Home
I'm sure demand is way up, but I don't understand how production still seems to lag so enormously. Midsouth shooters don't even allow back orders on much ammunition. What? Does this mean the manufacturers just said you will never get any ammo.

Is it possible to see ammunition production numbers and the distribution of this ammo across the country.

Is ammunition artificially minimized. A box here a box there. I'm very, very skeptical.
In my part of the world, ammo is extremely hard to find, and when word gets out that a store has some, it is usually gone within a couple of hours. There are still shotgun shells on the shelves, but rifle and pistol ammo is just not to be found. I have heard of some deer hunters who waited too late about buying some, and have had to sit out the season as a result. That is what I call extremely poor planning.
I agree it's real. There is no denying it. I'm just very skeptical of the cause. Why are the supply shipments so small they sell out in a couple of hours. Why can you not even back order most of what's listed on Midsouth.
I think alot of it is being warehoused for the past 4 or 5 months,
at major disttibutors for premium pricing when and if Ja crispy Biden swears in as POTUS.

Schitloads of a availability at premium pricing based on this years run up panic buying. When the antigun administration comes on board I would not be surprised to see it happen.
Hedging their bets on huge profits is what I'm thinking.
But of course that is just my way of thinking.
When it comes to big benjamins and companies.
I tend not to look at the sunnyside of things.
Kinda like I look at my fellow man on this planet for the most part.
Benjamins will bring out the worst or best in people depending on how you look at things.
Kinda like money, bussiness, and religous folks whatever affects the bank account rules out other things.
Praise the lord......

Midsouth is 3 miles down the road from me.
They aint had jackschit for months and they get their ammo from major distribution ware house,s.
The manufacturers say they are running 24/7 and production has increased for em in some cases.
The amount hitting the shelves at academy and rural king and 2 Lgs I hit at a regular pricing, seems just enough to wet the appetite for more and then their are the limits per customer.
But to get any you have to get out at least 3 times a week or more and be at places when they open and make it a habit.

So where is the bottle neck???

And also without primers ( which is another issue ) centerfires dont go bang. So their is a component bottleneck their also, whether real months ago or being staged for pricing in the months ahead.

JMO......

Acquitance at hornady says raw materials such as lead and copper are imported.. those supplies dried up due to COVID effect on countries that mine these materials
Originally Posted by renegade50

Oh, ya, I agree. Money will make people connive for sure.

They aint had jackschit for months and they get their ammo from major distribution ware house,s.
The manufacturers say they are running 24/7 and production has increased for em in some cases.
The amount hitting the shelves at academy and rural king and 2 Lgs I hit at a regular pricing, seems just enough to wet the appetite for more and then their are the limits per customer.
But to get any you have to get out at least 3 times and be at places when they open and make it a habit.

And also without primers ( which is another issue ) centerfires dont go bang.

Exactly! It does not add up.

But .. Companies don't like to set on inventory. They spent money to make the stuff and then warehousing it places that spent money in escrow with no interest. They tend to want to move inventory.
Originally Posted by foogle
Acquitance at hornady says raw materials such as lead and copper are imported.. those supplies dried up due to COVID effect on countries that mine these materials

That's plausible. Pretty sure raw materials are in short supply in all industries. Did he say if this was limiting production. The story you usually hear is that production lines are running full steam 24/7. These two lines seem to be inconsistent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_copper_production
https://www.statista.com/statistics/264632/lead-mine-production-by-country/

It's hard to verify though if these raw material are indeed in short supply.
It’s real. Lots of info on why is available, but simply put, all the factors that caused this crap before are in play again, and you can add the supply, transport, and personnel issues from the Plague to the heap of woes.

If mega-buyers like Whatamart and Midway can’t get stuff, you can bet small outfits can’t either. That’s why I think the scalpers will run out pretty quickly too.

If you can find anything that can be back-ordered, get in line. Usually, there’s no money required up front, so what have you got to lose?
Ammo's been real hard to find here in Minnesota. I'm glad I had enough to get me through. Any time I'm in a store I check and see if I hit the lottery and they just put some out. That's about the only way you luck into it up here. I haven't resorted to ordering it in from the net. Prices are up and shipping adds to the bill. I'll be good for the forseeable future, and I hope it loosens up a bit in the meantime.
Originally Posted by OldHat

Oh, ya, I agree. Money will make people connive for sure.

But to get any you have to get out at least 3 times and be at places when they open and make it a habit.

And also without primers ( which is another issue ) centerfires dont go bang.

Exactly! It does not add up.

But .. Companies don't like to set on inventory. They spent money to make the stuff and then warehousing it places that spent money in escrow with no interest. They tend to want to move inventory.

Release just enough onto a market to meet overheads with profit at the current run up pricing.
And sit on a schittload for even more run up pricing when the conditions are prime, then dump it on the market.
And once that supply has shot its wad.
Another lag is created.

At a run up pricing scale again.
Milking it for all it can be.

JMO.
An uncle couldn’t find anything in 270 and 30-06 on the east coast. At our Midwest hunt he brought an almost 50 year old box of federal 30-06 loads that still had the $4 price tag on them. They still work quite well.

I reload at least for hunting I have enough components for a while.
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Ammo's been real hard to find here in Minnesota. I'm glad I had enough to get me through. Any time I'm in a store I check and see if I hit the lottery and they just put some out. That's about the only way you luck into it up here. I haven't resorted to ordering it in from the net. Prices are up and shipping adds to the bill. I'll be good for the forseeable future, and I hope it loosens up a bit in the meantime.

Add in online sales tax in states that are gleeful that untapped source of revenue happened for em.
Under the pretext of we did it for mom and pop shops....
Like Old Mother Hubbard's cupboard. I think about pictures, but we all see the same bare shelves.
I'm sure demand is way up, but I don't understand how production still seems to lag so enormously.

Is ammunition artificially minimized. A box here a box there. I'm very, very skeptical.

Said this exact thing to a friend yesterday. Keep hearing claims that manufacturers are running flat out so if that’s true, supply onto store shelves is obviously being throttled.

I don’t believe the manufacturers or distributors could be sitting on the stock levels they claim to be manufacturing just based on cash flow considerations. Someone or something more nefarious? Draw your own conclusions.
I have no doubt and am convinced local sporting goods store shelves are bare. The question is, is it just because hunters are hoarding. I mean 24/7 production lines and all they can do is dribble ammo to sporting goods stores.
There was an estate sale in south-central Kentucky about a month ago, and twenty-five boxes of 30 to 40 year old 30-06 ammo averaged about $35 a box. It wasn't for any "collector" value either.
I have no doubt and am convinced local sporting goods store shelves are bare. The question is, is it just because hunters are hoarding. I mean 24/7 production lines and all they can do is dribble ammo to sporting goods stores.

I think there are a lot of people who are genuinely afraid of what will happen under a Biden administration, and others who have jumped on the bandwagon of being scared and buying ammo.
Why can you not even back order most of what's listed on Midsouth.

Because maybe their next shipment will be double the price. Why lock yourself into losing money?
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Why can you not even back order most of what's listed on Midsouth.

Because maybe their next shipment will be double the price. Why lock yourself into losing money?

I think suppliers broadcast price increases in advance. I don't think middle men will allow a back order unless the supplier is communicating to them future product at a certain price. Maybe I'm wrong.
Cheaper Than Dirt has a good bit of rifle ammo for sale unless you need .243, .270, or .30-06.
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I have heard of some deer hunters who waited too late about buying some, and have had to sit out the season as a result.

Fuqk em, I can't imagine owning a deer rifle and not having several boxes of ammo for it.
Here is a link to a Powder Valley blog discussing the issue:

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/category/reloading-supplies/

405wcf
It's real in these parts...
I've heard that primers being in short supply is a key reason for reduced production. For some reason, primer production has been hit hardest.
Originally Posted by mirage243
I have heard of some deer hunters who waited too late about buying some, and have had to sit out the season as a result.

Fuqk em, I can't imagine owning a deer rifle and not having several boxes of ammo for it.

Same. I've got a couple hundred rounds of .30-30 hunting ammo on hand, and don't even hunt anymore. Same with .30-06, etc..
Who closed the LEAD mine in the USA>>>
Originally Posted by 405wcf
Here is a link to a Powder Valley blog discussing the issue:

405wcf

Good article, but I wish I could see numbers.

