Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've been buying classic rifles for years and have only one synthetic stocked rifle in the vault (a SAKO L61R .270 that I put a McMillan stock on about 30 years ago because at the time it was my only big game rifle and I didn't like how beat up the walnut stock was becoming). My two primary big game rifles are a 1950s Savage 99 in .300 Savage and a Remington Model 725 (which I still think is the handsomest factory production rifle Remington ever made) in .280. I have one stainless steel rifle (a Ruger No. 1 in .223). All of my .22s and all of my shotguns are blued steel and walnut.

There's a utility to plastic and stainless, but I hunt for pleasure and to be outdoors and part of the pleasure is having something that gives me a warm feeling when I look at it. Stainless and plastic just don't do that for me.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jorge,

While synthetic stocks have been around for close to century (Bakelite was an early material), the development of what are known as "lay-up" stocks, made of various synthetic fibers bonded with epoxy, took place in benchrest shooting in the 1960s. This was due to the desire for more stable AND lighter stocks, so more weight could go into barrels, scopes, etc., resulting in better accuracy

The lay-up developments eventually moved into hunting, due to the desires of many mountain hunters for lighter weight, plus stability and strength--and the ability to use "standard" length and weight barrels, instead of the short, skinny barrels often used on lightweight "classic" rifles. This resulted in lighter rifles that balanced better, and shot very accurately.

Which is why some major manufacturers started putting lay-ups on factory rifles, as I recall in the late 70s and early 80s. But they did not cost less than walnut-stocked rifles. Instead they cost more, because lay-ups require more time in manufacturing, and some of the materials, such as Kevlar, can be relatively costly as well.

The reason a lot of synthetic-stocked factory rifles cost less and often weigh close to the same as walnut-stocked rifles is faster, cheaper methods of making synthetic stocks, particularly injection-molding--which in a way is similar to the increasing use of hammer-forged barrels by American companies. The initial tooling for both injection-molded stocks and hammer-forged barrels is very expensive, but after that both stocks and barrels can be cranked out quicker and cheaper than more traditional methods.

One early maker of injection-molded stocks was Bill Heckerman of Belgrade, Montana, who developed Butler Creek stocks for various factory rifles in the 1980s. He told me back then that the initial molds cost around $250,000, but after that stocks could be cranked out for about $7 apiece. However, they did NOT weigh any less than the same basic shape of stock made out of plain-grade walnut, so weren't intended to reduce weight of the overall rifles. Same deal with Ramline stocks, another early IM stock. Instead both Butler Creek and Ramline stocks were intended as cheaper, more rugged alternatives to cheap walnut stocks--partly because the price of walnut was not going down.

Both hammer-forging and injection-molding are why companies like Ruger can now make extremely accurate rifles that sell for relatively little money. But they were never intended to be significantly lighter in weight, as lighter synthetic stocks still cost more.

This is one reason custom lightweight synthetic-stocked rifles tend to cost considerably more than the fewer "classic" factory rifles being made today. So a lot depends on what kind of rifle we're talking about, whether synthetic- or wood-stocked.

One more recent trend in "classic" hunting rifles is limited production models, because demand simply isn't enough to make them regular items--but some hunters will pay somewhat more for them, especially if they're chambered in "classic" cartridges. I'm kind of a sucker for these myself, but almost by definition they're not selling like everyday synthetic-stocked rifles.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I remember years ago when I saw my first synthetic rifle, It was a Steyr "Professional" or some such name. I said to myself, man, that will never sell. And boy was I wrong! I'm with you on the wood/blue stuff though

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I always keep a couple of walnut/blued rifles that I enjoy looking at whole I'm hunting, but I also keep a couple that I can beat on and bring in and out of our humid climate down here in LA. I like being able to come in with an SS/Syn or laminate rifle and not worry so much about it sweating, or needing to go wipe off all the fingerprints on the blued steel. I'd expect a blued barreled action in a decent walnut stock to cost slightly more that a stainless barreled action in an injection molded handle, but not a lot more. If the wood is something special, then I'd expect it to be 30-50% more.

Now with even more aplomb
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I think that as the population becomes more and more urban centered there will be fewer and fewer shooting sports enthusiasts, so tens of thousands of classic firearms will hit the market when current owners retire/downsize/pass and their children are more interested in cash than in old guns. Back in the late 1980's I bought a lot of rifles from a dealer in Plastow, NH, who bought most of his inventory from older people from northern MA who were downsizing before heading toward retiriement in one of our southern states.

