Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Fresh bread baking and old shotgun shells.

And an old favorite Patchouli incense.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by benchman
Same deal with the spent paper hull shotgun shell.

Same here.
I have some paper shells that I load up for hunting. I sniff pretty much every one of them. Takes me back to 1960 or so.

NRA Patron
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Whenever I smell a balsam fir, I am transported back to my childhood. When we put the Christmas decorations away in the attic each year, some needles would find their way into the boxes. Come the next Christmas, Dad would boost me up to the attic panel in the hallway ceiling, I would set it aside in the attic, and he would boost me the rest of the way into the attic. I would then hand down the boxes to him. Somehow, sitting in the attic over the course of the year, those needles would infuse the air up there with their scent. (Taking down and putting away the decorations were the only times that the attic was entered during the year.) When I had handed down all of the boxes, Dad would act like he was going to leave me up there, eventually catching my legs as I lowered myself through the opening and holding me there while I replaced the panel.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fresh coffee being brewed. Reminds me of my maternal grandfather's old metal coffee percolator with the glass thing in the lid. Used it at his summer place on a bay on the south side of Lake Ontario on the brick outdoor fireplace to make morning coffee in the 50's & 60's. Fresh coffee aroma still brings me back to there.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Coffee percolating, fresh fired paper shotgun shells, honeysuckle just outside my bedroom window, Hoppes #9.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No one says "Napalm in the morning?"

I'll never forget the smell of my grandad's John Deere dealership. It wasn't a pleasant smell, just very distinctive and I suppose it may have been because of all the belts. hoses, tires, and cotton picker doffers stashed in the parts department. That old building has been torn down for many years, but the foundation is intact and the floors in the place were painted and bare concrete which is still visible. When I pass through Fabens I often stop there and I can find the spot where his office once was. I stand there and close my eyes and imagine the familiar smell...and I can almost hear his voice.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Grandma’s farmhouse. Mix of clean far north air, pines, woodstove, home cooking, mothballs, and whatever she cleaned wood floors with (little german lady, you know it was cleaned daily). Gosh I miss her.

Forest floor covered in inches of down hardwood leaves swirling around one’s feet.

Interiors of older trucks, mix of vinyl, dirty fabric and floors, gas fumes and tobacco smoke.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Doug fir just peeled, heading down the conveyors toward the clipper! Filled the whole green end with a fresh wood smell. And Lina, after a good screwing!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fresh oxycodones

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Hoppes #9
Bardahl vba
bull elk
Fresh cut red fir
fresh cut pine
hayfields
wild mustard. GD

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by watch4bear
The desert after a rain.

The desert here in EP stinks on ice after a rain. It's disgusting.

Lots of other disgusting odors in this town as well.

Last edited by High_Noon; 11/25/20.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Barn smells ( hay and manure), faint odor of skunk.

Yeah, I know, that's weird!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mmm, mmm Miss Beadle’s lemon verbena parfume

Spank my ass and make me wash the chalkboard

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Corn silage when I forked it down out of the silo!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by plainsman456
Fresh bread baking and old shotgun shells.

And an old favorite Patchouli incense.

Yup, Patchouli oil. I went to college in the mid 70s and was into hippie chicks. I'll add smoked ribs to your list. Oh, and the smell of a sea breeze coming in over a field of mature barley when we were on Black Isle in Scotland.

Last edited by cooper57m; 11/25/20.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The north woods on a damp fall morning, just cold enough to crinkle a nose hair or two. Frying bacon and perking coffee over a wood fire. Those are the good ones. Diesel exhaust and moon dust making giant crusty snots, standing next to a too long since emptied portajohn, two week since real shower body funk, and rotten feet. Those are the not so good ones.

Oh, and in case no ones mentioned it, freshly fired paper shotgun hulls......

Old70

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Whelenman
Corn silage when I forked it down out of the silo!

I had completely forgotten about that. Climbing up in the silo at Lloyd's (the guy I worked for) mother's place in the winter. Using a pick to break silage loose, then sending it down, climbing down and spreading it out onto the bunk, getting jostled by bovine heads while I was doing it, and once getting a (thank goodness blunt) end of a horn in the back of my thigh from a head tossed in ecstasy.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
WOW ...

All great memories. You put me right in the frame.

Spike camp breakfast in the mountains...cowboy coffee, canned bacon , Pancakes.

The silage brings back memories , frozen silage. busted silo -unloader.

3 ' deep snow ...steaming turd hearse ....one could smell the swear words.

Attached Images
DSC00108.jpg (37.02 KB, 196 downloads)
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Coal smoke, everybody heated their house with coal, and the steam engines parked in the rail yard down the street still ran on it. Some years back I was up on Mt Washington NH when their cog railway locomotive was still coal-burning.

The smell of smoke, soot and grease instantly took me back.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wabigoon
The smell of the paper mill in Dryden, Ontario,

Thats a smell you never forget, missed this year because of the border shut down.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (35, 41rem, 007FJ, 6mmCreedmoor, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 10 invisible), 1,466 guests, and 878 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,312
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.