From the article ..
"In the U.S., only four companies (Winchester, Remington, Federal, and CCI) manufacture primers for civilian use, law enforcement, and the military. "

Okay, but how much and where. Who's getting the 24/7 production people claim is happening.

The part about the Russian primers was interesting. I would love to know some details about the worlds small arms ammo industry
Originally Posted by Hubert

Don't know, which one?
Close to 18 million background checks for 2020 so far. If 70 or 80% of them purchase firearms they also bought ammunition for those firearms. I’ve been reading 60% +are First time gun buyers. This is just 2020, That is a boatload of ammo. Buddy mine owns a gun shop,a gentleman that frequents his establishment works for federal ammunition he dictates where and how much ammo is shipped to different clients, I asked him where all of the primers are and he said we make more money selling ammo not primers,Loaded ammunition has priority.He said we literally cannot keep up with demand. He also said they are not having issues, and this was four months ago In getting raw materials, knock on wood. So it’s a combination, at least I think of multiple factors people buying large quantities of ammunition and people buying large quantities of reloading supplies, first time gun buyers, lawn Enforcement contracts military contracts, remember they also take care of Foreign orders, he said Canada it’s self is mine boggling.I’m sure there are other factors but it all adds up to the current situation that were in. I don’t believe any ammunition manufacturers have warehouse full of ammo that they are holding back, that’s just my take on it.
I don't know the cause but the shortage is really starting to get annoying. I'm well stocked but have definitely cut back on my shooting habits to limit running through my supply.

I've also been on the hunt for a certain gun for about 6 months, that's still in production, and simply cannot find a new one. I think I've talked to just about every dealer in the country and none to be found. I don't really want a used one but hell, those are hard to find too, even if I did.
Originally Posted by BamBam
Close to 18 million background checks for 2020 so far. If 70 or 80% of them purchase firearms they also bought ammunition for those firearms. I’ve been reading 60% +are First time gun buyers. This is just 2020, That is a boatload of ammo. Buddy mine owns a gun shop,a gentleman that frequents his establishment works for federal ammunition he dictates where and how much ammo is shipped to different clients, I asked him where all of the primers are and he said we make more money selling ammo not primers,Loaded ammunition has priority.He said we literally cannot keep up with demand. He also said they are not having issues, and this was four months ago In getting raw materials, knock on wood. So it’s a combination, at least I think of multiple factors people buying large quantities of ammunition and people buying large quantities of reloading supplies, first time gun buyers, lawn Enforcement contracts military contracts, remember they also take care of Foreign orders, he said Canada it’s self is mine boggling.I’m sure there are other factors but it all adds up to the current situation that were in. I don’t believe any ammunition manufacturers have warehouse full of ammo that they are holding back, that’s just my take on it.

Any idea what the average number of background checks per year are?
Has the Remington bankruptcy affected ammunition production? They are a very large ammo producer.
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Has the Remington bankruptcy affected ammunition production? They are a very large ammo producer.

This article from above did talk about that.

Originally Posted by copperking81

I wondered the same thing. This what I found.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/gun-sales-record-high-2020/
I just grab this off of the Internet for 2020, I know it’s CBSBut I’m sure those numbers are fairly accurate.
I am not experiencing a shortage.

https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/nics

Some more good info
Another thing that may be contributing to it is that Winchester took over the operation of Lake City from Federal a couple of months ago. I'm sure there were some hiccups during the changeover.

https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/nics

Some more good info

Most shooters especially high volume shooters prepared long ago for this crap, I started with Bill Clinton :-) I feel bad for younger, new shooters and people that don’t have four or 5K to stock pile ammo and supplies. The writing’s been on the wall for many many years, prepare for the worst and hope for the best I’m at the point where I’m just hoping for the best.
I bought a couple of cans of black powder. Should last 5 or 6 years hunting deer.
Pretty sure the Remington plants are Shut down. Very little available here except for waterfowl shotshells. Glad I can load my own. I plan on loading up my existing cases in the next couple of months in case some laws are changed about loading your own.
OldHat: Yes... it is real!
Just like the last few "shortages" we endured.
I hope YOU were prepared - I know I was.
Strange times we are living in!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Some can conjure up a conspiracy about anything. I don't thing there is one. BamBam hit the nail on the head though.

Interesting. While the numbers are higher, they don't look like terribly out of line with the normal year over year growth pattern. And some of that is just big spikes in March and June, which is obviously explainable.

I guess I was expecting to see a sustained, exponential growth over the normal growth pattern, from March forward..
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Some can conjure up a conspiracy about anything. I don't thing there is one. BamBam hit the nail on the head though.

I find numbers more convincing. I never see numbers. Did you see the NICS numbers I posted. They don't seem as "through the roof" as portrayed in media. They seem to be on a more steady increase.

I see your point though ... we've never seen anyone conspire before.Nah, not here. LOL

Interesting. While the numbers are higher, they don't look like terribly out of line with the normal year over year growth pattern. And some of that is just big spikes in March and June, which is obviously explainable.

I guess I was expecting to see a sustained, exponential growth over the normal growth pattern, from March forward..

Ya, that struck me odd as well.
I can tell you guys for a fact, Hornady's about shut down due to the bologna virus. When coupled with demand, there you are...
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
OldHat: Yes... it is real!
Just like the last few "shortages" we endured.
I hope YOU were prepared - I know I was.
Strange times we are living in!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

You were wise.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I am not experiencing a shortage.

same here

just got another 1K pcs of clean 9 mm range brass

ordered another 1K boolits to go with it......

I'll start loading it when the weather really turns schitdy..
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I can tell you guys for a fact, Hornady's about shut down due to the bologna virus. When coupled with demand, there you are...

Yes the Chinese virus is a big problem in supply chains, but it's not like they have a bunch of people using hand loaders. I mean these are automated processes, no? If anything can be manufactured through an automated assembly I would think ammo would be.
Covid effect on supplies, shipping and manpower to make and transport....

The country is essentially running on three-quarters capacity at best....Throw in fall hunting demand combined with election uncertainty and you end up with a shortage....
OldHat: I do find myself scrambling for ammunition though - not for myself but for my VarmintChildren (one needs 9m/m and 223 others need rimfire!), and my various Big Game and Varmint Hunting friends!
This is a pain what ever the cause/reason. I don't think there is a "conspiracy" of any kind involved it is just worry about the political future of this nation!
I would NOT be surprised if this "shortage" last a full year.
I am waiting for the 9:00 bell to be first in line at my LGS - rumor is a shipment of ammo came in late yesterday afternoon?
Long live the Second Amendment.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Yes the Chinese virus is a big problem in supply chains, but it's not like they have a bunch of people using hand loaders. I mean these are automated processes, no? If anything can be manufactured through an automated assembly I would think ammo would be.

If you have a big supply problem....what are you going to make with your automated processes?
Lots of idiots out there that make this possible. Been fielding dozens of calls a day from morons who don't think...needing slugs or ammo less than a week to go from opening day. How stupid do you need to be, to wait 51 weeks with zero ammo and then panic and think during a pandemic with news of ammo shortages for months, that stores will have stacks ready for you?
I don’t go “pew pew pew” in the backyard.

I’m in need of nothing
Point is...contrived or not...idiots will keep the shortages going for a long time
Originally Posted by battue

If you have a big supply problem....what are you going to make with your automated processes?

Well ... obviously nothing, but why do one minute you hear they are running 24/7 and the next minute they are shut down.

I'm just curious as to what "supplies" exactly are in short supply. How short.

That's just the way I think. I like numbers. I always dig deeper than, "okay, thanks for the explanation".
As far as NICS checks go, remember that one check can involve multiple guns. I've seen a lot of new owners buy both a handgun and a long gun for protection. Before I retired last week, the shop I worked at was at 8500 guns for the year. Our previous best was 6300.
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Lots of idiots out there that make this possible. Been fielding dozens of calls a day from morons who don't think...needing slugs or ammo less than a week to go from opening day. How stupid do you need to be, to wait 51 weeks with zero ammo and then panic and think during a pandemic with news of ammo shortages for months, that stores will have stacks ready for you?