I like to look at rifles with blued CM metal and walnut stocks, but mostly hunt with rifles that have laminated or synthetic stocks installed.

Jeff,

That's already happening, not just because of older hunters/shooters retiring or passing away, but due to other countries passing harsher gun-control laws. This isn't as universal as some Americans think, but it's happening enough that many classic guns are being exported to the U.S., which of course adds to the supply.

Out of curiosity, I just took stock of my own collection, and found that 67% are classics, ranging from the oldest (a first-year .50-70 Springfield conversion) to one of this year's additions, a Ruger No. 1B .270 Winchester that was incredibly custom-stocked in spectacular walnut--though there's no indication who.

The 33% that at synthetic-stocked range from a relative few that I use for some kinds of hunting, to "cheap" (but accurate) rifles purchased because of their chambering, so I could do handloading articles. Once I've done as many of those articles as my markets will allow, then they're sent on down the road. A good example was the most recent sell-off was a Ruger American Predator in 6mm Creedmoor. Probably 3/4 of my synthetic-stocked rifles are "temps."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
John - Interesting as always. I'm a wood and blue guy but I have one MRC.257 Roberts for really crappy conditions. It weighs about the same as my others but fills a need.

I wonder like so many things it's simply a cycle? Like other recreational pursuits there always seems to be a "next big thing" but a lot of times that appears to be a "big thing" from some time ago. As an example, retro-restorations in classic cars. They seem to have skipped a generation of car enthusiasts but the younger crowd loves them now.

Will coming generations come to value rifles "like Dad used" No idea.

I kind of wonder about shooting competitions too. The rage today with 3 gun and such is great that it's getting people into the shooting sports but I suspect that it will eventually be replaced by something. I really enjoy small-bore silhouette and our local competitions seem to have some new blood showing up. Perhaps all things will be new again.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pugs

Will coming generations come to value rifles "like Dad used" No idea.

I can tell you this much personally; in my dotage, I find myself going more and more to "traditional" (oldshit) such as levers, iron sights, etc., so you definitively have a good point there Pugs.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by DeoVindice
A thing of the past? No, but they're lacking in practicality. I'm not knocking around a classic blued-and-walnut rifle in the truck, backcountry, or underground. I don't feel bad about beating up a matte/polymer rifle or shotgun.

That's true, but most folks don't knock around their stainless polymer guns either. smile

Entirely fair. If I'm carrying a weapon while working (climbing waste dumps, shimmying into old workings, hand-mining ore samples, etc.) it tends to get banged up. I'll happily admit to carrying an old S&W revolver while mining - the old ways aren't dead yet.

Originally Posted by Dutch

For sure, my farm and truck guns are all either disposable junk or ss/synthetic.

My upland shotgun was completely redone when I bought it, including re-cut checkering, re blued barrels and re-colorcase hardened the side plates. If I shot waterfowl, the gun would be stainless synthetic.

Horses for courses....

Makes perfect sense to me.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The last 5 blued CM and walnut rifles that I purchased were all chambered for low sales volume classic cartridges; 22 Hornet, 250-3000, 257 Roberts, 6.5x53R, and 7x57. I have found that, on occasion, rifles chambered for low sales volume classic cartridges can be purchased for a significant discount because the ammo is hard to find. I bought the 6.5x53R because it was assembled by a big name London gun maker and it was too cheap at $475 not to buy. I never intend to shoot it, but how often do you run across a rifle made by W.J. Jeffery, much less one that left the building for $475? I know, it was a blind hog and truffles sort of find, but a find is a find is a find.

The last 5 utilitarian rifles that I purchased all have synthetic stocks and matte blued CM, Cerakoted CM, or stainless metal. 2 of the 5 were Savage Axis that Wal-Mart was selling for $125 per unit. I'm not a fan of the Savage Axis and think that they are to the rifle world what Harbor Freight tools are to the tool world, but they work and they are so inexpensive as to be virtually disposable.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I think that as the population becomes more and more urban centered there will be fewer and fewer shooting sports enthusiasts, so tens of thousands of classic firearms will hit the market when current owners retire/downsize/pass and their children are more interested in cash than in old guns. Back in the late 1980's I bought a lot of rifles from a dealer in Plastow, NH, who bought most of his inventory from older people from northern MA who were downsizing before heading toward retiriement in one of our southern states.

I like to look at rifles with blued CM metal and walnut stocks, but mostly hunt with rifles that have laminated or synthetic stocks installed.

Jeff,

That's already happening, not just because of older hunters/shooters retiring or passing away, but due to other countries passing harsher gun-control laws. This isn't as universal as some Americans think, but it's happening enough that many classic guns are being exported to the U.S., which of course adds to the supply.

