-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great conversation men. I'll continue to read with ears wide open.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
When I mention ballistic reticles I’m referring to reticles such as the Leupy dots or B&C, Burris’s reticle on the FF II’s or the Maven reticle.

The reticles with a few dozen hash marks on them are plumb confusing.....

They are only confusing to those that won't take the time to learn how to use them correctly. If you really want to be successful at hitting targets well beyond maximum point blank range learn to dial and make full use of a MIL or MOA reticle as it was intended.

If you don't wish to shoot further than MPBR, that's also fine. But BDC's are a very poor substitute to actually knowing what your bullets are doing at long range.

IMHO and YMMV

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I've found ballistic reticles to be a good tool for shots beyond PBR. If you get the data right, the charts are so close as to make shots to well past 400 a snap. I've only ever been about 1/4 MOA off on shots on animals using a ballistic reticle.

Dialing isn't my thing. I tried it, and for hunting, I don't like it. For one thing, taking my eyes off the animals to dick with my scope dope isn't good.

You have to take your eyes off the animal when you pull your LRF up to your eye, or when you glass the critter with a bino or spotter, anyway. I would wager that finding the animal in the RF bino and then ranging it at the same time, dialing the DOPE into the ele. turret, and getting on the scope holding center crosshair is faster than finding, ranging, and then trying to decide which part of the reticle to hold on the POA. I've seen it many times in the hunting fields and in competition. Holding center crosshair avoids the visual confusion of trying to decide which hashmark to use. Add wind into the equation, and things only get worse for the guy using holdover.

But if your system works for you, carry on!

I see what you are saying, and I said before that I can see where it could be ideal, such as in a situation like you described.

How hard is it to look at the crosshair and put it where the bullet it supposed to go? Just as easy as it is to put some other part of the reticle where it is supposed to go. How is that confusing? Maybe you should try using a ballistic reticle. They are all I use on rifles designed to shoot past a couple hundred yards. I save the dialing for non-hunting shooting.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
When I mention ballistic reticles I’m referring to reticles such as the Leupy dots or B&C, Burris’s reticle on the FF II’s or the Maven reticle.

The reticles with a few dozen hash marks on them are plumb confusing.....

Takes extra time to figure out your "guess", too, if the range is in-between dots. Either way, compared to holding center reticle there is time spent looking at the reticle deciding where to hold, if using holdover.

Bottom line is, the time that passes between spotting an animal and killing it is comparable between holding and dialing, and dialing is more precise. Out to PBR holding center mass works. Beyond that, it's time to dial.

I will agree with bsa1917hunter that you have to be familiar and proficient with your gear, regardless. If using a system doesn't work well for a guy because he's unfamiliar or awkward with it, is not the fault of the system and says nothing about its inherent effectiveness.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There's NO fhuqking need to reiterate what I CLEARLY stated,in regards to Dog Schit haphazard "dots",the HILARIOUS B&C Goat Fhuqk and ALL things Burris and especially Maven. That WAS my fhuqking point. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

If only in the interest of Accuracy and re-punned,this is what I said,mainly because it's a fhuqking FACT. Hint. LAUGHING!

"Ballistic" Reticles are non-lineal pieces of fhuqking schit,which don't even jive their own erector's,which is funnier than fhuqk,though Drooltards swoon 'em. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint."

Cite any/all words that are "too big" or "too Technical". Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

I reckon a Clock Face is "confusing" too? Hint. LAUGHING!

Lineal reticle graduations which jive the erector,is without fhuqking peer. Full stop,end of fhuqking Story. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

Of course you CLUELESS Fhuqktards are trying to align your retardation with a SFP Variable to boot,which is funnier than fhuqk! Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

1000 words. Hint.

Down and dirty DOPE in an ocular,including Beaver DOPE. Obviously,finer distance graduations are broken down and affixed EVERY fhuqking stock(along with Base 10 full value wind). The objective cap states zero range,how high at 100yds to align same and the erector travel from zero to the limitis of the erector. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Due sight height requisite,Krunchentickers are greater offenders for Beaver Dope and a 6 Mil 10yd correction,being standard fare,if only as an example. Down and dirty Ocular DOPE. Hint.

"Oddly" enough,parallax is always scribed at zero range. Hint.