At least they aren't hoarding. LOL
Originally Posted by UPhiker
As far as NICS checks go, remember that one check can involve multiple guns. I've seen a lot of new owners buy both a handgun and a long gun for protection. Before I retired last week, the shop I worked at was at 8500 guns for the year. Our previous best was 6300.

Good point.

Well ... obviously nothing, but why do one minute you hear they are running 24/7 and the next minute they are shut down.

That's just the way I think. I like numbers. I always dig deeper than, "okay, thanks for the explanation".

I can only speak for federal, they do not have a supply issue with raw materials it is strictly a demand issue. They can only produce so manyRounds per day, and the demand exceeds that.They also do not produce every caliber they are capable of producing every day.
Originally Posted by slumlord

I’m in need of nothing

One tag. One bullet. And if you hunt every year that doubles as target practice too.

That's how I roll.

Good point.

So true, handgun in 9mm and a 12 gauge shotgun?(just an example )And they want ammo for both, lots of ammo for both....

I’m in need of nothing

One tag. One bullet. And if you hunt every year that doubles as target practice too.

That's how I roll.

Most people I know don’t hunt but they shoot a lot, I hunt and shoot a lot :-)

Perhaps because at one time they had supplies, extra employees and easy transport....and now they don’t. Their business is to sell their product. You think one of them wouldn’t put it on the shelves...if another company couldn’t?

Sometimes one can dig deep while the answers don’t require it....

A friend of mine has a connection there. They are shut down for all practical purposes.

Perhaps because at one time they had supplies, extra employees and easy transport....and now they don’t. Their business is to sell their product. You think one of them wouldn’t put it on the shelves...if another company couldn’t?

Sometimes one can dig deep while the answers don’t require it....

Perhaps. I agree covid has had a fluctuating affect through out the year.

No, I think all the companies would sell all they had. I just wish I could see numbers of where and when. Like I said. I like numbers.
This seems to happen every election cycle.

A friend of mine has a connection there. They are shut down for all practical purposes.

Thanks for the info.
In my part of the world, ammo is extremely hard to find, and when word gets out that a store has some, it is usually gone within a couple of hours. There are still shotgun shells on the shelves, but rifle and pistol ammo is just not to be found. I have heard of some deer hunters who waited too late about buying some, and have had to sit out the season as a result. That is what I call extremely poor planning.

That's not poor planning. That's stupidity at its finest.

Never bought a rifle that I didn’t immediately go & buy 600 rds for it. That’s my minimum. Have way more for my .338 as it was a rifle used most frequently. Semi autos burn at a faster rate, so of course you need more.

Lucky to have some connections here to help w some .223 desires

But nothing on shelves around here besides 10mm. I need to unload some Benjamin’s on my kids to go buy it I guess 🤷🏻‍♂️

Both my wife & daughter have 10mm pistols as their berry picking guns.

Am leery to let my kids shoot up much because I see it getting worse before ever better.

I wonder if a FISA request would let us know how much the govt is buying up to keep their employees armed ?

I could see that being a strategy of the new administration IF they take over which sadly seems more likely w each passing day
One thing is certain, the more threads people post about ammo shortages, the better the situation will get.

The EPA under Obama

kwg
Originally Posted by smokepole
One thing is certain, the more threads people post about ammo shortages, the better the situation will get.

I'm sure most people reading this thread are not the problem. Now if CBS news runs a story on gun purchases I suspect that has an effect.
The shortage is real. The fact that it exists is ridiculous.
Sure be glad when China and India start selling hunting ammo. I think we're being scammed, gun control is impossible to implement, but ammo availability renders a gun about useless. You ain't seen nothing yet, just wait till the dumocrats gain control.
What numbers would make you happy? Where or from whom do you think you can find them? However.....until someone or you can come up with them....the numbers on the shelves are little to none..

Restaurant sales are down, same with airlines, trucking, sports, hospital electives, brick and mortar sales, etc, etc.....why would the numbers of rifle components be any different?

I'm sure most people reading this thread are not the problem.

Sure, and nobody here stocked up on toilet paper either.

Restaurant sales are down, same with airlines, trucking, sports, hospital electives, brick and mortar sales, etc, etc.....why would the numbers of rifle components be any different?

Battue, when you say "numbers of rifle components, are you talking sales figures or available inventory?
What numbers would make you happy? Where or from whom do you think you can find them? However.....until someone or you can come up with them....the numbers on the shelves are little to none..

Aren't the sales of rifle components up while the sale other things listed are down? Seems that the one contradicts the other.
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Sure be glad when China and India start selling hunting ammo. I think we're being scammed, gun control is impossible to implement, but ammo availability renders a gun about useless. You ain't seen nothing yet, just wait till the dumocrats gain control.

If the Supreme Court holds the line the Dems will be held up..passing a law and having it implemented are often two different things. Time to play payback....take them to court on every turn...and then to the next one up if necessary....

I'm sure most people reading this thread are not the problem.

Sure, and nobody here stocked up on toilet paper either.

I'm sure they did. Think volume.

Originally Posted by 5sdad

Aren't the sales of rifle components up while the sale other things listed are down? Seems that the one contradicts the other.

Sold out is a fact not a contradiction....you can’t sell what you don’t have....

Battue, when you say "numbers of rifle components, are you talking sales figures or available inventory?

I can tell you this, tanners sport shop, Jamison Pennsylvania and Quinbys gun shop Dublin Pennsylvania both are allotted guns, they cannot freely order what they want the inventory is not there.Tanners is a much larger store Ray has better buying power then Quimby‘s mom and pop shop but they’re both limited In purchasing firearms and ammunition.
I doubt if they'll ever sell hunting ammo. I'd rather buy American, anyways.

I can tell you this, tanners sport shop, Jamison Pennsylvania and Quinbys gun shop Dublin Pennsylvania both are allotted guns, they cannot freely order what they want the inventory is not there.Tanners is a much larger store Ray has better buying power then Quimby‘s mom and pop shop but they’re both limited In purchasing firearms and ammunition.
All shops are like that. The bigger shops can get more than the smaller ones, but they can't get anywhere near what they want and what they get may not be something they would've wanted 8 months ago. Of course, stuff that wouldn't have sold 8 months ago, will sell now.

It's not a contradiction. Lots of people aren't traveling, going to large gatherings, or having elective surgeries but you can sit on your butt and order components online, and make a truckload of ammo without leaving your house.
https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/nos...-projectile-2700fps/FC-054041471183.html

Holy [bleep]! shocked

"Our Low Price" laugh laugh
Originally Posted by skeen

Holy [bleep]! shocked

Damn! I've got hundreds of rounds of popular commercial hunting loads, for the most popular big game calibers, that I'm likely never going to use. I could really cash in.

How can you have current robust sales figures when the available inventory is minimal? Yesterday’s robust figures....were most likely inflated due to political uncertainty......brings us to today....and for multiple reasons we have availability issues....

If I had to throw out a guess....it would be employee availability and transport being our main issues. Food and Holiday needs take transportation priority over ammo?

At work here....we are being crushed with staffing issues. Some have been exposed, test + and there goes 14 days. No issues, but +....test again and negative...still told to stay home 14..
Some are playing the fear game and stay home when they think they may have been exposed. Some have a cough and take off to be tested and there goes a couple days at minimum.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Holy [bleep]! shocked

Damn! I've got hundreds of rounds of popular commercial hunting loads, for the most popular big game calibers, that I'm likely never going to use. I could really cash in.

Do I hear $150? Anybody? grin laugh

Last time I checked the number of 1st time gun buyers in the US was over 5 million. That’s a lot of new people to the gun owning game that need ammo for their new toy. It’s been ridiculous since covid/George Floyd.

Same. I've got a couple hundred rounds of .30-30 hunting ammo on hand, and don't even hunt anymore. Same with .30-06, etc..

30-30 is unobtainium right now. Check out the prices on Ammoseek - $5.00 per round!!! $100 for a box of 20!!!

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/30-30-winchester
I wish I knew a way to sell it locally to those who are interested in paying current market prices for what I have, as I don't want to go through the trouble and expense of shipping it to anyone. Armslist is useless. I never get any responses. Besides, it recently went from free to $8.00 per month.
I knew there would eventually be another run on ammo. I have plenty of 22LR, and I'm in good shape in components for my needs. I made sure to have enough primers over a year ago, and I added a bit of 4895 and Unique to the powder supply. I also bought a few boxes of 223 here and there and have plenty. I've never been a fan of blowing away a thousand rounds on a weekend and felt it was pretty stupid. I like to shoot, but I like to hit my targets, not spray n pray.