Out of curiosity, I just took stock of my own collection, and found that 67% are classics, ranging from the oldest (a first-year .50-70 Springfield conversion) to one of this year's additions, a Ruger No. 1B .270 Winchester that was incredibly custom-stocked in spectacular walnut--though there's no indication who.

The 33% that at synthetic-stocked range from a relative few that I use for some kinds of hunting, to "cheap" (but accurate) rifles purchased because of their chambering, so I could do handloading articles. Once I've done as many of those articles as my markets will allow, then they're sent on down the road. A good example was the most recent sell-off was a Ruger American Predator in 6mm Creedmoor. Probably 3/4 of my synthetic-stocked rifles are "temps."

The W.J. Jeffery Steyr Mannlicher is a European import, but thankfully doesn't have any import marks, so it must have been floating around in the U.S. for a few years. It came with 3 full boxes, 1 partial box, and 1 box of fired cases, all Norma factory ammo in the old woodgrain and red boxes. I bought it from the estate of a USAF Colonel who spent half of his 33 years stationed in Germany and the UK.

I very seldom sell firearms, so if they come, they are much more likely to stay than to leave. I did sell the Savage Axis rifles that I bought for $125ish to a friend who will likely give or sell them to someone in his large extended family.

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
I shot 2 deer 5 seconds apart last monday morning with my lightweight hva 270 but I still walked out to get my game kart and got them out 1 at a time was that against the rules btailhunter? And if I may ask who gave you the right to make the rules? With a bum right knee right now I am glad I'm still able to go. What your rifle weighs is up to the individual carrying it. Magnum Bob

No one has ever suggested that you are not a pussy.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by BtailHunter
I sure hope none of you lie dying in your bed, wondering where the 'classics' went.

It's all stuff.

That's true, but I won't be on my death bed wishing I'd have used them more. smile

I took a nice custom rifle on a moose hunt this year. It was the 1st time I've hunted it since getting it back from the builder. The 1st day out, I got it soaked in the rain.

I'll check back on your death bed.

That said, a factory wood stock is a bit different than a custom, but carry on

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I'm sure as I get older and weaker a rifle's weight might be an issue. Then again, that'd why Gun bearers were invented smile . Seriously, I didn't have an issue going up and down some pretty steep hills in Africa with "heavy" rifles. I've only hunted out west twice (Wyoming where it was pretty flat but at altitude) and in Idaho where it was high and steep and didn't do too badly. Then again, some synthetic stocked rifles can be even heavier, but the point of lighter rifles is most definitively a valid one.

Did you pack out any of the game you killed in Wyoming and Idaho? Or were you on guided hunts where getting the game out was primarily the responsibility of the outfitter?

I started using lighter rifles around 40, not because I wasn't in shape (have worked out in various ways constantly long before then) but because a lighter rifle/pack/body not only allowed me to hunt longer and harder, but when I killed something on a hunt where I was responsible for getting it out, any reduction in the overall load helped. Just did it the other day, after killing a mule deer in steep breaks-type country. The pack wasn't all that far, but it was very much up-and-down.

Rhetorical question smile ? Still. I've "packed out" smallshit like deer in the PA mountains (yeah I know "hills" to you Monrana supermen) and hogs/deer out of the swamps and thickets here in the south and frankly, I don't think it would matter. Now if I was packing out for a long haul with everything on my back where every ounce counts, I can obviously see the advantages of lighter weight fire arms, but the Synstheric Weatherbys I've owned were no lighter than my wood stocked ones and my son's McMillan stocked 06 Vanguard I just don't see the issue with a few extra ounces.

Likely because you've never really had to pack stuff. I bet there are few times you weren't within shouting distance of something with wheels or someone to do it for you.

You must be either psychic, or a woman to guess what I've done or haven't. THat said, Can't argue with that. In PA the farthest I had to pack out a puny 150lb deer was about two miles. Here in Georgia maybe a thousand yards to a road, but the swamp can kick one's ass. Still, we are getting away from the topic at hand, aren't we?

In short, you haven't the first clue how to cut one up and put into a backpack. I doubt you've done half that, alone.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DeoVindice
Originally Posted by oldpinecricker
Im your opinion are classic wood stock rifles a thing of the past. I ask this because im a left hand user wanting to have a few more Ruger Hawkeye lefty rifles and they are nowhere to be found.

