Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
For the last month I have been receiving one to four texts per day on my cell phone. Fill out this customer satisfaction survey and you have two minutes to send us your bank info to transfer $1 for S&H, then we will send you a new I phone, or Apple table, or.........

Or it is an apology from Amazon and they want to send me $400 credit, just give us your bank info.
Or any number of other back stories. But they all ask for a bank transfer of $1.

Each time the I block the number on my cell phone. But their random number generator has billions of options, some of them actually belonging to my neighbors.

Last week I got one about my SS account is going to be locked. I played along until a live person came on the phone. "This is John at Social Security. What can we do for you today?"

I answered, "You tell me, you called ME."...........All I heard was a click.

My personal best was the guy telling me he needed me to turn on my computer so he could fix my Win Op System. I was on the hiway on my way home from work. I managed to keep him on the phone for over twenty minutes as "I am almost there, I will get the computer turned on in just a minute." The guy finally figured out he was being played and cursed at me then hung up.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Someone tried that same scam with some close friends. They didn’t fall for it, but it did cause them some worries until they contacted their family members.
I’ve had the Social Security Office threaten to shut down my SSN due to some kind of suspicious activity four or five times in the past 6 months! Funny how nobody there really speaks English very well and has a thick Indian accent! You think they’d hire Americans first! grin
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I get calls from a computer with a woman's voice speaking chinese.

I get calls from a computer with a woman's voice speaking English.

I get calls where I answer, say, "Hello." there is a delay and then someone gets on who cannot pronounce my name.

Then there is some guy in India who wants to help me fix my computer. He says he represents Microsoft.

I had a relative call up to wish me happy birthday, but had been drinking, cussed me out and hung up.

I get calls from my grandkids when they swipe their parent's phone. They want me to make them some toys.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Had a call........... 'We'll be in your neighborhood, and would like to show you how you can save 30% on your auto insurance'

ME: OK, Come on over.

Them: 'Great, can I have your address'

ME: 'If you don't know my address how do you know that you will be in my neighborhood?????'

Them: ' We're everywhere'

ME: 'Tell me, how much do I pay now for my insurance?'

Them: 'That's on your statement'

ME: 'I know, AND I know how much I pay............ If YOU don't know how much I pay, how do you know you can save me %30?????'

Them: SILENCE

ME: 'You've lied to me twice so goodby................

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
They can be bold, once he realized I was dicken with him, had one threaten to come to my house with an AK, he also knew my name and city........ kept him on for a few minutes and every so often he would just say BOOM........... probably 'cause I kept insisting that he speak to me in real English not that 'Pakistani - Farsi' crap.................

Reported this one to the FEDs............. they never called me back.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Scammers are scum of the earth. Pretty easy to flush them out

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
NEVER call any number they give you. One of the scams uses numbers that automatically charge hundreds of dollars when called. And the phone company will not take those charges off your bill because you did actually make that call.

You can no longer rely on "known" numbers because they spoof the number they're calling from. I once got a call from my OWN number.

On our land line, I installed a CPR Call Blocker V5000 device. It comes with a preloaded list of 10,000 known scam numbers, and allows me to instantly block 5,000 more with the click of a button. I'm up to 316 now. Calls from truly odd area codes I block without answering. Ones that just might be legit I answer, and if it turns out to be bogus, I just press that big red BLOCK NOW button. Once blocked, if that number ever calls again, the device simulates a dead number on my end after the first ring.

(If I accidentally block the number of a friend - which I have done - I can go back and unblock.)

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was sitting at my desk in the office on time when the "electric company" called to tell me they were at my house to turn of the electricity.

Hmmm, peek out the window. Nothing.

"I've always wanted to know, what is it like to be a liar and a thief?"

Why would you say that, I'm from the electric company

"no, you're not. You're a crook. What do you tell you children when you go home at night? Daddy was such a GREAT cheat and crook today, you should be proud?"

(feebly) Sir, we are going to cut of your electricity......

"no, you're not. I wonder, when you go to your Grandmother's house for her birthday, what do you tell her? "Grandma, I'm such a great thief and a liar, I am everything you've ever dreamed I would be..?"

