H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by 458Win
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
Mmm hmm, you shot a rifle at -40*.?

I call bullpucky on that one.

Steel don't like mass pressure at -40* there buckwheat.

That is an old wife's tale ! I don't know how many stainless steel Ruger mini-14's there are riding on snow machines and dog sled that are regularly used well below -40 !

The difference between -40 and +60 is only 100 degrees. Barrel steel will be tempered at around 1100 degrees. When they are exposed to cryogenics to align grain structure in the barrel steel it is placed in liquid Nitrogen for a period of several hours at about 300 below zero.

40 below isn’t something barrel steel is going to recognize.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by mart
It’s a bit comical to get called out on shooting in extreme arctic conditions by someone who lives where they’ve rarely ever seen a frost.

Well said. Apparently he never spent any time hunting in Barrow Ak. Or had a rifle at Dead Horse, not to mention Tok, Fairbanks, and various other places. Would probably catch a cold. I wouldn't have been able to get my Caribou in Barrow if my Ruger Mk II with Zytel stock was such a wimp. laugh

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
Researching the perfect Alaska hunting rifle I have learned that my OEM synthetic stock might just shatter in the Alaska cold, and that I should consider an upgrade. Is this just more innernet BS? My particular stock in question is either a Hogue or a paddle stock on a MK II Ruger.

Thanks in advance!

I’m late to the party, but the coherent posts have let you know that it’s BS.

At one time no one would pour concrete foundations in Fairbanks, believing the concrete would turn to powder and crumble in the -50* cold. Also not true.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by VernAK
A few years back, two of us went on a winter cow moose hunt.70 miles in by sno-go we set the wall tent and wood stove.
After camp was set, we put dinner on the stove and tried to pour a nice sundowner but the Crown Royal wouldn't pour.....froze.
How cold was that?......damned cold. The next morning we harvested our cows and headed home with no thought to rifle
metallurgy.

You’re lucky it froze. I’m sure you’re aware that one can damage their esophagus drinking liquids that cold.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by mart
It’s a bit comical to get called out on shooting in extreme arctic conditions by someone who lives where they’ve rarely ever seen a frost.

Like the bear gun advice from folks who have never seen one! wink

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K

I used to go caribou hunting in Ambler with my wood stocked Remington 788 in 22-250 when it was -45F with constant 40-50 mph wind. The gun would work fine but the caribou would freeze solid so you threw them in the basketsled and haul them to the school's machine shop for processing. Locals would stack them in strange positions. I will never forget four caribou sat in chairs with an empty bootleg bottle of R+R and hands of cards froze to their hooves. I figured out the guy had one of those dogs playing poker posters. You can get some interesting malfunctions on scopes, mounts, triggers and freezing firing pins if you take them out and them haul them back into your house. The moisture and heat inside the house really messes with them. Now I don't know what a carbon fiber compound bow might do if you shot it at -50F but most rifles are fine.

Last edited by kaboku68; 11/29/20.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by VernAK
A few years back, two of us went on a winter cow moose hunt.70 miles in by sno-go we set the wall tent and wood stove.
After camp was set, we put dinner on the stove and tried to pour a nice sundowner but the Crown Royal wouldn't pour.....froze.
How cold was that?......damned cold. The next morning we harvested our cows and headed home with no thought to rifle
metallurgy.

You’re lucky it froze. I’m sure you’re aware that one can damage their esophagus drinking liquids that cold.

True statement. I used to do SAR/Medevac in Western AK. We had a case where a guy in a (dry) village took a swig of vodka that was left outside while it was -40 ish. His esophagus swelled up, and he had to have a tracheaotomy done by the local clinic nurse (he was lucky that they had a staffed clinic- a lot of villages don't). We helicoptered him to Nome, where he got a jet ride to Anchorage.

Oh, and I've shot rifles at -40... no issues, just keep them dry (lube).

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Yup. Some will have a nip to “warm” themselves. Also, usually not realizing that the temporary warmth they perceive is dilating blood vessels accelerating heat loss.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
The OP's question was about his stock in the extreme cold. I really doubt anyone not very accustomed to extreme cold is going to want to spend much time outdoors shooting a rifle in it, so I am inclined to say "don't worry about it."