Im all albout the new plastic stock rifles and newer materials and was an early adopter of them before they became really popular but i also desire my wood and classic Ruger 77 Hawkeye as well. Will these be just a memorybof the past in our near future? Also the prices of things are scary.

The number of shooters appears to be growing healthily with the population, but an increasing proportion are primarily or solely interested in guns for personal protection.

Can you blame them?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm sure as I get older and weaker a rifle's weight might be an issue. Then again, that'd why Gun bearers were invented smile . Seriously, I didn't have an issue going up and down some pretty steep hills in Africa with "heavy" rifles. I've only hunted out west twice (Wyoming where it was pretty flat but at altitude) and in Idaho where it was high and steep and didn't do too badly. Then again, some synthetic stocked rifles can be even heavier, but the point of lighter rifles is most definitively a valid one.

Did you pack out any of the game you killed in Wyoming and Idaho? Or were you on guided hunts where getting the game out was primarily the responsibility of the outfitter?

I started using lighter rifles around 40, not because I wasn't in shape (have worked out in various ways constantly long before then) but because a lighter rifle/pack/body not only allowed me to hunt longer and harder, but when I killed something on a hunt where I was responsible for getting it out, any reduction in the overall load helped. Just did it the other day, after killing a mule deer in steep breaks-type country. The pack wasn't all that far, but it was very much up-and-down.

Rhetorical question smile ? Still. I've "packed out" smallshit like deer in the PA mountains (yeah I know "hills" to you Monrana supermen) and hogs/deer out of the swamps and thickets here in the south and frankly, I don't think it would matter. Now if I was packing out for a long haul with everything on my back where every ounce counts, I can obviously see the advantages of lighter weight fire arms, but the Synstheric Weatherbys I've owned were no lighter than my wood stocked ones and my son's McMillan stocked 06 Vanguard I just don't see the issue with a few extra ounces.

Likely because you've never really had to pack stuff. I bet there are few times you weren't within shouting distance of something with wheels or someone to do it for you.

You must be either psychic, or a woman to guess what I've done or haven't. THat said, Can't argue with that. In PA the farthest I had to pack out a puny 150lb deer was about two miles. Here in Georgia maybe a thousand yards to a road, but the swamp can kick one's ass. Still, we are getting away from the topic at hand, aren't we?

In short, you haven't the first clue how to cut one up and put into a backpack. I doubt you've done half that, alone.

Steelhead is in all his glory I see.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It's ALL doomed. Search "Seneca Cliff" (or just read the Hemingway quote below and you'll get the picture where we're at now.) Already well into a classic Romanesque collapse cycle, having hit our zenith around the time the quality of 99's started going downhill (not coincidentally), the economic fallout of our response to covid is fast-tracking the demise of our already badly floundering global civilization. It's not impossible we are at the verge of that Seneca Cliff right now. Will firearms still be manufactured at all in the new medieval era we face? I don't much care. I've got 2 really nice 99's i hunt with - a 1950 EG and a 1953 R - and a lovely though heavy classic .375 Holland & Holland (I live in a nest of grizzly bears) so i at least won't be going back to the slingshot, nor will i take up a plastic gun, which is right up there with wearing "crocs" to your wedding. Or wearing them at all, for that matter. Classic rifles are only doomed then if we fail to take care of the millions of them already out there. They'll outlast all of us on here right now. Bad taste in firearms notwithstanding.

“How did you go bankrupt?"
Two ways. Gradually, then suddenly.”

― Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises

Last edited by gulo; 11/19/20.

From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information.
� Edward Abbey

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
"The number of shooters appears to be growing healthily with the population, but an increasing proportion are primarily or solely interested in guns for personal protection."

The other portion of "the shooting sports" that's growing quickly is target shooting, of all kinds.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"The number of shooters appears to be growing healthily with the population, but an increasing proportion are primarily or solely interested in guns for personal protection."

The other portion of "the shooting sports" that's growing quickly is target shooting, of all kinds.

High school trap shooting is alive and well.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I haven't had time to read all posts in this thread but As For Me.... NO

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

^^^^^^ My All Time FAV stock ! Bar NONE.

Kinda Like Classic Pumps too, and Classy !

Does M 98 in 284 W count ?

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I think expensive multi thousand dollar classics like some British made H&H or Rigby rifle will never go out of style. I would be proud to own one, but paranoid about taking it to a gun range where it could be stolen while I'm changing targets downrange.

I personally would rather hunt with a stainless light weight rifle with a TriggerTech trigger and cushy LimbSaver recoil pad.

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

498 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 1badf350, 55 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,282
Posts18,505,117
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.