My sympathy lies with the new shooters who want to get into the sport but can't find guns or ammo. We knew better than to get caught with our pants down. The new shooters didn't, and hoarding has many potential new allies in our sport frustrated to the point of moving on.
You gawddam right it’s real the ammo is gone and won’t be back for a long time if ever!!!

I can’t speak to India, but China has s able to get reduce quality ammunition. We just aren’t allowed to import it any longer. I think I still have a case or two of Norinco 7.62x39. It’ll outshoot anything else you can get your hands on.
Originally Posted by kwg020

The EPA under Obama

kwg

lead mines/smelters aren't the problem

https://www.ila-lead.org/lead-facts/lead-production--statistics

Lead ores are mined at a rate close to 5 million tonnes a year and the world market for refined lead stands at about US $15 billion.

While it has a high economic value, lead is relatively economical to produce. As with all metals, there are two main production routes. Primary production from mined lead ore is of course the original source of all lead, but secondary production, where it is recovered from recycled products or from residues arising from the production process is of enormous importance.

Secondary lead production now accounts for more than half of all lead produced throughout the world. In the US more than 80% of lead comes from secondary production with Europe reporting over 60%. These impressive figures are made possible by the fact that most lead is used in readily recyclable applications. And unlike many recycled materials, the value of lead means that recycling is economically viable and hence self-sustainable.

The following statistics are derived from the official data compiled by the International Lead and Zinc Study Group. The ILZSG data can be found at www.ilzsg.org
Originally Posted by luv2safari
I knew there would eventually be another run on ammo. I have plenty of 22LR, and I'm in good shape in components for my needs. I made sure to have enough primers over a year ago, and I added a bit of 4895 and Unique to the powder supply. I also bought a few boxes of 223 here and there and have plenty. I've never been a fan of blowing away a thousand rounds on a weekend and felt it was pretty stupid. I like to shoot, but I like to hit my targets, not spray n pray.

My sympathy lies with the new shooters who want to get into the sport but can't find guns or ammo. We knew better than to get caught with our pants down. The new shooters didn't, and hoarding has many potential new allies in our sport frustrated to the point of moving on.

Very good post.

I find numbers more convincing. I never see numbers. Did you see the NICS numbers I posted. They don't seem as "through the roof" as portrayed in media. They seem to be on a more steady increase.

I see your point though ... we've never seen anyone conspire before.Nah, not here. LOL

From a business perspective, these numbers are huge. October 2020, the last month for data, is a 38% increase! A quick eyeball of the months since the pandemic began appear to be similar in growth. Think about this: few businesses can meet a 38% increase in immediate demand. If they can, their utilization of capital is very poor.

I know of businesses that are currently having a difficult time keeping their operations running due to covid related illnesses. What do you do if you don't have enough people show up to run the place?

Put the tinfoil away, the only conspiracy is a confluence of negative events that is hampering many industries at this time.

405wcf

From a business perspective, these numbers are huge. October 2020, the last month for data, is a 38% increase! A quick eyeball of the months since the pandemic began appear to be similar in growth. Think about this: few businesses can meet a 38% increase in immediate demand. If they can, their utilization of capital is very poor.

I know of businesses that are currently having a difficult time keeping their operations running due to covid related illnesses. What do you do if you don't have enough people show up to run the place?

Put the tinfoil away, the only conspiracy is a confluence of negative events that is hampering many industries at this time.

405wcf

EXCELLENT POST!

405wcf

I agree. I also wonder if the manufacturers ship to their best customers first. The trickle down to the general public will be slow indeed.
405wcf: Just talked this morning with a gun store owner and he told me he has NOT had an ammunition shipment of ANY KIND in OVER 3 months!
Normally he gets two shipments a week!
So that may fly in the face of your "not keeping up with an increase in demand" theory?
I mean there should have been a shipment of something in the last 10 days wouldn't you think even if demand was/is high?
I have NO idea what or who is causing this latest shortage (I do guess that it is politically/fear instigated) all I do know is, IT'S BAD!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by Dess

405wcf

I agree. I also wonder if the manufacturers ship to their best customers first. The trickle down to the general public will be slow indeed.

The manufacturers ship to their distributors. Right now, the place that I just retired from is limited, even from our #1 distributor.
Some fu:cking 30-30 rounds $5 a piece whointhefuck woulda ever thought they’d see price gouging like this,,, hell I’m gone list some on here for $500 a box
Originally Posted by Hammer2506
Some fu:cking 30-30 rounds $5 a piece whointhefuck woulda ever thought they’d see price gouging like this,,, hell I’m gone list some on here for $500 a box

This is about half of what I have in commercial big game ammo. All full boxes.

[Linked Image]
Hawkeye, you need to shoot your guns more often. Most of those packaging styles haven't been used in many years. That's some old ammo. It's still good but it's old.
I really liked the Nitrex ammo, handy 5 rd packages. Used it for a couple deer and an elk in my 06 back before I reloaded.
Hawkeye, you need to shoot your guns more often. Most of those packaging styles haven't been used in many years. That's some old ammo. It's still good but it's old.

I shoot plenty, just not commercial big game hunting ammo, other than (back in the day) to compare performance, which only takes a few rounds of each type (which is why I also have a bunch of partially full boxes that are not in that picture. I bought those back twenty or thirty years ago when I occasionally hunted. No point in plinking with them.
I've said it quite a few times on this forum,

Get at least one 7.62x39. Even in this mess, ammo can still be found for 50 cents a pop.

https://www.luckygunner.com/rifle/7.62x39mm-ammo?dir=asc&order=cost_per_round
No point in plinking with them.

No point in setting on them, either.....
Originally Posted by huntsman22
No point in plinking with them.

No point in setting on them, either.....

I'd like to find someone who's desperate to get them.
Maybe this Saturday I'll haul them out to the range and hold up a sign.
7.62x39 available here for 35 - 42 cents per, but corrosive primed.

https://www.sgammo.com/catalog/rifle-ammo-sale/762x39-ammo
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
I really liked the Nitrex ammo, handy 5 rd packages. Used it for a couple deer and an elk in my 06 back before I reloaded.

I saved the '5 packs' and use them still, just different ammo.
Demand and manipulation of demand. They have no duty to supply us, purely financially motivated.
What most don't realize is that wholesale prices haven't gone much at all, just some gouging on the retail level.
I'm sure demand is way up, but I don't understand how production still seems to lag so enormously. Midsouth shooters don't even allow back orders on much ammunition. What? Does this mean the manufacturers just said you will never get any ammo.

Is it possible to see ammunition production numbers and the distribution of this ammo across the country.

No shortage of ammo. You folks got to get through your rather thick skulls that you are your own worst enemies. Ask any grade school kid about supply vs. demand and how buying anything that hits the shelves or the internet can help. crazy
I was doing a look see on my supplies and found 7500 of these in a cabinet I forgot about.

405wcf

Where can I find the numbers?
Originally Posted by Dess

Interesting question. Is there a distribution priority list.
Just for informational purposes, Blazer Brass 9mm 115gr ammo is going for $11.09 a box of 50 at one of the largest distributors.
405wcf: Just talked this morning with a gun store owner and he told me he has NOT had an ammunition shipment of ANY KIND in OVER 3 months!

Wow. There must be a distribution priority.

[Linked Image]

#aintMuch

😂

I call BS. Ammo doesn't come separately. It comes from the same distributors, at the same time, as you get everything else you order. He must not be talking to his sales people.
Originally Posted by Slavek

No shortage of ammo. You folks got to get through your rather thick skulls that you are your own worst enemies. Ask any grade school kid about supply vs. demand and how buying anything that hits the shelves or the internet can help. crazy

Anyone who understands supply and demand curves also understands there are always confounding factors in real life.

I call BS. Ammo doesn't come separately. It comes from the same distributors, at the same time, as you get everything else you order. He must not be talking to his sales people.

I know federal, does not just sell to distributors, they have some major players that they sell Direct to, Ammunition and components.
I know there is little to no hope of getting 6.8 SPC ammo anytime soon. What fun is an AR when you can't shoot it?

