Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I've seen a few stocks made from Koa...beautiful.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I think stick's pretty funny myself.
So does his family who left him..

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by BillyE
What do you do with so many different rifles? What’s the point?

Best reason ever...because he damned well wants them.

Are you sure you are on the right forum?

Amen.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cluck,

Only YOU,can prevent you,from saying something fhuqking STUPID and I enjoy the Fact,that you can't even come close to "doing" that "much"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Time for you to yet again,fill out another Hurt Feelers Report,as you wax eloquent upon your very WELL founded Insecurities. Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your heart for Crying though.

Hint.

LAUGHING!................

barreldye,

Don't forget,that Crying Karens will ALWAYS find fhuqking something to Cry about and most often their pay check. Hint.

LAUGHING!.................

'STUART,

I just never learned how to linger. Hint.

CryLee is a rather "lucky" kchunt and her tears are HILARIOUSLY heartfelt. Hint.

Bless her poor poor(literally) heart.

Hint.

'F,

I've only murdered King Koa's. Hint.

LAUGHING!..................

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

boobie,

How goes your TRYING to "convince" yourself,that you "don't care"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart,for doing your best,with what INCREDIBLY fhuqking little you "have" to "work" with.

Hint.

AKlaverne,

Don't be too tough on her,just be sure to ask her what she "does" for a "living",which mandates her "living" vicariously in such grandiose fashion...the "lucky" kchunt. Hint.

Only "fair",to keep her tears flowin'. Hint.

LAUGHING!...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
It wasn’t a criticism. It was a question. I don’t have any desire to have two dozen similar rifles, so I thought there might be more to the story. But I guess not. I don’t give a [bleep] if he has a thousand. It was just a question. Damn you people are sensitive.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
CryLee,

You haven't the "means","abilities" or "comprehension" to "do" anything other than Whine and it's FUNNIER than fhuqk,that you "think" that is a "choice"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You take sensitivity to new levels,if only due your INCREDIBLY long list of very WELL founded Insecurities. Read that again. now one more time. Hint. LAUGHING!

Might I suggest,that you keep TRYING to "convince" yourself,that you "don't care",you HILARIOUSLY Whining Clueless Fhuqktard. Hint. Laughing!

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

LAUGHING!

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart,for doing your BEST.

Hint.

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Big Stick
CryLee,

You haven't the "means","abilities" or "comprehension" to "do" anything other than Whine and it's FUNNIER than fhuqk,that you "think" that is a "choice"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You take sensitivity to new levels,if only due your INCREDIBLY long list of very WELL founded Insecurities. Read that again. now one more time. Hint. LAUGHING!

Might I suggest,that you keep TRYING to "convince" yourself,that you "don't care",you HILARIOUSLY Whining Clueless Fhuqktard. Hint. Laughing!

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

LAUGHING!

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart,for doing your BEST.

Hint.

I’m not perfect, but finances are not a weakness for me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Ripping Koa

[Linked Image]

Koa glued and pinned

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BillyE

I’m not perfect, but finances are not a weakness for me.

They are for me, otherwise I would be shopping at Dorleac and Dorleac.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice work Clark!
Even straight grained, koa can be beautiful with contrasting stripes. ...but if you ever see a curly piece properly sawn and finished...my god, the wood looks like it has a living fire inside it. Of course pieces like that go for $150 a board foot and up.

I'm coming full circle now. Last summer, my son did a project collecting koa seed, growing them to seedling and outplanting to reforest. I've still got about 50 seedlings in my backyard!

...apologies to the OP for my tangent. Carry on folks.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by beretzs
My opinion is I zero most all of my long guns from 223 up to 375 at around 250 yards. Gives me a 0-300 yard no brainer shoot without having to think. In my little brain, once they cross the 300 yard mark, it only takes me a 1/2 a second to reference a range card or a tape on the turret to put the round as on point as I can shoot. I just naturally shoot better and faster if I use the main center of the reticle, maybe using a windage mark or two if wind is a thing. Some folks like using a reticle for holdover and if it works, then I'd say stick with it, but I don't generally waste a bunch of time dialing a mil or whatever and getting to aiming the rifle. It is reassuring to me the rifle will put the round exactly where I tell it to at any yardage if my zero and atmospherics are good.

The 3x9 is simply a fantastic hunting scope in my opinion. Honestly with the turret tapes like DF uses you really only need a dope chart to access if you're dealing with wind.

For hunting, I'm not a dialer. I use a .257 Weatherby mag sighted in at 300 yards. Drop at 400 is 8 inches, so for that distance I would hold the crosshair right on an animal's back. In the heat of hunting, with an adrenalin rush, there is no time to think about much except finding the animal in your scope. If over 400 yards I won't take the shot. That is really specialty stuff. But a ballistic reticle would seem better to me than dialing for over 400 yards if you understand your markings.

