie why do metric bikes sale in this country? Price.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Brazos
My newest Harley is a 1974, so really can't speak to the last 45 years...

The Shovelheads, Panheads, Knuckleheads, Flatheads, were never "reliable" in the sense of turn the key and go like Jap bikes. They were, however, simple enough that a rider could usually keep them running.

I know the early carbureted Evos were pretty bullet proof.

Then came fuel injection and computers.
What could go wrong?

Yes they were.. Are.

I have a '97 Heritage Springer. Original owner. Local HD shop owner told me don't ever sell it. But, if you do, I want it in my garage.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I should be fined $500 for even opening this thread.

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
"What's happened to Harley-Davidson reliability?"

It has continued to improve.

My first Harley, an FXRS I bought brand new in 1989, had something come loose in the clutch before the bike had 500 miles. Dealer quickly fixed it under warranty. Also have owned a 2009 Dyna Super Glide Custom and a 2006 Sportster 883/1200 Custom, both bought used, Replaced valve cover gaskets on the Sportster at 25,000 miles. Really solid bikes. Only reason I went away from Harley is that, at 77 years old, and a few serious injuries including a fractured pelvis, I can no longer bear the weight of the bikes.

Also have owned Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha and BMW motorcycles. Presently own a Kawasaki W-650, which is basically a Triumph Bonneville redux.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
harley owns the big twin market in the us with roughly fifty percent with all others combined to make the rest up....so surely there are going to be more issues there

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by gene270
harley owns the big twin market in the us with roughly fifty percent with all others combined to make the rest up....so surely there are going to be more issues there

yes with their 100 year old engine design

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
you work on them do ya...whats so old with them
bikes either have flywheels or crankshafts to my knowledge ,pistons and valves and thats about all they have in common with 100 year old technology

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by benchman
I find mine to be very reliable. Brakes, tires, and fluid changes. The turn signal bulb burnt out. Nothing unusual. The stock headlight is a joke though. 2009 Lowrider. An old flashlight is about equal. Got an LED one. All is well.

is that the headlight that blinds the driver in the other lane?

I doubt it. It isn't aimed to go in the other lane. I'm not a dickweed.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

They are actually pretty trick. They just aren't fast or make scads of hp. They ARE entertaining though. To each his own. I've had a bunch of them, from boy racer to old guy bikes. I like them all.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I've owned 6-7 HDs over my time. I'm not a speed demon, and like the mechanical throb of a big twin while loafing along. But I've always marveled at the HD brand. How do you manufacture a bike with 100 year old technology, suspect reliability, low on speed and power, and charge more than twice what a competitor's bike cost? They're a marketing wonder!

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G

That's some funny chit right there. "100 year old design"

Nearly every gun in my vault is an over 100 year old design. Half the appliances in the house, same. Phuqk, auto transmissions offered on any scale are 81 YO this year, passenger car fuel injection is about 80 YO, the AR-15 is 64. So what is H/D thinking? Gee.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
They have NOT done a lot of thinking if they can't figure how to balance an engine. Krisake, John Deere figured it out over 100 years ago.

Couple that with their handling like a frigg' n hay wagon.
But, they do make a lot of noise.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
They have NOT done a lot of thinking if they can't figure how to balance an engine. Krisake, John Deere figured it out over 100 years ago.

Couple that with their handling like a frigg' n hay wagon.
But, they do make a lot of noise.

Actually handles pretty good. Very light touch and stable. I'll tell you what handled like a hay wagon - the Honda 750 sohc and Kawasaki Z1. Yuck. Anyway, they are most assuredly not a race bike . I'll give you that. The street ain't a racetrack, either. Way too many variables to really put the hammer down safely. Dandy that your bike will do 200 and lean to 45 degrees. Not a lot of opportunities to actually use it. Unless of course you don't give a crap when you smack the soccer mom after you miss your apex and cross the center line...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[quote=RDW]Harley reliability has not been a problem for me (grin)

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

A Harley Ninja ???? When did they 'hybrid' ? whistle
grin

Rice burners have served me well ATST.

I only have 1 Harley and it's the only 1 I've had. A 98 Ultra Glide Ultra Classic

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I bought it 2017 from a friend who had TOO many toys and I got it for a steal.
It turned 50 K recently and to date not a single problem.

WhatcanIsay ?

Last edited by jwall; 11/14/20.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Nice.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by gunzo

That's some funny chit right there. "100 year old design"

Nearly every gun in my vault is an over 100 year old design. Half the appliances in the house, same. Phuqk, auto transmissions offered on any scale are 81 YO this year, passenger car fuel injection is about 80 YO, the AR-15 is 64. So what is H/D thinking? Gee.

they do not have overhead cams. the idiotic design of one cylinder behind the other means the back cylinder runs a lot hotter. japs position engine where all 4 cylinders get air. every year or two jap engines improve with more horsepower in the same size engine. in fact a 500cc jap bike now would blow away a Harley . would you compare a 2 speed chevy trans from 1965 to a 6 speed tranny? if I had access to the tons and train loads of money poured into the AR the powder bullets twist rate for 40 years other people would have developed a mind controlled laser gun

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

695 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 77 invisible), 3,064 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,106
Posts18,483,278
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.