Hop To
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by country_20boy
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Then you have the hoarders (who think the 10,000 rounds in their closet isn't enough) .

For somebody who shoots 200 rounds a week, 10k wouldn't last a year.

Not talking about those guys. They are extremely rare. I'm talking about Bubba, who doesn't shoot a 30 rounds a year, but buys it just in case.....

Well, it’s easy to dream up an imaginary character to support your arguments, ain’t it?

They're not imaginary characters.

renegade50 (not that I care, just using him as an example) posts on here about rounding up 9mm all the time.

He's a recreational shooter. He's not shooting three USPSA matches a month and practicing in between.

He buys it to buy it. And there are thousands of renengades out there.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There's no evidence of a shortage.

abusus non tollit usum
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I wish I could have afforded more towards hoarding when the hoarding was easy.

Im saving for a testicle reduction surgery. Dr Kenneth Noisewater is getting pretty sassy.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
So, anyone who has seen this crap happen repeatedly and takes steps long beforehand to not get caught short again is a hoarder.

Anyone who goes out to buy something he needs and has a chance to buy a little extra so he won’t have to go on the prowl for more in a month or so is selfish.

Whadya call someone who keeps letting the same predictable situation bite him in the azz over and over and over, and thinks the solution is to call sensible people names?

Whiney dumbazz comes to mind.

I know you're not calling me names, because I'm not whining and I'm not buying ammo..... Simply made an observation of what I've seen. Panic buying is contagious and exacerbates the problem. Same thing with TP, meat, and whatever else has been in short supply in 2020

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Calvin
Originally Posted by BtailHunter
Originally Posted by Calvin
I think a lot of the buying is for resale.

And when 30-30 ammo is going for $50-60 a box, plus shipping, it makes sense.

From an investment standpoint it makes sense. Buy a box for $40, sell it for $44 six months later and you make 10%.

No, I can still get it for $16 a box at the feed store, that's what makes sense

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Since the prudent accumulation of ammunition/components is not only wise, but laudable, why do so many people feel the need to spend so much time defending it?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by night_owl
Now that's funny!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
LOL, this is funny stuff. Ammo scavengers, rats, whatever....short term plans suck most days. Another tack is to not throw stuff away, but recycle instead. Last conventional brass I bought was about 5 years back and before that maybe 10 years or so. Damn if it don't still shoot. Over and over and over again. New Green Deal I say!

-HINT-

Just a few of my kid toys. The ones on the right are certified for crowd control. Well, so are the others, but you might have to bust a few extra primers.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And you gotta be creative I tell ya...

Other than the brass shell on the left the smallest caliber here is .50. Don't be intimidated by .56, it won't hurt long, I promise.

And don't think just 'cause you're 500 yards away it's a good idea to flip me off.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Panic buying is contagious. When Joe Bob goes to his favorite store to buy his yearly box of deer ammo and can't find it, he then goes all over town looking. If he finds something in his preferred cartridge, he buys 4 boxes instead of his usual 1 box. Then he tells everyone he knows that ammo is hard to find, so they run all over town and buy 3 or 4 boxes that they usually would not have. And so demand grows exponentially and pretty soon the shelves are bare. Then you have the hoarders (who think the 10,000 rounds in their closet isn't enough) and re-sellers that line up outside of the box stores at 6 am on shipment day and buy anything they can get their hands on.

That is why there is a shortage right now......

Best explanation ever...

Yes it is. And there are other options.

I don't shoot except for hunting purposes, so as little as 3 rounds per year per rifle is "enough". A box or two if wringing something out. Then it's back to "as little as 3". One to check zero, 2 for the critter. Maybe only one....but I like insurance head shots from a few yards away. There have been occasions, tho....

I have several rifles, only two (excluding .22) in the same caliber. I likely have enough components, reloaded ammo, and factory ammo to last me the rest of my hunting life. I may run out for any particular rifle or caliber, but I have backups. Like the .338WM RU77. I have nearly 40 rounds of 250 gr Hornady RN reloads, MOA. Sighted in. Loaded 'em up as not-worked-up junk loads to get rid of - whoops! - too good for that! Haven't shot the rifle in 10 years or so. That alone should carry me for the next 5 if I use it exclusively. And I have at least 100 or so bullets in other weights for reloading if I need it, all of which I have data for already. If I can find it. That's another 5-10 years or so, minimum. I'm good.... But I might change scopes.....that will entail a few extra rounds.

That said, I too feel the urge to buy when these "shortages" hit. I usually don't, but that plastic slides out awful easy. I can wait, or do without. I have to keep telling myself that..... I will buy a few more pounds of powder first chance I get. I have only 2 of IMR 4350, and 3 of 2878, if I recall the # right, and both are versatile for hunting purposes in my calibers. Haven't reloaded anything at all in 10 years or so....

I had a couple Cabela's gift cards to burn a few weeks ago - went into the Anc. store. Shelves 2/3 empty. Nothing in components or live ammo that I would use in .243, 260, 30-30, 30-06, 7X57, or .338. Only the exotic stuff - Lapau, Rem. Ultra Mag, Wby. , that kinda crap. And some few boxes of ridiculously priced Premiums in various calibers. Ended up buying a couple electronic ear muffs and a candy bar, with 68 cents left over.

Same is true in the local Sportsman's Warehouse.

However, I do have ammo, and some bullets, acquired incidentally over the years, more or less by accident (people keep dying on me) for which I am not chambered. I might have to buy some rifle barrels, and fool the hoarders..... smile. I

'm not getting rid of the couple hundred 7 Mag rounds I have. A barrel would go on that current 338 receiver real easy. I have all the tools for the swaps already. 10 rounds for sight in, and I'd be good for years. Or I could pull the bullets and use them in the 7X57. Powder too.

