Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I am new to the 6.5 CM and have only been shooting it for about 1 1/2 years. Just started to hand load for it.

All of the factory loaded ammo boxes of the 143 gr ELD X that I have make no mention of the the recipe. From what I could gather, it was 41.7 grs of H4350.

Why did they stop printing that information?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I’ve never seen a single box of factory ammo with load data on it. Never.

For the most part, they use powders we usually don’t have access to or that we would recognize. The manufacturers buy powder in “carload” lots made to a specific burn rate (plus other measurable parameters). Federal doesn’t, for example, buy a trainload of IMR 4350. Mule Deer explains this much better than I do, but that’s the cliff notes version.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Some did indeed come with data on it.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I think it was the early years right after introduction?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I know John Barsness bought some in 2010, but I don't know the date of manufacture.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, Hornady put load data on boxes of their 6.5 Creedmoor factory ammo for a while. Whether it was the load actually used in the ammo, or a suggestion, might be debatable.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
From what I read putting the load recipe on the box was one of the stipulations for development. The criteria for the load was asked to a known LR shooter. That was one of the suggestions. I can't find the article.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I've got one of them boxes - saved for when the CM museum come callin' smile

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Cool. What is the load?

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
140 gr. AMAX, H4350 41.5 gr, Fed 210M primer, COL 2.810", MV 2700 fps. from a 24" barrel

Not gonna shoot this box...

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I shot those loads in my first 6.5 Creedmoor, a walnut-stocked Hawkeye with a 26" barrel. If I recall corrrectly (this was a decade ago) 5-shot groups (not 3-shot) averaged around .6" at 100 yards. Have used the same basic load in several others 6.5 CMs since then, and all have shot well--including a Ruger American Predator which shot even better.

Kinda wish I kept that rifle, but bought several other 6.5 CMs to see if they shot as well. Also have fooled with a few loaners. My latest is a Bergara Ridge, which also shoots very well, but is sort of in the middle of the 6.5 CMs owned.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
When the Gen 1 RPR first came out, I put my money down and bought it along with a small pallet of those AMAX Match factory ammo.

I recall some shooters on the line mentioning the load was hot (???) in their custom rigs, but the RPR just loved that load.

I'm wouldn't be surprised to hear Ruger made sure their RPR foray would shoot that factory round like a champ.

Pud

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Godogs57

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yep, Hornady put load data on boxes of their 6.5 Creedmoor factory ammo for a while.

Well, that's probably why ! whistle grin

I never bought any 6.5 Creedmoor ammo and I never 'looked' at a box of it. wink

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by Godogs57

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yep, Hornady put load data on boxes of their 6.5 Creedmoor factory ammo for a while.

Well, that's probably why ! whistle grin

I never bought any 6.5 Creedmoor ammo and I never 'looked' at a box of it. wink

Jerry

Eggzackly

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Lawyers?? Someone was certain to blow themselves up using the listed load.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
CGPAUL,

I doubt it. If that was the concern, why does Hornady still publish a new handloading manual every few years?

John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
That would be my concern..it`s on a box, not in a Manual, that has years of history behind it. And in working with the general public for many years, seeing first hand what people will do for a buck,my faith in human nature has kinda wore thin.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Uh, the load on the box is the same load in the #10 manual. They just back off the OAL by 0.010".

If someone can't put that recipe together and manage to keep all their fingers attached, then perhaps they should switch to baking something else...

Last edited by Puddle; 11/19/20.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Another good point about CGPAUL's not-so-insightful post.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
From what I read putting the load recipe on the box was one of the stipulations for development. The criteria for the load was asked to a known LR shooter. That was one of the suggestions. I can't find the article.

When Dennis DeMille (at that time GM of Creedmoor Sports) and Dave Emary (Engineer with Hornady) got to talking during downtime at Camp Perry during Highpower week, Dennis outlined his criteria for the ideal highpower rifle cartridge. One of his criteria was accurate long range match ammo with the load printed on the box. Emary took this to heart and Hornady produced the ammo with load recipe's. The scuttlebut in the highpower community at the time was that it was the "real" load recipe. I don't know why they discontinued the practice...but perhaps there's truth to the assertion that the ammo is now loaded with non-cannister grade powders that for us ordinary folk is unobtanium.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 53 invisible), 2,498 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,474
Posts18,471,489
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.