But I once saw an expensive (plastic) suitcase get dropped off a tailgate after being in minus 50 for about an hour, and and the thing shattered in a thousand pieces. So I guess if I was really serious about shooting in 25 below I would try to find out what that particular stock material will take.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i left an AR-10 chambered in a 243 WIN. this AR had a Nightforce scope attached ,so i left this AR outside at my cabin it was -30 below for 12 hours then shot rifle still hit target well at 300yards and empty case ejected just fine so i shot the AR-10 again and it still shot well and ejected the empty case. i was testing this rifle AR10 /243 Win. for future coyote hunting in the cold . My test was done by the Canadian border in Northern Minnesota it gets dang cold up there.

Last edited by pete53; 11/30/20.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M

First, why are you putting an asterisk behind -40?

Second, you are full of bullpucky. I have lived in Montana for over 60 years, and have shot rifles at -40 several times with zero problems.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hi Dwayne,

Saw this in your first post here: "I want to say the coldest day I shot was more or less -42° though I can't recall whether I'd converted to Celsius by then or not....."

One interesting bit of trivia is that -40 is where Fahrenheit and Celsius coincide.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sometimes I hunt in Saskatchewan or Alberta in late November. I noticed the power selection ring on my Zeiss Conquest scope gets stuck and can't be turned when it is about -20f. I'm wondering if this is common among all brands of scopes or some unaffected by extreme cold?
Thanks in advance

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Dans40X

Remington6mm,
Energize some sort of grey matter before stating your ignorance.

LOL. Thats asking for a miracle from him.

Hope all is well with you Dan.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Hi Dwayne,

Saw this in your first post here: "I want to say the coldest day I shot was more or less -42° though I can't recall whether I'd converted to Celsius by then or not....."

One interesting bit of trivia is that -40 is where Fahrenheit and Celsius coincide.

And thats what I was thinking I learned first of last winter.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Long ways from -25 to -40*.

I can do math. And not really....

I may be crazy, but I'm not completely stupid. Emphasis on completely.

Nor have I ever needed meat that badly. In younger days out of Pt Hope, and Barrow, i liimited my winter hunts to no colder than -30. In due time, I got older, but not ncessarily smarter. Much of my hunting was done solo, and there are a lot of more important things to worry about in remote country cold temps than a non-existant problem of guns exploding from cold.

The 2010-2018 period in Kotebue I wussed out and made it no colder than -15. Temps colder than that are best used to watch the sun dogs snarling and the snow blowing, over the steam of a hot buttered rum. smile

Last edited by las; 11/30/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In the early days in Prudhoe they used czst steel pipe wrenches in big sizes, like 48". In deep cold they would often shatter when "clanged" together. They started buying aluminum...

I have shot quite a bit in cold weather...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Wow. Guess all those rifles, pistols, machine guns, mortars, howitzers and tank cannons and whatever else we fired at -40F were just imaginary? Firing a rifle at -40F is not just ok, it's within the REQUIRED operating range for US military weapons. Yes, I did spend some time at the Army Cold Regions Test Center at FT Greely AK. And no, the steel alloys in military rifles ain't that much different that commercial sporting rifles.

Oh year, no issues with plastic stocks either. But some stuff they tried to use LCD displays on were a complete failure well before -40F.

Last edited by MikeL2; 11/30/20.
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Like many others who have responded here I am shocked and stunned that I survived the discharge of rifles in -30 to -40 C ...... but thanks to Remington6mm I know better than to risk my wellbeing in the future by such uninformed choices.

Please note sarcasm font in use above.

Sarcasm font off. Wishing everyone a wonderful day.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I spent 3 years in AK. my rifle was a Rem 721 3006 with a 4 power weaver scope... never a lick of trouble with it,, I always got within 100 yds of any thing I wanted to shoot...

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (1234, 007FJ, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,415
Posts18,470,496
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.