I know federal, does not just sell to distributors, they have some major players that they sell Direct to, Ammunition and components.

They also sell to the big box stores but over the past few years, many of them have stopped selling ammo.
Originally Posted by moosemike
I know there is little to no hope of getting 6.8 SPC ammo anytime soon. What fun is an AR when you can't shoot it?
That's got nothing to do with this. The 6.8 SPC has been dead for a few years.
Originally Posted by BobBrown

[Linked Image]

#aintMuch

😂

agreed

I ain't posting any ammo/components pics
Of course the ammo shortage is real, cause of the numbskulls that think they need a 5 year supply and buy everything they see to feed that "need" . Pretty selfish and not very considerate of others.

Yes it does. It was available on store shelves until this hit
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Of course the ammo shortage is real, cause of the numbskulls that think they need a 5 year supply and buy everything they see to feed that "need" . Pretty selfish and not very considerate of others.

Go fuqk yourself, it's MY money, I'll do what I want with it.

Nice. I suppose you're all for food & gas rationing too, right?

Or, hey, how 'bout a government lottery system for toilet paper & potatoes? That commie enough for ya'?

Yes it does. It was available on store shelves until this hit
A few boxes here and there, but it was never a top or medium tier cartridge in popularity. Remington has never properly promoted their new cartridges. The last one they did was the 25/06 and 7mm mag. They didn't do much with the 6mm, 260, 708, SA mags, Umags, etc. Should I go on?
So go ahead and be a selfish slob, buy all the ammo you want but when the other guy gets there before you don't be crying here. WTF does gas rationing have to do with the ammo shortage, never mentioned rationing or gov. control you did there jackwagon.
I'm sure none of the Democrat governors are using COVID as cover to restrict production in their states.
Gunbroker has more ammo for sale than most people would want or could afford. I just now made a bid on 200 rounds of .30-06 that will be a decent price even if it goes to my max bid.
I have 1700 rounds of 8x57...D@mn near a millionaire...
Originally Posted by Hastings
Gunbroker has more ammo for sale than most people would want or could afford. I just now made a bid on 200 rounds of .30-06 that will be a decent price even if it goes to my max bid.

You got the afford part right

Add in online sales tax in states that are gleeful that untapped source of revenue happened for em.

You can thank Wyoming Senator Mike Enzi for the internet sales tax. He spearheaded that invasion of American citizen's wallets. "It's to level the playing field" for the "Brick & Mortar" stores vs. the internet sellers.
Panic buying is contagious. When Joe Bob goes to his favorite store to buy his yearly box of deer ammo and can't find it, he then goes all over town looking. If he finds something in his preferred cartridge, he buys 4 boxes instead of his usual 1 box. Then he tells everyone he knows that ammo is hard to find, so they run all over town and buy 3 or 4 boxes that they usually would not have. And so demand grows exponentially and pretty soon the shelves are bare. Then you have the hoarders (who think the 10,000 rounds in their closet isn't enough) and re-sellers that line up outside of the box stores at 6 am on shipment day and buy anything they can get their hands on.

That is why there is a shortage right now......
This thread is a good example of why I no longer have any faith in our society as a whole.
Nor does any here have any faith in a fantisising narcisist like you there "Deacon".
Whole package baffles me a bit. There’s a wanker over at RFC who has set a goal of possessing 52k of .22 LR. Have to wonder why. Fella doesn’t need more than one round to settle neighborhood disputes or control mobs. Only takes one round to put a week or so worth of meat on the table. Folks need to get over the fantasy and get serious.
Originally Posted by country_20boy
Panic buying is contagious. When Joe Bob goes to his favorite store to buy his yearly box of deer ammo and can't find it, he then goes all over town looking. If he finds something in his preferred cartridge, he buys 4 boxes instead of his usual 1 box. Then he tells everyone he knows that ammo is hard to find, so they run all over town and buy 3 or 4 boxes that they usually would not have. And so demand grows exponentially and pretty soon the shelves are bare. Then you have the hoarders (who think the 10,000 rounds in their closet isn't enough) and re-sellers that line up outside of the box stores at 6 am on shipment day and buy anything they can get their hands on.

Best explanation ever...
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Whole package baffles me a bit. There’s a wanker over at RFC who has set a goal of possessing 52k of .22 LR. Have to wonder why. Fella doesn’t need more than one round to settle neighborhood disputes or control mobs. Only takes one round to put a week or so worth of meat on the table. Folks need to get over the fantasy and get serious.

This guy would likely have agreed with you.

don't know if the shortage is real but the inflated cost is
just found a bunch of 38 spcl didn't know i had...wth
now i gotta find the revolver...LOL
I think a lot of the buying is for resale.
were i handloading, i'd replace lead with pure gold...less toxic, more flamboyant
Originally Posted by Calvin

And when 30-30 ammo is going for $50-60 a box, plus shipping, it makes sense.
Nor does any here have any faith in a fantisising narcisist like you there "Deacon".

Happy Thanksgiving, lard ass.
Originally Posted by sse
just found a bunch of 38 spcl didn't know i had...wth

I was straightening up yesterday and found a dust covered case of .38 Special too. A thousand rounds of CCI 158 grain lead round nose.
Originally Posted by BtailHunter

From an investment standpoint it makes sense. Buy a box for $40, sell it for $44 six months later and you make 10%.

Our lead is imported because we have no smelters anymore.
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...oses-will-this-affect-bullet-production/
80% of American Lead comes from recycling, not from mining/smelting

That money is collected and sent to the home state of the purchaser. They don't keep that tax.
Originally Posted by smarquez

Our lead is imported because we have no smelters anymore.
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...oses-will-this-affect-bullet-production/

80% of lead in the US market is from reclaimed/recycled sources according the the lead trade association.

https://www.ila-lead.org/lead-facts/lead-production--statistics

Just for [bleep], went to AMMOSEEK and typed in 30.06 180gr. It yielded five results and three of them were foreignshit. Not a single Winchester, Hornady or Remington product. I mean like I wasn't looking for 318WR or anything weird.
Originally Posted by deflave
This thread is a good example of why I no longer have any faith in our society as a whole.

What took you so long?
Can someone spot me a half a box 9mm for the revolution? I’m good for it..
Then you have the hoarders (who think the 10,000 rounds in their closet isn't enough) .

For somebody who shoots 200 rounds a week, 10k wouldn't last a year.
Originally Posted by 79S

laugh
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Then you have the hoarders (who think the 10,000 rounds in their closet isn't enough) .

Not talking about those guys. They are extremely rare. I'm talking about Bubba, who doesn't shoot a 30 rounds a year, but buys it just in case.....
So, anyone who has seen this crap happen repeatedly and takes steps long beforehand to not get caught short again is a hoarder.

Anyone who goes out to buy something he needs and has a chance to buy a little extra so he won’t have to go on the prowl for more in a month or so is selfish.

Whadya call someone who keeps letting the same predictable situation bite him in the azz over and over and over, and thinks the solution is to call sensible people names?

Whiney dumbazz comes to mind.

Not talking about those guys. They are extremely rare. I'm talking about Bubba, who doesn't shoot a 30 rounds a year, but buys it just in case.....

Well, it’s easy to dream up an imaginary character to support your arguments, ain’t it?
Well, if it's not REAL, what is it then?
From the Powder Valley blog - Some logic for the discussion.
"Normally, we would say “stock up.” But that time has passed, and I would encourage everyone to learn from this. Stock up in times of plentiful supply so that you are not affected as greatly during these times of extreme shortage."

I really do not feel sorry for anyone who is caught short, if you were one of those folks then it means that you have not been paying attention the last few decades. The last time I got caught a little short was the primer scare in the 80's, since then I have always bought whatever I needed when it was on sale or if I had shot more than normal. It was only a few months ago that I bought 22 caliber Hornady V-Max for $7.00 per box shipped, I didn't need them at the moment but it was a great investment. The same with 22 LR ammo, last spring I bought 100 packs of Winchester Super X 40 gr HP ammo for $5.99 per hundred with a $5.00 per pack rebate - Yep, 22 LR for a penny each.

Our shopping mentality in this country has become like European society - buy only what you need for now and go buy more in a couple of days. That is poor thinking no matter what the commodity, whether it is toilet paper or ammo.

