Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Theeck
I have a lot of gear but not much Sitka. Most of my gear is from Cabela’s. I also have a good amount of KUIU for backpack/bivy hunting but they don’t have gear aimed at cold-weather stand hunting. I have been using Cabela’s MT050 for this.

Anyway, I was trying to find the warmest suit for stand hunting in New England. No matter what I do, I always seem to get cold when the temperature drops below 30 unless I am moving. I mentioned the Blizzard parka and pants to my wife and and to my surprise she suggested I “just buy it.” So I did. It looks and feels good but I won’t get to try it for a week or two. I am excited to give it a go.

It’s expensive but, if it keeps me warm, it is well worth it in my opinion considering most of us have several $1,000 rifles that spend too much time in the safe.

Do any of you guys use this set? Is it warm?

30 years ago my buddies and I bow hunted the Wi late season archery end of December in 35 dollar snow mobile suits, wool sweaters from good will and sorel boots, chopper mits. In temps that were typically in the teens in tree stands. I think you're over thinking this. You're rifle hunting so obviously don't need Camo. You can find down pants for under a 100 bucks and a good parka for under 150 bucks on sale and a down hoody for 100 bucks on sale to layer. Chopper mits with hand warmers.

Sitka, kuiu make great gear for active hunting. But if you have the expendable income go for it

Last edited by ribka; 11/06/20.
GB4

T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by ribka
I have a lot of gear but not much Sitka. Most of my gear is from Cabela’s. I also have a good amount of KUIU for backpack/bivy hunting but they don’t have gear aimed at cold-weather stand hunting. I have been using Cabela’s MT050 for this.

Anyway, I was trying to find the warmest suit for stand hunting in New England. No matter what I do, I always seem to get cold when the temperature drops below 30 unless I am moving. I mentioned the Blizzard parka and pants to my wife and and to my surprise she suggested I “just buy it.” So I did. It looks and feels good but I won’t get to try it for a week or two. I am excited to give it a go.

It’s expensive but, if it keeps me warm, it is well worth it in my opinion considering most of us have several $1,000 rifles that spend too much time in the safe.

Do any of you guys use this set? Is it warm?

30 years ago my buddies and I bow hunted the Wi late season archery end of December in 35 dollar snow mobile suits, wool sweaters from good will and sorel boots, chopper mits. In temps that were typically in the teens in tree stands. I think you're over thinking this. You're rifle hunting so obviously don't need Camo. You can find down pants for under a 100 bucks and a good parka for under 150 bucks on sale and a down hoody for 100 bucks on sale to layer. Chopper mits with hand warmers.

Sitka, kuiu make great gear for active hunting. But if you have the expendable income go for it

I hunt late archery too when I still have tags.

I have done it with a lot of equipment over the years. I remember dressing in layers of sweat suits and other crap when I was a young hunter. I froze my ass off but had some success. At this point in my life (mid 40s) I have more money but less time. I have to hunt when I can and make the best of it. That's why I don't mind dropping some extra money on gear if it helps me make the most of my time afield. I wouldn't spend $750 on a showy, designer coat but will on something that will keep me warm when I am alone in the woods.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Thanks guys. I have some wool but I don't find it as warm as down or Primaloft. I have a lot layering pieces but I use them for hunting on the move more often. It gets to be a pain packing so much misc. crap for stand hunting. I'll give it a shot and see how it does. I did look at the Incinerator and Fanatic but I like that the Blizzard is waterproof even if that makes it noisy. If I am in a stand, I won't be moving enough to make noise.

I am headed to Vermont in a week for the rifle season. So far it is looking like highs around 50 and overnight lows in the 30s. I think it will be overkill unless a cold front comes in. I am always hoping for early snow in VT but the 10 day forecast is not looking promising. I will be up there until 11/21 or 11/22 so maybe a front will come in.

Incinerator is 3 layer goretex and quiet.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by BWalker
Originally Posted by tdbob
King of the Mountain or Sleeping Indian, they're all wool, heavy, and are perfect for what you want. They're proud of their stuff.

Except the wind goes right through wool, which is an issue in the western states.

Thats when the wind resistant thin shell comes out, but im guessing you know that.

Cabelas makes Wooltimate hunting garments w/ windshear. I have not tried it though.

Heavy and low quality. BTDT.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just received my order from Huntworth Gear. I've seen Sitka Gear and this Huntworth gear is every bit as good if not better that Sitka at half the price. Real happy with my items.

Coyotes shot no waiting.
IC B2

T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by GRIZZ
Just received my order from Huntworth Gear. I've seen Sitka Gear and this Huntworth gear is every bit as good if not better that Sitka at half the price. Real happy with my items.

I'll check it out.

D
D
Ill throw another wrench in the mix. I bought some First Lite gear, specifically the Sanctuary coat and bibs. I got them last xmas so I really haven't worn them yet but after hunting for over 30+ years in temps below -35 windchill I have experienced hunting in cold weather. I can see this being very very warm and could possibly be the last cold weather suit that I will have to buy. In fact I am actually looking to buy another set of their gear just lighter so that I can wear them more often. In fact I am looking at their Solitude set so that I can wear more often. To each their own but if you look into the company you will see that they rank up there with Sitka gear... Good luck in your searches.

