Print Thread
Hop To
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
We have Eastern Fox Squirrels that some genius imported into CA back in the 1920s. Aside from extincting the native Gray Squirrels in the areas they infest (mainly city parks and suburban gardens--they don't seem to survive in the wildlands), they cause all kinds of damage, from eating insulation off electrical wires to maiming fruit trees and ruining fruits.

I used to live where these guys were native and thought them beautiful and useful (and tasty) animals. Out here they are pure pests and we aren't allowed to kill them in city limits, which is the only place you find them.

Is there an airgun projectile that will hurt them enough to make them stay away from my backyard sniper nest, but not kill them or ricochet off wood and hit my neighbors?

Somebody told me to use "cleaning pellets." Will that work? I can get really close to these guys when they are raiding my garden, and the yard is big enough that I'm sure nobody will notice an air rifle shot. My next-door neighbors would like to be squirrel free as much as I do.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Havahart trap, car ride.

Squirrels are stubborn.

Some moron brought grays to Britain, where they are a major pest, and are displacing the popular native squirrels. They kill ‘em and kill ‘em, but it looks like a lost cause. Don’t believe anyone eats the culls; I think most are fed to ferrets.

Gray squirrels are payback for starlings and Piers Morgan.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
How about a paintball gun. Maybe freeze the paintballs.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
CB caps. Non lead for CA though.
Pests shoot them and eat them

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've used the Beeman cleaning pellets to run off pests before. There are extreme short range only though. I did find by soaking a few in Hoppes the added weight gets a few more feet of effective distance. Don't sue oil or anything else that will diesel and cause damage to your seal though.

Last edited by Timbo; 11/27/20.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Red Ryder

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If you can get close a slingshot would let them know that they are unloved, but don't know if this would be an effective long term stategy. Steel BBs bounce back off hard surfaces, but lead less likely.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Speaking of slingshots. I have used "jawbreaker" candies that I get by the bag at Dollar Tree. They are very uniform in size. I haven't hit a squirrel yet but I know it would hurt like hell if I did and they are pretty accurate. They tend to crack into pieces upon impact with whatever, while still penetrating a card board box. They are big and bright so the varmints see them zip past them which spokes them. Cheap and biodegradable too. They're not a permanent solution but after a campaign you might convince them to relocate for a month or two.
LM

If it weren't for the wonders of electricity, you'd be reading this post by candle light.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
get a paintball gun, used one on coons they dont like it

Making black powder smoke is a great thing..
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just shoot the damned things with a pellet gun and be done with it.
SSS
You don't have to advertise what your doing around the neighborhood (or on the internet).
Why would anyone care about California's fugged up laws?

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
With a multi-pump pneumatic you could just put a couple pumps or so into it, and regulate velocity to suit your needs.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

A trebuchet for squirrels...nice.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Just shoot the damned things with a pellet gun and be done with it.
SSS
You don't have to advertise what your doing around the neighborhood (or on the internet).
Why would anyone care about California's fugged up laws?

+1. At 10 yards or so a Beeman R7 will be quiet and lethal with a shot to the noggin. Over penetration/pass throughs should be minimal.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

652 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 3,401 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,374
Posts18,469,379
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.