Slow the fhuqk down...read and see the fhuqking light and after a "life' of trying,collect your FIRST Fhuqking Clue.Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

You've been led to fhuqking water.

Hint.

Thank me later...................

Fhuqking EPIC Hilarity!!!!

Now PaulBurnedHard,Skidrow and KchuntShoot are doing their BEST.

You poor poor CLUELESS Fhuqktards...I'm CRYING I'm laughing soooooooooo fhuqking hard!!!!!!

Bless your hearts for TRYING though.

Hint.

LAUGHING!.............

Jordan,

Cat Scratch is doing her BEST,which is of course the only fhuqking reason it's sooooooooo fhuqking HILARIOUS!

Wow +P+++!...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I've found ballistic reticles to be a good tool for shots beyond PBR. If you get the data right, the charts are so close as to make shots to well past 400 a snap. I've only ever been about 1/4 MOA off on shots on animals using a ballistic reticle.

Dialing isn't my thing. I tried it, and for hunting, I don't like it. For one thing, taking my eyes off the animals to dick with my scope dope isn't good.

You have to take your eyes off the animal when you pull your LRF up to your eye, or when you glass the critter with a bino or spotter, anyway. I would wager that finding the animal in the RF bino and then ranging it at the same time, dialing the DOPE into the ele. turret, and getting on the scope holding center crosshair is faster than finding, ranging, and then trying to decide which part of the reticle to hold on the POA. I've seen it many times in the hunting fields and in competition. Holding center crosshair avoids the visual confusion of trying to decide which hashmark to use. Add wind into the equation, and things only get worse for the guy using holdover.

But if your system works for you, carry on!

I see what you are saying, and I said before that I can see where it could be ideal, such as in a situation like you described.

How hard is it to look at the crosshair and put it where the bullet it supposed to go? Just as easy as it is to put some other part of the reticle where it is supposed to go. How is that confusing? Maybe you should try using a ballistic reticle. They are all I use on rifles designed to shoot past a couple hundred yards. I save the dialing for non-hunting shooting.

I spent years and thousands of rounds with ballistic reticles like the Burris BP, Nikon BDC, Zeiss RZ600, Leup LRD, etc. So just to be clear, I'm speaking from experience, not theory. And again, if your way works for you, carry on.

The eye and mind are naturally drawn to the center of the reticle. In contrast, if you have to decide where on the vertical wire to hold (either choosing which hashmark to use or deciding where on the wire in-between two dots to hold), that visual confusion/mental processing takes a bit of time, IME, and it takes as much or more time than spinning the dial to the correct number.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Something like that is about as fast as it gets (25 yrd/m increments don't hurt my feelings, either), though I prefer my ocular caps at 10:30-11:00 when open so I can see my DOPE and turret at the same time without breaking cheek weld or moving the cap. But I can forgive it being at the 12:00. *grin*

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Not my first-choice rifle for the job, but I would sight the SWFA at 200 yards.

If you can hit an 8x10" target *without missing* at 300 yards it will be simple to adjust (dial) to the "400 yards" if THAT is as close as your guide is able to get you.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Once you have learned how easy it is to dial range and have a useful scale to hold wind you will quit being a doubter. Dependable gear like SWFA FFP w/ MQ reticle will make you a better shooter...if you use it enough to learn the advantages. Shooting is fun and shooting better is funner.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
John...sounds like you have a plan, using your equipment before the hunt. You`ve also dialed. I also assume you worked with a spotter? Practice with what you already know. Very easy to build a ballistic drop tape and attach to your scope turret. Easy to dial. I hunt with my son, he and I spot and range for one another when one of us is shooting. If you`re going to be hunting with an outfitter or partner, have them range, you concentrate on the shot.
I burned up most of 100 bullets before my hunt this fall, shooting in different weather conditions and distances so I wouldn`t have to sit and think of what to do when I had a chance at the animal I wanted.

Good luck

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I drive High Noon caps,for more than a few reasons. Firstly,that's where they seal best. Secondly,that's how/where gravity interacts,which greatly promotes their life(been years since I've failed one). Thirdly,most Victims are gonna slide right or left and that precludes interference with blinkers denoting same. Lastly,one has an inner sense that essentially takes over and heeds the Nooner's location,with bumps/bruises,due a turret or two in the larder.(grin) Hint.