Even for a 400 yard shot there is most times no need for holdover if the animal is elevated above or below you, a situation that happens quite often. In this situation, if you aim at the top of the back, you will shoot over the animal.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mrmarklin

For hunting, I'm not a dialer...... <snip>...... In this situation, if you aim at the top of the back, you will shoot over the animal.

Your conclusion makes an excellent case for dialing, or holding in a MRAD or Mildot Ret, your ACTUAL dope. No guesswork or approximations involved.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Wrongside

For hunting, I'm not a dialer...... <snip>...... In this situation, if you aim at the top of the back, you will shoot over the animal.

Your conclusion makes an excellent case for dialing, or holding in a MRAD or Mildot Ret, your ACTUAL dope. No guesswork or approximations involved.

Agreed on the dialing/holding verified DOPE, but it’d take a lot of shooting at various distances and inclination/declination angles to get DOPE for every possible combination. That’s one place where ballistic solvers do a very good job, once you’ve got good DOPE on flat ground, since it’s a simple and accurate calculation to take the cosine of the inclination angle.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Yes, my Leica 1600-B does a very good job with those angles, giving me a solution in yrds, which I dial on my scope. I always shoot to verify. Very nice system, directions for set up are reasonably easy to use..even for an old fart like me.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Yes, my Leica 1600-B does a very good job with those angles, giving me a solution in yrds, which I dial on my scope. I always shoot to verify. Very nice system, directions for set up are reasonably easy to use..even for an old fart like me.

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
If over 400 yards I won't take the shot.

Normally I’d agree, but the guide has told me that shots could be 400 yards or a bit beyond, so I’m preparing for that.

In the heat of hunting, with an adrenalin rush, there is no time to think about much except finding the animal in your scope.

I occasionally have this problem when the range is 30-40 yards and I have 2-3 seconds to shoot, which is common when still-hunting blacktails. At 100-150 yards I may have 5-6 seconds but I use that time for mechanics: getting into a sling, building a solid position, etc. I spend a LOT of the pre-season getting to where I can do that stuff without thinking so I’m free to focus on the shot itself. When the crosshairs settle on the animal, I want my mind to be empty except for the crosshairs and the feeling of the trigger under my finger.

But a ballistic reticle would seem better to me than dialing for over 400 yards if you understand your markings.

I’ve gotten hits a bit beyond 400 by holding over and hits out to 800 by dialing, although my dialing experience is close to three decades old. I’m looking for the line where it makes sense to start dialing. Based on the responses to this thread, it looks like that's at MPBR, or about 300 yards for a 30-06/180, which is what I'm using for this hunt.

Even for a 400 yard shot there is most times no need for holdover if the animal is elevated above or below you, a situation that happens quite often. In this situation, if you aim at the top of the back, you will shoot over the animal.

I’ve hunted this area extensively. I fully expect a significant difference in elevation between me and my target. Shooting over—or any other lack of precision that could result in a wounded or lost animal—is exactly what I’m trying to avoid.

Looks like I'll be dialing.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The "Over or Under" shooting of a target at significant elevation difference should not be an issue if using a good compensating laser range finder......

My RF does the math for me and compensates for the angle, whether bow or rifle hunting.
So, for me again... it's dial time for anything past my PBR.

If there isn't time to range a target before it gets away, there's little doubt that you really have time for much more than a WAG and a hold over or painting with a mil or moa reticle....imo of course.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

16 pages and no discussion of the Burris Eliminator approach? Built in range finder, on-board ballistics calculator, red dot lights up telling you where to aim. Seems like the perfect solution. There must be something wrong with it or folks that obsess with LR shooting/hunting would be all over it like Stick on 6x42 Super Chickens.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
The "Over or Under" shooting of a target at significant elevation difference should not be an issue if using a good compensating laser range finder......

My RF does the math for me and compensates for the angle, whether bow or rifle hunting.
So, for me again... it's dial time for anything past my PBR.

If there isn't time to range a target before it gets away, there's little doubt that you really have time for much more than a WAG and a hold over or painting with a mil or moa reticle....imo of course.

My thoughts exactly and chances are if it’s that far it’d be a heckuva time to get a stable position and make sure the animal was where I could get to it and find it post shot.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by Wrongside

Agreed on the dialing/holding verified DOPE, but it’d take a lot of shooting at various distances and inclination/declination angles to get DOPE for every possible combination. That’s one place where ballistic solvers do a very good job, once you’ve got good DOPE on flat ground, since it’s a simple and accurate calculation to take the cosine of the inclination angle.

My HD-B's compensate for angle. Paired with a RZ6 or RZ8 depending on the gun I have had no problems hitting targets out to 600 yards.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (163bc, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 68 invisible), 2,594 guests, and 1,345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,621
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.