For those of you who are not familiar with it take a moment to read Aesop's fable of the ant and grasshopper
https://fablesofaesop.com/the-ant-and-the-grasshopper.html

drover
I know where to buy ammo. You've really got to get up off your wallet to pay for it, though.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
So, anyone who has seen this crap happen repeatedly and takes steps long beforehand to not get caught short again is a hoarder.

Anyone who goes out to buy something he needs and has a chance to buy a little extra so he won’t have to go on the prowl for more in a month or so is selfish.

Whadya call someone who keeps letting the same predictable situation bite him in the azz over and over and over, and thinks the solution is to call sensible people names?

Anybody who's seen this happen before should not be contributing to the shortage now. I haven't bought any ammo at all in 2020 yet there is no shortage at my house. In fact my heirs will probably inherit several years worth of ammo along with the guns.
It's real. It's hard to find, prices are inflated....yes, it's real. Producers are behind.

Since covid started back in the spring I've been home a lot more and I shot A LOT more. I shot a lot to begin with. None of it spray and pray I rarely fire over 3 shots quickly. Someone mentioned 200 rounds a week, that's not even a day if you count rimfire. I like to shoot and have a 300 yard range out my door (I have to travel to shoot longer).

Now is the time of year I shoot very little because I'm hunting....so it's not as big of a deal to cut back, I do it naturally now. It's just to verify and dry a bore after hunting in the rain....but Spring is around the corner.

Well, it’s easy to dream up an imaginary character to support your arguments, ain’t it?

How many shortages have we experienced the past 30 years and still the unprepared blame others?

A year ago ammo was cheap and plentiful and everyone knew an election was coming up and that Dems would create a fake crisis
Originally Posted by luv2safari

We are seeing this in our local USPSA club matches. In the past year (even before COVID and the elections), we've had a lot of new shooters getting involved in the sport. Just when they have gotten really excited about it and having fun, now they are having a hard time participating because of the lack of ammo and the cost even if they find some.

We typically shoot 250-300 rds in a match and have 2 matches a month. For someone who isn't reloading yet (or just got started and can't get the supplies anymore), that is hard to do in this environment. So, I feel for those guys. For the ones who show up all the time, really help out with setup/tear down of stages etc, us old timers (in terms of doing this for a while, not necessarily age) have been rounding up resources to help them out and keep them going as much as possible.
I hit a couple places last night just to see how bad it was locally. The shelves were more bare than the worst of the obama years.
Thankfully I’ve got enough to last the rest of my life if need be, but I could still use a little more. I did find one box of 12 gauge 00 buck, so I picked that up because it’s something previously I didn’t think I needed much of.
Handgun ammo gone except a few obscure calibers on the shelf. Rifle ammo really picked over unless you needed 7/08 or 32 special. Even the shotgun ammo shelves were the lowest inventory I’ve ever seen. Not a primer in sight except for a couple hundred 209’s.
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Anybody who's seen this happen before should not be contributing to the shortage now. I haven't bought any ammo at all in 2020 yet there is no shortage at my house. In fact my heirs will probably inherit several years worth of ammo along with the guns.

Not buying anything just to have it. Will continue to buy stuff I use when I can find it and stuff I want to try, i.e. new powders and bullets. With few exceptions, shotshells, 9mm, and RF, I load everything I shoot.

What took you so long?

Faith.

They're not imaginary characters.

renegade50 (not that I care, just using him as an example) posts on here about rounding up 9mm all the time.

He's a recreational shooter. He's not shooting three USPSA matches a month and practicing in between.

He buys it to buy it. And there are thousands of renengades out there.
There's no evidence of a shortage.
I wish I could have afforded more towards hoarding when the hoarding was easy.

Im saving for a testicle reduction surgery. Dr Kenneth Noisewater is getting pretty sassy.

I know you're not calling me names, because I'm not whining and I'm not buying ammo..... Simply made an observation of what I've seen. Panic buying is contagious and exacerbates the problem. Same thing with TP, meat, and whatever else has been in short supply in 2020
Originally Posted by BtailHunter

From an investment standpoint it makes sense. Buy a box for $40, sell it for $44 six months later and you make 10%.

No, I can still get it for $16 a box at the feed store, that's what makes sense
Since the prudent accumulation of ammunition/components is not only wise, but laudable, why do so many people feel the need to spend so much time defending it?
Originally Posted by night_owl
Now that's funny!
LOL, this is funny stuff. Ammo scavengers, rats, whatever....short term plans suck most days. Another tack is to not throw stuff away, but recycle instead. Last conventional brass I bought was about 5 years back and before that maybe 10 years or so. Damn if it don't still shoot. Over and over and over again. New Green Deal I say!

-HINT-

Just a few of my kid toys. The ones on the right are certified for crowd control. Well, so are the others, but you might have to bust a few extra primers.

And you gotta be creative I tell ya...

Other than the brass shell on the left the smallest caliber here is .50. Don't be intimidated by .56, it won't hurt long, I promise.

And don't think just 'cause you're 500 yards away it's a good idea to flip me off.

Best explanation ever...

Yes it is. And there are other options.

I don't shoot except for hunting purposes, so as little as 3 rounds per year per rifle is "enough". A box or two if wringing something out. Then it's back to "as little as 3". One to check zero, 2 for the critter. Maybe only one....but I like insurance head shots from a few yards away. There have been occasions, tho....

I have several rifles, only two (excluding .22) in the same caliber. I likely have enough components, reloaded ammo, and factory ammo to last me the rest of my hunting life. I may run out for any particular rifle or caliber, but I have backups. Like the .338WM RU77. I have nearly 40 rounds of 250 gr Hornady RN reloads, MOA. Sighted in. Loaded 'em up as not-worked-up junk loads to get rid of - whoops! - too good for that! Haven't shot the rifle in 10 years or so. That alone should carry me for the next 5 if I use it exclusively. And I have at least 100 or so bullets in other weights for reloading if I need it, all of which I have data for already. If I can find it. That's another 5-10 years or so, minimum. I'm good.... But I might change scopes.....that will entail a few extra rounds.

That said, I too feel the urge to buy when these "shortages" hit. I usually don't, but that plastic slides out awful easy. I can wait, or do without. I have to keep telling myself that..... I will buy a few more pounds of powder first chance I get. I have only 2 of IMR 4350, and 3 of 2878, if I recall the # right, and both are versatile for hunting purposes in my calibers. Haven't reloaded anything at all in 10 years or so....

I had a couple Cabela's gift cards to burn a few weeks ago - went into the Anc. store. Shelves 2/3 empty. Nothing in components or live ammo that I would use in .243, 260, 30-30, 30-06, 7X57, or .338. Only the exotic stuff - Lapau, Rem. Ultra Mag, Wby. , that kinda crap. And some few boxes of ridiculously priced Premiums in various calibers. Ended up buying a couple electronic ear muffs and a candy bar, with 68 cents left over.

Same is true in the local Sportsman's Warehouse.

However, I do have ammo, and some bullets, acquired incidentally over the years, more or less by accident (people keep dying on me) for which I am not chambered. I might have to buy some rifle barrels, and fool the hoarders..... smile. I

'm not getting rid of the couple hundred 7 Mag rounds I have. A barrel would go on that current 338 receiver real easy. I have all the tools for the swaps already. 10 rounds for sight in, and I'd be good for years. Or I could pull the bullets and use them in the 7X57. Powder too.

I may screw on a factory "in-stock" take-off 270 bbl on the "Stub" RU77 '06 if I get time this winter to see if it shoots.. Take it back from 17 inch "carbine" to standard length bbl. Make it a little kinder on the ears and recoil.... I have several hundred rounds of 270, and that will make me no-two-rifles chambered the same. Easier on the 30 cal supply, and one more caliber reserve arrow. In case I get short somewhere... smile

Or I could buy $1000-$2000 (250-500 rounds) of the available exotic-crap ammo, AND a rifle chambered for it. As if I needed another one. But then I'd "need" dies, and more components..... Nah - that's for rich looneys.

I need to go thru what inventory I do have and record it, by caliber, so I know what to jump on in due time, as available...... smile

If it gets real tough, I have a couple ML, and 40 lbs of lead. Need to stock more powder and primers, tho, and molds.

