Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Now that Leupold and others stopped making them, they now seem to be a hot item and being sold at ridiculous prices. With rifles now having SS finished barrels there seems to be a strong market for silver finished scopes. Swift still makes them but not sure if any other scope manufactures do.

Last edited by andrews1958; 11/15/20.
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm not sure that there is much of a market for silver scopes. One thing that I think killed that market is that almost none of them very well matched the stainless finish of a rifle. Personally, I like better, the looks of black optics and rings, on my stainless rifles. RJ

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Prolly for this same reason, I have about 35 " Dark finish" vs only 1 silver.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Mfgs make what sells. It ain't rocket surgury.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I assume the fact that they look gay was a big deciding factor

100% Public land DIY!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I liked the gun metal grey scopes Leupold used to make. I have one on my .280 with brown/black HS Precision stock and kinda wished I had bought a couple more. Personally I thought the silver scopes looked fugly. I have one stainless barreled rifle and like the look of a black scope on it.

Last edited by Elvis; 11/16/20.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Bater

Yeah, probably this.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Craigster
Mfgs make what sells. It ain't rocket surgury.

This

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I never saw the appeal in having a scope that looked like it was painted silver sitting on top of a hunting rifle. I guess a lot of guys agree with me. If silver scopes are a small seller, then it’s an easy way to reduce cost because I’m sure there’s more expense in maintaining two colors than going with just black.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by andrews1958
Now that Leupold and others stopped making them, they now seem to be a hot item and being sold at ridiculous prices. With rifles now having SS finished barrels there seems to be a strong market for silver finished scopes. Swift still makes them but not sure if any other scope manufactures do.

A lot of SS rifles doesn’t mean at all that there’s a strong market for silver scopes that kinda-sorta match in color. Add yet another shade of silver (or two) with rings and bases, and the color-match fail worsens. Style (?) aside, as someone who usually hunts in close cover, I always thought that adding a big, light-colored, usually shiny doodad on top of my rifle was just making it harder to move without getting busted, the same reason I remove the quiver full of brightly-fletched arrows from my crossbow (live and learn) when sitting or sneaking.

Just as with any other option such as reticle style, more choices add to cost or lower profit margins, so scope makers have been steadily paring them down to what sells the best, or maybe what they think will distinguish their line from the gazilion others out there. Silver didn’t make the cut. The high prices of used ones isn’t because there’s a big demand, but because the supply is limited, and enthusiasts will pay it.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I kinda' like the silver scopes on SS rifles. I even have one on a SS 270......... blush

One thing I like is at low magnification with both eyes open the lighter finish of silver scopes one doesn't see the dark ring of the tube that is present with anodized scopes.

Silver scopes don't show bright scratches, either.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
They are made for 270 rifles

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by rj308
I'm not sure that there is much of a market for silver scopes. One thing that I think killed that market is that almost none of them very well matched the stainless finish of a rifle. Personally, I like better, the looks of black optics and rings, on my stainless rifles. RJ

Pretty good summary

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

That color-combo is kinda where I landed myself, after a few false starts. My Knight inline is SS, but nitrided, so no stylistic decisions need to be made. Wish more were like that.

What fresh Hell is this?
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I'm not sure that there is much of a market for silver scopes. One thing that I think killed that market is that almost none of them very well matched the stainless finish of a rifle. Personally, I like better, the looks of [b]black optics and rings, on my stainless rifles. RJ
[/b]

Ditto

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
When hunting up on Brokeback Mtn it would be nice to have something in a tasteful pastel or perhaps a rainbow motif for the bolder statement. We are neglecting a whole segment of the population.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by flintlocke
When hunting up on Brokeback Mtn it would be nice to have something in a tasteful pastel or perhaps a rainbow motif for the bolder statement. We are neglecting a whole segment of the population.

laugh

You didn't mention the flame stocked .270... blush

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like them on a stainless rifle to a point then I decorate them.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
never cared for them, they rarely match the rifle, or the rings, sitting there with three different "silver" finishes a lot of the time. Always looked tacky to me.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bater

Pretty much I bought one in a compact version and had it cerakoted matte black

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (117LBS, 1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,872
Posts18,518,060
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.