I kept this up for a good 10 minutes, until he finally hung up on me. If just one of these loser call center creeps walks out on the job because of me messing with him,, it'll maybe slow them down just a wee bit.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jmh3
Got one the other day claiming to be ATF or DEA, I don’t remember. Anyhow, apparently my personal information was used to pay for a rental car that was found along the border full of drugs, blood, and illegal guns. The only way to clear up the problem was to buy Target gift cards and read them the numbers over the phone. I was driving home from Illinois so I played along for over an hour. I talked to four different people who were supposedly from different federal agencies, one of which was supposedly a supervisor. All gave callback numbers, and the one I tried worked. I’m not sure how anyone would believe that the Feds are taking target gift cards as payment, but they obviously do. I checked it out online and it is one of the most successful scams currently being run. Obviously the elderly make up the bulk of their victims.

https://thehustle.co/blood-drugs-and-an-abandoned-car-how-my-dad-got-scammed/

There is a special place in hell for these [bleep].

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You really want to chap a scammers butt, tell him Jesus loves him and mean it.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Call from a guy who says my computer is causing problems in Florida. I know it’s a scam, but play along in order to waste his time. Says that he can fix it, but I have to log onto my computer and go to special web address. That’s were I refuse because I know that web pages can load viruses onto your computer.

[Linked Image from ]
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

IF you do happen to answer a call and it turns out to be from a live telemarketer or scam caller, your only response, if any, should be that this number is on the "Do Not Call List", therefore you obviously have no regard for obeying laws, so what ever your purpose for calling me is, you aren't to be trusted, and then hang up.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, that'll show them all right.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
The current scam going around in my parts is a non-official number calling you up to say your Social Security is locked up due to fraud, and prosecution is about to commence. However, if you call the number listed, they will generously expedite your case.

If my SS were compromised...my Identity fraud protection would have notified my post haste.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Muffin
They can be bold, once he realized I was dicken with him, had one threaten to come to my house with an AK, he also knew my name and city........ kept him on for a few minutes and every so often he would just say BOOM........... probably 'cause I kept insisting that he speak to me in real English not that 'Pakistani - Farsi' crap.................

Reported this one to the FEDs............. they never called me back.

Be tempted to tell that one "Great, I ain't been in a good gun fight in over a week!"

The ones I like ask me if I have my computer on. In my best shaky old man voice (which is getting far to easy!), I tell them "No, I'm out in the yard. Can you hold while I go in an turn it on?" That is good for at least 5 minutes. Then when then tell me to hit the "Windows key", I have to look for another few to find that, asking them "Is that the one with four colors that looks kinda like a flag? (very old Windows symbol.)" More time looking. Then tell them "Oh! I remember! That was on my old computer. This one's a Mac."

Success is when they cuss you.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Comcast mobile phone has a new feature that filters out scam calls.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You should check out this website:

https://www.419eater.com

Welcome to the world of Scambaiting!

Get the latest Anti Fraud News and Information here.
Does somebody want to transfer millions of dollars into your account?
Does someone want to pay you to cash cheques and send them the money?
Met a new friend/penpal on a friendship/dating site who's asking you for money?
Has a dying person contacted you wanting your help to give his money to charity?
Have you sold an item and are asked to accept a payment larger than the item amount?

IT'S A SCAM!

Don't fall for common scams like this - fight them!

So what is scambaiting? Well, put simply, you enter into a dialogue with scammers, simply to waste their time and resources. Whilst you are doing this, you will be helping to keep the scammers away from real potential victims and screwing around with the minds of deserving thieves.

It doesn't matter if you are new to this sport or a hardened veteran; if you are wasting the time of a scammer, or frustrating them in any way well that's good enough for us, and we would welcome you to join with our now very large community.

Although this site concentrates mainly on the Nigerian 419 scam, we are happy to deal with other types of scams if and when the opportunity arises. We also have a large team of experts dedicated to the removal and closure of fake scammer banks and sites.

Even if you are a newcomer, much fun can be had and at the same time you will be doing a public service. If you are new to this game and need to know what scambaiting is all about, please click on the 419 FAQ link at the top of the page. See also Baiting Tips for information on getting started on this great cyber-sport

We encourage everyone to contribute to this site and the good cause of scambaiting by joining in the fun on the FORUM where you can meet new friends and seek expert help, tips and advice on anti-scamming. User participation is absolutely encouraged. Please help us to raise awareness the world over!

Do not be fooled into thinking scammers operate from a specific part of the world. Advance fee fraud scammers are a world-wide menace, and they operate from every continent. These scammers range from small one-man-band criminals scamming a few thousand dollars a year, to highly organised groups raking in hundreds of thousands of dollars a month.

[Linked Image from ]
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

437 members (007FJ, 22kHornet, 160user, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 222ND, 37 invisible), 2,143 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,392
Posts18,469,896
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.