I know you're not calling me names, because I'm not whining and I'm not buying ammo.....
Simply made an observation of what I've seen. Panic buying is contagious and exacerbates the problem. Same thing with TP, meat, and whatever else has been in short supply in 2020

No, I’m not.

I haven’t witnessed anything I could call panic buying myself, just perhaps the aftermath. I’ve been buying stuff in bulk for years to reduce the need to travel to the store. Now with the Plague, I go to the grocery store maybe twice a month or less to reduce my chances of catching it. I buy enough to last until the next trip, but I also have some reserves, just as I’ve always had because it’s prudent. Waiting until you’re totally out of anything of importance is foolish, and running to the store all the time is wasteful, and now a little risky.

But this is about ammo, and for the most part it’s about ammo for recreational shooting. For whatever reason, some have failed to learn from the past and are caught short again. The name-calling began with that bunch: Hoarder, Greedy, etc, and I’ve gotten tired of hearing it when their situation could’ve been easily avoided with a little (here’s that word again) prudence on their part. Not only would they not be in the plight they are, but there would be less demand on current supplies and production.

I can sympathize a bit with those who finally realized that they need some protection and didn’t know what would happen in a crisis. I’d even help them out a bit if I could, just like I’d give them a little TP so they wouldn’t have to use their socks.
It’s real...

The bottom line is none of the manufacturers, distributors or retailers planned for this. The pandemic, the civil unrest, the first time buyers and the hoarders. Inventories were depleted at every level and they simply can’t produce components fast enough to catch up, fill backorders and meet consumer demand.

It’s gonna get worse.
I can sympathize a bit with those who finally realized that they need some protection and didn’t know what would happen in a crisis. I’d even help them out a bit if I could, just like I’d give them a little TP so they wouldn’t have to use their socks.

This is just in the downstairs utility room. I have more in the bathrooms and basement. Life is too short to wipe your ass with socks. smile

"Where never is heard-
an encouraging word..."
My dad told me when I was 16 yrs. old to spend 20 bucks out of every paycheck to buy ammo or reloading supplies and have been doing it ever since, so I think I'm good

This is just in the downstairs utility room. I have more in the bathrooms and basement. Life is too short to wipe your ass with socks. smile

that is disgusting
Depends OldHat.. You got ammo? Yes? Ain't short!

Them that don't got ammo are suffering the real shortage.

Cheaper Than Dirt has plenty.
There isn't a lot of excess capacity in the system when things are normal. All it takes is a blip in sales and there's a shortage. Think about it. You build facilities according to normal demand. Just like you don't build a 5 car garage if you only own 2 "just in case". It's a waste of money.
Originally Posted by sse

that is disgusting

Ya' think that's sick, you oughtta see the stacks of .22LR & .223 in my gun room. blush

renegade50 (not that I care, just using him as an example) posts on here about rounding up 9mm all the time.

He's a recreational shooter. He's not shooting three USPSA matches a month and practicing in between.

Maybe, maybe not, but how much effect those guys have on the overall situation now is debatable. A year ago ammo was cheap and plentiful. If renegade and others like him hadn’t bought what they did then, do you really think that ammo would really be still on the shelf? Doubtful. More likely it’d be on GB for $2 a round. Those guys plan for this stuff.

About a year ago I bought my first 9mm. Bought some Fiocchi ball, liked it, and bought some of their HPs as well. When I went to buy some more ball for practice, it wasn’t available, so I started looking for something else, and definitely didn’t want to buy dollar a pop premium for that. Only ball I could find was 1,000 round packs of Winchester white box, so I ordered one. Would of settled for a few 50-round boxes, but there weren’t any. Out of curiousness, I checked that source soon after, and it was gone, maybe to someone like me, but just as likely to someone hoping to flip it, or maybe renegade50. In that case to buy what I needed, I had to buy more than I needed, and buy it I did.
Not disgusting, rather a mental illness. OCD perhaps ?
Not disgusting, rather a mental illness. OCD perhaps ?

Aren’t you GLOCKDOOFUS’s sock pup?

I bet there is 270 ammo in the cabinets. LOL

Im saving for a testicle reduction surgery. Dr Kenneth Noisewater is getting pretty sassy.

Save your coin. Book a trip to the Congo. They introduced a vegetarian Piranha (or so they thought) and turns out it dines on human genitalia. No kidding. It’ll hurt I’m sure but you’ll have more ammo funds.

Gotta wonder if he has enough food on hand to generate the “target” for all that buttfloss. Need to have a balanced approach, lest you end up eating the Charmin.
Originally Posted by gregintenn

Cheaper Than Dirt has plenty.

And I'm not even sure that Midway has a box of anything currently

Well I know there's not in mine. I'm still looking for 270

Gotta wonder if he has enough food on hand to generate the “target” for all that buttfloss. Need to have a balanced approach, lest you end up eating the Charmin.

Me and the boys have 5 deer in the freezer so far this year, and Kansas rifle season hasn't even opened up yet. wink

Stacked right alongside the 6.5 Creedmoor. grin

I know you're not calling me names, because I'm not whining and I'm not buying ammo..... Simply made an observation of what I've seen. Panic buying is contagious and exacerbates the problem. Same thing with TP, meat, and whatever else has been in short supply in 2020

Have never panic bought ammo . My ammo supply is such that I feel comfortable in spite of market conditions. My LEO brother says he's coming to my house if SHTF.

For people who do not shoot, they will never shoot a magazine full at another person in their entire life. If they buy 50 rounds at a scalper price for $100, it should not matter. What's the problem there?
Glad I stocked up on supplies a few years ago. You can’t have too much.
No issues here in Northern Colorado. I don't buy factory ammo but anything I WOULD buy is generally in stock, with a few box limit.

Powder, primers, etc are all pretty readily available.

My household shoots...... A LOT. But we have no problem buying more components than we shoot.
My family has just quit shooting. If you can't replace what you have, keep what you got. We'll make an exception today and probably run through a 1k rounds after dinner.
Do those that hoard just not shoot what they hoard? As in they buy it, hold on to it, and never shoot it? I get the sense that is not uncommon with the "hoarders", which to me is irrational.

If you looked at my stash, you'd probably think I'm a hoarder but I don't consider myself one. I shoot a lot and keep inventory to ride out spikes in short demand. I'll say that this shortage has changed my shooting habits though, because I don't know when the insanity will end.

I'm also not opposed to selling off what I've got. When 500rd boxes of 9mm NATO are going for over $400... hard not to pass that up.
Ammunition seems cheap to me. Even with the recent high prices. What do you replace it with?
Ammunition seems cheap to me. Even with the recent high prices. What do you replace it with?
Originally Posted by 79S

I got you covered. FTF trade only....

I've not thought about this before but I need to research the laws on mineral rights, etc....concerning lead. There's a massive lead deposit at one location on my property. Can .gov come take it?
Originally Posted by duck911
No issues here in Northern Colorado. I don't buy factory ammo but anything I WOULD buy is generally in stock, with a few box limit.

My household shoots...... A LOT. But we have no problem buying more components than we shoot.

I smell bullsheit.
My family has just quit shooting. If you can't replace what you have, keep what you got. We'll make an exception today and probably run through a 1k rounds after dinner.

The point for me of having a good supply is so I don’t have to do that or, perish the thought, not be able to go hunting, which seems to have been a possibility for some here. Not going to sit on it. If it lasts long enough, what I shoot might be affected eventually.

Been wondering if and when there will be an effect on the nearby shooting range’s business. Since I try to go on slow days, I haven’t noticed any, but a lot of people come up from the city to shoot pistols and ARs, and most of those aren’t reloaders.
Do those that hoard just not shoot what they hoard? As in they buy it, hold on to it, and never shoot it? I get the sense that is not uncommon with the "hoarders", which to me is irrational.

If you looked at my stash, you'd probably think I'm a hoarder but I don't consider myself one. I shoot a lot and keep inventory to ride out spikes in short demand. I'll say that this shortage has changed my shooting habits though, because I don't know when the insanity will end.

I'm also not opposed to selling off what I've got. When 500rd boxes of 9mm NATO are going for over $400... hard not to pass that up.

Not a hoarder. I just stock up against shortages, regardless of cause, because 1) I like to shoot, and 2) I might need it. When there's no shortage, I shoot a lot. During shortages, I shoot a good bit less, despite having lots of ammo, because you can't replace what you shoot anymore.