Stocks wear the finer 25yd breakdown as mentioned. Except for Rimfires,where it's 10yds and it takes some surface area to paste 700yd+ DOPE.(grin) Hint.

Springers go from 10yd,down to 5yd breaks. Typically,everything is run to the limits of the erector on the platform(or a NASTY Transonic Slip). Rimfires run to that,coupled with the windshield,which is very often 50+ Mil's of DOPE total. Hint.

Comeups are very often colored different,from Base 10 Full Value Wind,for speed/ease. Hint.

Hardly a big fhuqking deal.(grin) Hint.

Forced to speculate,I'd reckon that there's Method to the approach.(grin) Hint.

Not that I don't enjoy Droolers doing their fhuqking BEST.

Hint.

LAUGHING!....................

CluelessJoe,

I've never even seen a fhuqking Bear,or even a 308. Hint.

LAUGHING!

Perhaps extoll more,on your fhuqking HILARIOUS version of "experience" and spare NO fhuqking "details". Dare ya'! Hint. LAUGHING!

You CLUELESS Fhuqks are a hoot!

Hint.

LAUGHING!...................

EZPAULA,

No schit?!? A WHOLE 100 fhuqking rounds?!!?

Wow +P+++!

Now state the particulars of that Hilarious Piece Of Fhuqking Schit and spare NO details!

Hint.

LAUGHING!..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I do not shoot nearly as much as some here, but based on the shooting that I do, I will always dial my SWFA scopes, if past 300 yards. With a 200-yard zero, 300 is a chip shot without dialing, but for the farther distances, the critter that you are hunting generally is not spooked and will give you all the time necessary to dial.

Realistically, most people that hunt don't feel obliged to shoot extreme shots and so dialing is irrelevant for the most part. Same individual probably has no clue as to the actual ballistics of what they are shooting, anyway.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Shadow

They are only confusing to those that won't take the time to learn how to use them correctly. If you really want to be successful at hitting targets well beyond maximum point blank range learn to dial and make full use of a MIL or MOA reticle as it was intended.

If you don't wish to shoot further than MPBR, that's also fine. But BDC's are a very poor substitute to actually knowing what your bullets are doing at long range.

IMHO and YMMV

"Time" is the operative word. Counting hashmarks on a hashmark covered reticle is unnecessary and time consuming out to 500 yds when a simple hunting reticle is just as accurate to that range.

Finding actual drop is simple--just shoot at the bull on a target large enough to record bullet drop. This year's elk (shot at 52 and 54 yds respectively) were killed with a flat shooting 270 cal 160 NPt wink that demonstrated less drop out to 500 yds than every ballistic program I tried. This year's bear was killed at a mind bending 35 paces with the flattest shooting load I have in any of my hunting rifles. Most guys convinced they must have a long range set up that can shoot to a 1000 yds are rarely prepared to shoot quickly under any circumstances or range. As a guide it was frustrating.......

Having hunted plenty of bears via spot and stalk they tend to be foraging about and not posing for a guy while he ranges, waves the Kestral around, bluetoooths up to his phone with barometric pressure, humidity, the aligment of the moon and mars, and dials in a solution that will may result in the bear giving birth to the next generation in the interim......

Finding actual drop via a large piece of paper at 300 and 400 yds respectively will tell the tale, and practicing on 8-12" steel out to 500 yds negates the need for a 20oz hubble size scope with turrets the size of 5 ga buckets.

Then there is the wind--it is pretty much acknowledged the average human being can't estimate range very reliably, but somehow every long range shooter is a master at knowing the direction and speed of the breeze.. Most bears I've ever ran into will be highly intolerant of a guy running out to place wind flags over the entire course........

On these threads we often see shooting at the range conflated with hunting ranges under hunting circumstances.

Now watch, Okie will end up shooting a bear at 150 yds..........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I should also note that not my SHV, my SWFA, my FFII, nor my Leupolds adjust or dial worth a hoot in sub-freezing temps.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You AMAZINGLY Inept CLUELESS Fhuqktards are a HOOT! Read that again. Now one more time. Hint. LAUGHING!