I may screw on a factory "in-stock" take-off 270 bbl on the "Stub" RU77 '06 if I get time this winter to see if it shoots.. Take it back from 17 inch "carbine" to standard length bbl. Make it a little kinder on the ears and recoil.... I have several hundred rounds of 270, and that will make me no-two-rifles chambered the same. Easier on the 30 cal supply, and one more caliber reserve arrow. In case I get short somewhere... smile

Or I could buy $1000-$2000 (250-500 rounds) of the available exotic-crap ammo, AND a rifle chambered for it. As if I needed another one. But then I'd "need" dies, and more components..... Nah - that's for rich looneys.

I need to go thru what inventory I do have and record it, by caliber, so I know what to jump on in due time, as available...... smile

If it gets real tough, I have a couple ML, and 40 lbs of lead. Need to stock more powder and primers, tho, and molds.

Last edited by las; 11/25/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So, anyone who has seen this crap happen repeatedly and takes steps long beforehand to not get caught short again is a hoarder.

Anyone who goes out to buy something he needs and has a chance to buy a little extra so he won’t have to go on the prowl for more in a month or so is selfish.

Whadya call someone who keeps letting the same predictable situation bite him in the azz over and over and over, and thinks the solution is to call sensible people names?

Whiney dumbazz comes to mind.

I know you're not calling me names, because I'm not whining and I'm not buying ammo.....
Simply made an observation of what I've seen. Panic buying is contagious and exacerbates the problem. Same thing with TP, meat, and whatever else has been in short supply in 2020

No, I’m not.

I haven’t witnessed anything I could call panic buying myself, just perhaps the aftermath. I’ve been buying stuff in bulk for years to reduce the need to travel to the store. Now with the Plague, I go to the grocery store maybe twice a month or less to reduce my chances of catching it. I buy enough to last until the next trip, but I also have some reserves, just as I’ve always had because it’s prudent. Waiting until you’re totally out of anything of importance is foolish, and running to the store all the time is wasteful, and now a little risky.

But this is about ammo, and for the most part it’s about ammo for recreational shooting. For whatever reason, some have failed to learn from the past and are caught short again. The name-calling began with that bunch: Hoarder, Greedy, etc, and I’ve gotten tired of hearing it when their situation could’ve been easily avoided with a little (here’s that word again) prudence on their part. Not only would they not be in the plight they are, but there would be less demand on current supplies and production.

I can sympathize a bit with those who finally realized that they need some protection and didn’t know what would happen in a crisis. I’d even help them out a bit if I could, just like I’d give them a little TP so they wouldn’t have to use their socks.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It’s real...

The bottom line is none of the manufacturers, distributors or retailers planned for this. The pandemic, the civil unrest, the first time buyers and the hoarders. Inventories were depleted at every level and they simply can’t produce components fast enough to catch up, fill backorders and meet consumer demand.

It’s gonna get worse.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can sympathize a bit with those who finally realized that they need some protection and didn’t know what would happen in a crisis. I’d even help them out a bit if I could, just like I’d give them a little TP so they wouldn’t have to use their socks.

This is just in the downstairs utility room. I have more in the bathrooms and basement. Life is too short to wipe your ass with socks. smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
"Where never is heard-
an encouraging word..."

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My dad told me when I was 16 yrs. old to spend 20 bucks out of every paycheck to buy ammo or reloading supplies and have been doing it ever since, so I think I'm good

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by skeen

This is just in the downstairs utility room. I have more in the bathrooms and basement. Life is too short to wipe your ass with socks. smile

that is disgusting

Last edited by sse; 11/25/20.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Depends OldHat.. You got ammo? Yes? Ain't short!

Them that don't got ammo are suffering the real shortage.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by night_owl

Cheaper Than Dirt has plenty.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
There isn't a lot of excess capacity in the system when things are normal. All it takes is a blip in sales and there's a shortage. Think about it. You build facilities according to normal demand. Just like you don't build a 5 car garage if you only own 2 "just in case". It's a waste of money.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sse
Originally Posted by skeen

that is disgusting

Ya' think that's sick, you oughtta see the stacks of .22LR & .223 in my gun room. blush

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Then you have the hoarders (who think the 10,000 rounds in their closet isn't enough) .

For somebody who shoots 200 rounds a week, 10k wouldn't last a year.

Not talking about those guys. They are extremely rare. I'm talking about Bubba, who doesn't shoot a 30 rounds a year, but buys it just in case.....

Well, it’s easy to dream up an imaginary character to support your arguments, ain’t it?

They're not imaginary characters.

renegade50 (not that I care, just using him as an example) posts on here about rounding up 9mm all the time.

He's a recreational shooter. He's not shooting three USPSA matches a month and practicing in between.

He buys it to buy it. And there are thousands of renengades out there.

Maybe, maybe not, but how much effect those guys have on the overall situation now is debatable. A year ago ammo was cheap and plentiful. If renegade and others like him hadn’t bought what they did then, do you really think that ammo would really be still on the shelf? Doubtful. More likely it’d be on GB for $2 a round. Those guys plan for this stuff.

About a year ago I bought my first 9mm. Bought some Fiocchi ball, liked it, and bought some of their HPs as well. When I went to buy some more ball for practice, it wasn’t available, so I started looking for something else, and definitely didn’t want to buy dollar a pop premium for that. Only ball I could find was 1,000 round packs of Winchester white box, so I ordered one. Would of settled for a few 50-round boxes, but there weren’t any. Out of curiousness, I checked that source soon after, and it was gone, maybe to someone like me, but just as likely to someone hoping to flip it, or maybe renegade50. In that case to buy what I needed, I had to buy more than I needed, and buy it I did.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (10gaugemag, 16gage, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,667 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,175
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.