It's just like the Mormon thing of maintaining a stockpile of canned and dry foods, and once you have x amount, you start using the oldest first, and then replace it, always maintaining the same amount in storage. It's just called wisdom, in my book. Not hoarding. Think of the old fable of the ant and the grasshopper.

[Linked Image from dltk-teach.com]
I have the opportunity to buy a large quantity of 22 caliber ammo, federal, Aguila. This individual Purchased over 100,000 rounds in 2016.He offered me 25K at $45 per 500 brick. I took him up on his offer, am I considered a hoarder now? I have no plans on reselling only to friends if they need it for the price I paid. I have a pretty good stash of 22 ammo but I just felt I couldn’t pass this up.

Maybe, maybe not, but how much effect those guys have on the overall situation now is debatable. A year ago ammo was cheap and plentiful. If renegade and others like him hadn’t bought what they did then, do you really think that ammo would really be still on the shelf? Doubtful. More likely it’d be on GB for $2 a round. Those guys plan for this stuff.

About a year ago I bought my first 9mm. Bought some Fiocchi ball, liked it, and bought some of their HPs as well. When I went to buy some more ball for practice, it wasn’t available, so I started looking for something else, and definitely didn’t want to buy dollar a pop premium for that. Only ball I could find was 1,000 round packs of Winchester white box, so I ordered one. Would of settled for a few 50-round boxes, but there weren’t any. Out of curiousness, I checked that source soon after, and it was gone, maybe to someone like me, but just as likely to someone hoping to flip it, or maybe renegade50. In that case to buy what I needed, I had to buy more than I needed, and buy it I did.

Uhhh, what?

LOL
Still got the chuckles about this topic. Separating the haves from have nots isn’t difficult. I’ve done my share to help those without, but admit I’m not their Savior. Learned something from the idiot presidents we’ve had in the ‘92-‘16 timeline I did. Bought a couple boxes of ammo for a LCP about 18 years ago and a couple bricks of SK .22 LR maybe 5 years ago that complimented previously purchased RF ammo. Don’t plink with the WRF shooter or the WMR....or the rest for that matter. I do kill stuff, repeatedly, and know which rifle does what, and how far etc. Haven’t purchased any CF ammo other than for the LCP in over 20 years, including scattergun fodder.

My inventory of brass, bullets, powder and lead will last for decades. I live in a region that likely has more firearms per capita than Ft. Bragg and near 100% of the owners are staunch conservatives. Most of them are veterans, older men and some ladies you don’t want to irritate. A great many are reloaders and have flush inventories such as mine. We will help the younger kids who have not yet learned about life’s pitfalls.
I have the opportunity to buy a large quantity of 22 caliber ammo, federal, Aguila. This individual Purchased over 100,000 rounds in 2016.He offered me 25K at $45 per 500 brick. I took him up on his offer, am I considered a hoarder now? I have no plans on reselling only to friends if they need it for the price I paid. I have a pretty good stash of 22 ammo but I just felt I couldn’t pass this up.

boy did you get reamed.

Uhhh, what?

LOL

Go RenFiddy!

LOL
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

boy did you get reamed.

I hope they used KY on you

LOL
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

boy did you get reamed.

I hope they used KY on you

LOL

I don’t think so, I could always sell it on GunBroker for twice with what I paid for it....
Okay, let me explain it again for the IPA crowd....

r50 and his sort didn’t make this mess, politics and the Plague did. Their little piles wouldn’t make a tiny dent in current demand. On the other hand, Cheaper Than Dirt has lots of ammo for sale, at 3 or 4 times regular price. You can speculate that they went all out to find ammo for their customers and paid a high price for it, or you can use your head and remember that they scalped ammo the same way in the past, and laid in a bunch for the crisis they knew was coming so they could make a huge profit by fugging their customers again.

I’m picking door number 2, and bet their stockpiles have a far greater impact on the problem than the ammo junkies and Walmart scroungers.

Not a hoarder. I just stock up against shortages, regardless of cause, because 1) I like to shoot, and 2) I might need it. When there's no shortage, I shoot a lot. During shortages, I shoot a good bit less, despite having lots of ammo, because you can't replace what you shoot anymore.

It's just like the Mormon thing of maintaining a stockpile of canned and dry foods, and once you have x amount, you start using the oldest first, and then replace it, always maintaining the same amount in storage. It's just called wisdom, in my book. Not hoarding. Think of the old fable of the ant and the grasshopper.

I'd place you in the same category that I place myself.... the ammo we have will be used. It's just a matter of time.

I'm just curious how many are hoarding ammo they'll never actually shoot.

Case in point, I have an acquaintance who never shoots, now all of a sudden wants to pile up ammo and guns. They're convinced that violence is an inevitability. They'll never shoot what they purchase though and frankly, I'd be surprised if they even hit the range once. I'd be surprised if they could even perform the basic operations needed to use their guns, under admin range conditions, let alone under the duress of a life threatening situation.

That example of hoarding is irrational to me and I'm just curious how wide spread that is. And I'm not even saying I have a problem with it... I just don't understand it.
Picking up a box or two as the budget allows works for me. Buying some fishing lures...pick up a box of ammo while I'm here. Checking on camping stuff...add another box. Sometimes you can find a good deal here and there.

I know it's cheaper in the long run to buy larger quantities at discount. The larger initial outlay of cash is a concern too.

Whatever path someone chooses doesn't change the fact for me is I don't want to pay black market prices at a retail establishment.
No issues here in Northern Colorado. . . .

Who is selling primers by the brick? Thanks.
No issues here in Northern Colorado. . . .

Who is selling primers by the brick? Thanks.

He's full of [bleep]. FYI
was no shortage at my house...

but I gave it all away since Biden got 'elected'... along with KalamamaDingDong...

Gave the few guns I had to the local PD to destroy and am now a DemocRAT....

Took down the Trump Flag, and put a Rainbow LBGTxwyz Flag in the front yard...

dyed my wife's poodle's hair pink....
Always thought civilian ammo was just a byproduct of military ammo manufacture. Could it be that so much ammo being manufactured for military purpose is putting civilian ammo on the back burner?

^^^Full of fugking schit. ^^^
ROFLMAO
Around here there's more toilet paper than ammo. Which is saying much since we're lucky to see the generic two ply.

200 bricks at $45 a piece is $9,000 in 22 ammo. Yo can almost get a new Barrett for that.

I hope he's careful with the BBQ.
Since the prudent accumulation of ammunition/components is not only wise, but laudable, why do so many people feel the need to spend so much time defending it?

Because this is the internet.

[Linked Image from imgs.xkcd.com]

Makes sense to me.

200 bricks at $45 a piece is $9,000 in 22 ammo. Yo can almost get a new Barrett for that.

Uh, isn’t 25,000 50 bricks, not 200? He ain’t selling all the original 100k. Depending on which Fed and Aguila ammo it is, that might not be a bad price at .09 a pop. Wouldn’t pay that for Fed bulk, but then I’m not out. Aguila is pretty good in general; don’t recall any FTFs with any of it.

Because this is the internet.

[Linked Image from imgs.xkcd.com]

😛

Uh, isn’t 25,000 50 bricks, not 200? He ain’t selling all the original 100k. Depending on which Fed and Aguila ammo it is, that might not be a bad price at .09 a pop. Wouldn’t pay that for Fed bulk, but then I’m not out. Aguila is pretty good in general; don’t recall any FTFs with any of it.

LOL

Federal game-shok long rifle 40 grain copper plated solid MV 1240 10-50 rd boxes to a brick,blue box... Aguila Super extra hollow point 38 grain MV 1280 10-50 rd Boxes to a brick..No shipping no tax, tried both Ammo in my Taurus TX 22, Ruger 22 lite and a Ruger 1022, Accurate reliable.I have no reservations of it functioning in Any of my other 22s I’ve shot this ammo before no issues.

Uh, isn’t 25,000 50 bricks, not 200? He ain’t selling all the original 100k.

Yes, I know.
Hey, I you want it, and can't get it, it's a shortage.

Was told that the components to manufacture the ammunition are running way behind the capacity to produce and put out on the market.

The big volume sellers get priority.
© 24hourcampfire