I had a new rifle out the other day,in a new stock. I gunned a 200yd zero and simply zero'd the turret,with a zero stop,which took 30 fhuqking seconds. It had never been shot through a chronograph,but I simply entered a velocity and ran the particulars on the fly. Hint.

From there,I shot at 900yds and simply back calc'd a miserly .2 Mil ele correction,from a velocity speculation and less touching the turret or it's initial zero. I corrected the DOPE and went to 1300yds,on the fhuqking money,in a single shot. Wasn't in a location to shoot to the Transonic Slip of said platform,but simply noted "1300yd confirmed DOPE". Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

Did that somehow "compromise" the 6x MQ for a 10yd shot or a 1000yd shot,or ANY fhuqking stops in between? Not no...but fhuqk NO,you Retarded Window Licking CLUELESS Fhuqks. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

Just what in the fhuqk are you IDIOTS pretending to "count"?!? Here's a 308 with a softball lapooey Litz Skinner,at Low Tide. Pardon a 200yd zero being but .5 mil high at the100yd line and a 400yd shot "consuming" a 1.5 Mil correction,whether erector or reticle applied. How/where do you Fhuqktards get stumped "counting" on a miserly 1.5 Mil correction,looking through the fhuqking scope? Hint. LAUGHING!

That exceedingly modest correction is input in a nano-second,unless your eyes are crossed or your Drool Bib cinched too fhuqking tight. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

The reason you CLUELESS Fhuqktards are stumped by everything,is because you are doing your fhuqking Hilarious BEST! Fascinatingly,Guides are RELIABLY the Dumbest Of Fhuqks when it comes to Ballistics 101. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

What percentage do you gals bat,on getting tapwater inside a glass on the first try? 10%? Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your hearts,for doing your BEST.

Holy Fhuqking Wow +P+++!!!!

Hint.

LAUGHING!...............

Though in fairness,it ain't moisture or freezing we battle here,it's the dust.

6x MQ Polar Bear anyone?

Hint.

Ooooooopsie!

LAUGHING!!!!!!!!!!!!....................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Zero your 30-06 at 200yards. Hold dead on 50 to 250. At 300 hold 8" high, at 400 hold 2' high. Spend your money on a bear rug.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
TenderTwat,

Do wax eloquent on the "particulars" of your Imaginary Pretend wares. Mainly because it will be funnier than fhuqk! Hint. LAUGHING!

You CLUELESS Fhuqktards couldn't summons a FIRST Fhuqking Clue,if you were all bolted together in unison. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your heart for trying though.

Hint.

LAUGHING!...............

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The fugging looney Prick stick has arrived to fugg up this conversation.No surprise here..Jesus Christ man TAKE YOUR MEDS.. laugh laugh

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I have been fumbling along, using what I perceived to be the King's English for three quarters of a century now, but I'll be [bleep] if I can make any sense of the Big Stick syntax. He owns most of the state of the art rifles and optics above the 55th parallel, probably has a lot of knowledge, but how the hell would I know? Swahili? Esperanto? But, "Drooling phuctard" I get. I suspect it may not be complimentary.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
boobie,

You are shy the 13 IQ Points requisite,to garner a FIRST Fhuqking Clue,you Whining Brokedick,but at least Imagination and Pretend are free so you can "afford" to "contribute"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Pardon my simply being afforded the luxuries of not being forced to guess,as a guess is the BEST you can "do",as you "live" vicariously. Feel free to TRY and "talk" about the subject,mainly because that would be funnier than fhuqk! Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

Bless your heart for doing your best though,if only due the sanctity of your Handicapped Parking Permit and Mental "Capacity".

P.S. and by the way,don't "forget",that Imitation is THE most Sincere form of Flattery you Amazingly Inept Sock Puppet.

Hint.

LAUGHING!........................

fhuqksocks,

You be SURE to cite any/all words that are "too big" or "too Technical" for your Retardation to follow and I'll simply streamline...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart,there was ZERO need to reiterate your fhuqking STUPIDITY,as it is welllllllllll beyond "obvious".

Hint.

LAUGHING!...............

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

138 members (44mc, 2UP, 470Evans, 375TN, 35, 17 invisible), 1,583 guests, and 1,015 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,957
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.