T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by da_new_guy
Ill throw another wrench in the mix. I bought some First Lite gear, specifically the Sanctuary coat and bibs. I got them last xmas so I really haven't worn them yet but after hunting for over 30+ years in temps below -35 windchill I have experienced hunting in cold weather. I can see this being very very warm and could possibly be the last cold weather suit that I will have to buy. In fact I am actually looking to buy another set of their gear just lighter so that I can wear them more often. In fact I am looking at their Solitude set so that I can wear more often. To each their own but if you look into the company you will see that they rank up there with Sitka gear... Good luck in your searches.

I have a First Lite Chamberlin jacked that I use as a compressible insulation layer on cold-weather bivy hunts. I like it a lot. I also have the Uncompahgre jacket that I use as a layer in some conditions. I like First Lite but I thought they were more like KUIU in that they are for mountain / western-style / bivy hunting. The Blizzard set (parka, pants, hat) are geared toward stand hunting from a cabin or base camp. If First Lite make stand hunting clothes now, I am sure it is good.

I leave today for 8 days of hunting in Vermont. I report back on how the Blizzard gear does. It's not looking like it is going to be brutally cold though.

T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I just looked at that First Lite Sanctuary and it looks good and is half the price. I'll see how the Sitka does before doing anything crazy. It is nice that there are a lot of good options around these days.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I wore Sitka Stratus under Sitka Incinerator on alate season Illinois bowhunt. Temps around zero.

Can't say I was completely warm, but I never considered climbing out of the tree either.

Do a lot of hills here in the Adirondacks. The way Sitka (and Kuiu) stretch as you move equals less energy expended while I climb or walk. I wore my woolies one afternoon after acquiring Sitka and have never gone back to them. They seemed to fight me the whole day and I was noticibly more tired at the end of the day.

I'm fit, train for half Ironmans.

Love Sitka.

40% off at LEOADVENTURES.COM depending upon your profession.

I teach, the discount applies.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by tdbob
King of the Mountain or Sleeping Indian, they're all wool, heavy, and are perfect for what you want. They're proud of their stuff.

Except the wind goes right through wool, which is an issue in the western states.

Thats when the wind resistant thin shell comes out, but im guessing you know that.

Wear a shell over the wool? I'd rather a shell and a primaloft top and bottom to wear underneath when its cold. Lighter, warmer and dried much quicker.

Alex, can I have "dense" for $200?

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
A good down jacket and pants make winter hunting fun. Glassing or calling for an hour at a time at<10* is enjoyable w/ the right gear. Shop around, I have Western Mountaineering Flight pants and a Marmot Hooded guide jacket that I wear with a Patagonia down vest on stands and hunt the mountains in winter and love it. The whole setup cost just under $500.00 and the quality is fine. I buy them to fit over my hiking gear and in the time it takes to set out my E caller I am cooled off enough to put them on. I stuff everything inside a large garbage bag in my pack.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans
95% of the people here have never hunted, much less hunted below freezing. they are clueless.

I run the cheaper stuff. But I would hope that Sitka would do the job for the price it brings. Good luck!

delete

Last edited by 280shooter; 11/13/20.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It's usually the wind that freezes you. An outer layer of windproof/ waterproof clothing I find best. The drawback to that type of clothing is it is "noisy" when walking.

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Whatever layers I wear up here in the northern edge of MN a golf pull over wind shirt is part of the ensemble. Usually second to last layer on. Quiet under there and doubles up with my outer layer to stop wind.
Maybe more importantly is the bottom half. When sitting a stand much is lost thru the rump and more towards the top of the legs. The legs catch the rain and snow when sitting so this MUST be waterproof area.
Baffin boots are fantastic, rated to 80 plus below or so yet pliable and walkable.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Okay, I wore the gear today. It was 24 degrees at daybreak with about 5-10 mph winds. I was comfortable at first but after 4 hours in my tree stand, I was feeling the chill. Overall, that was good for me. It was my first sit below freezing this year other than a bivy hunt where I used a sleeping bag. In the afternoon it was around 40 with 20mph winds. I was comfortable.

It is not crazy warm though. Maybe a bit warmer than my Cabela’S MT050 and definitely lighter. One thing I should have done is sized up in the parka. It fits great but there is not a lot of room for layering. I am 6’1” and about 205 right now. I normally wear large but I am XL in KUIU and some other brands. I bought the large. I probably should have sized up in the parka. Or, I could stop eating [bleep] and drop to 190 where I should be. I’ll focus on slimming down rather than reordering.

So far, so good. It is supposed to drop to 16F in a couple days. We’ll see how it does.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
You wanted the Incinerator set, not the blizzard...

I however am not a fan of sitka, way too expensive for gear thats made in China. I also hate their patterns, I always joke you dont need hunter orange when wearing sitka gear.

Ive started buying a lot of Drakes Non-Typical, and Im more than impressed so far.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by Ejp1234

I however am not a fan of sitka, way too expensive for gear thats made in China. I also hate their patterns, I always joke you dont need hunter orange when wearing sitka gear.

Ive started buying a lot of Drakes Non-Typical, and Im more than impressed so far.

All this from the "Campfire" communist................unbelievable!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Ejp1234

lol... you've never hunted.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When on stand in very cold temps for a long time my down underwear is on beneath my wool and I am in a sniper bag or black sleeping bag when sitting.

Last year it was -8 with the windchill when I shot a doe in muzzleloader.

I might try a heater body suit but haven"t justified the expense yet.

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (06hunter59, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 1234, 70 invisible), 2,073 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,891
Posts18,479,159
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.