Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I need popcorn this is better then TV

At some point my hobbies became my life.
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by ErichTheRed
I need popcorn this is better then TV

Anything is better than TV........

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks Dwayne, hope you are all doing well too!

Loved this: "One thing I'm dead certain of is that deep winter cold can come any time it feels like on the prairies after about the second week of October."

The coldest place I've lived and hunted was the northeastern corner of Montana, which is definitely prairie, with an hour's drive of both North Dakota and Saskatchewan. One winter day got to at least -50 F. below; the local thermometers ranged down to -58. That was damn cold--but that day was absolutely still.

The coldest day during that so-called "cold snap" was around -40--but with winds from 30-40 mph. Talk about wind chill!

Good hunting,
John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by szihn
It gets -40 here too occasionally (very rarely) and I never had any such problems with any of my firearms in the cold. I don't go out shooting much at those temps however, but I do have firearms in the truck bed held in clamps on the roll bar, and I have used them to kill coyotes and sometimes a cow if they needed to be put down. I use Mobile 1 full synthetic 90% mixed 10% ATF for all my guns. I have not found anything that works better so far. From as cold as it gets to as hot as it gets in Wyoming, my guns have always worked. Any guns that I'd worry about are not guns I keep. The one that gets the most "outside carry" is an AK47 and it's been 100% reliable in every case I ever fired it. No jams, no misfires and no malfunctions of any kind ..........ever.

When I was a younger man (much younger man) I was a Marine in Force Recon and we did train in ALL KINDS of conditions. The coldest place I ever trained in was north of Ft Greeley in a combined Army, Air Force and Marine Corp operation, or the time we cross-trained with the Canadian Army in northern Yukon. We fired M60s and M16s and the Canadians fired MAG machine Guns and FALs (C1s I think they called them) It was early February north of Ft Greeley, and it was December/January with the Canadians. Keeping the weapons dry lubed was important, but no breakages were reported that I know of. In Yukon I don't know how cold it was, but it was going from -55 to -67 in the Ft Greeley Op. It was about the same in Yukon.

So the idea that the guns would break is not something I would tend to believe. All of them had plastic stocks, hand-guards and grips. And our M16s were made of Aluminum too. If you get them wet from heating up and melting some snow on them it's important to get them blown out so they don't cool and clog with ice. So using weapons in such cold conditions is something you have to learn about, but breaking them was not what we saw. I never did anyway.........

Lubes were used but their main function was to keep the ice from adhering. The Canadians brought a cold weather oil which I think was an automatic transmission fluid. A light coat and the ice could be shoved off the metal. It would not grab the steel. The US Army had some kind of cold weather lube, (not LSA bus something with 3 letters. I can't remember what it was called now) and it seemed to work somewhat, but not as well as what the Canadians give us. One Candida soldier told me it was not something made for firearms, but was what they got from their truckers. It was pink in color.

If I was to guess a BRIM FROST exercise in about 1986 would I be close?

Some rules of thumb we used to live by:
- Fun stops at about -20
- Schitt really breaks at an accelerated rate at -30
- Overflow sucks and can be a stone cold killer
- Every object you’re run into at extreme cold temperatures is hard as a rock. Doing that at just about any speed can end your life (think frozen trees/staubs in a river)

Epstein didn’t kill himself

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I'll bet most people in lower 48 don't even know what overflow is.
I had never heard of it until I moved to Alaska.
And strange thing is I never hunt caribou during the fall hunt. I prefer -20-/-25 late winter on the Taylor Hwy. A person can spend a month up there and not see another person. No bugs, no heat. Just quiet.....

At some point my hobbies became my life.
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by MikeL2
It gets -40 here too occasionally (very rarely) and I never had any such problems with any of my firearms in the cold. I don't go out shooting much at those temps however, but I do have firearms in the truck bed held in clamps on the roll bar, and I have used them to kill coyotes and sometimes a cow if they needed to be put down. I use Mobile 1 full synthetic 90% mixed 10% ATF for all my guns. I have not found anything that works better so far. From as cold as it gets to as hot as it gets in Wyoming, my guns have always worked. Any guns that I'd worry about are not guns I keep. The one that gets the most "outside carry" is an AK47 and it's been 100% reliable in every case I ever fired it. No jams, no misfires and no malfunctions of any kind ..........ever.

When I was a younger man (much younger man) I was a Marine in Force Recon and we did train in ALL KINDS of conditions. The coldest place I ever trained in was north of Ft Greeley in a combined Army, Air Force and Marine Corp operation, or the time we cross-trained with the Canadian Army in northern Yukon. We fired M60s and M16s and the Canadians fired MAG machine Guns and FALs (C1s I think they called them) It was early February north of Ft Greeley, and it was December/January with the Canadians. Keeping the weapons dry lubed was important, but no breakages were reported that I know of. In Yukon I don't know how cold it was, but it was going from -55 to -67 in the Ft Greeley Op. It was about the same in Yukon.

So the idea that the guns would break is not something I would tend to believe. All of them had plastic stocks, hand-guards and grips. And our M16s were made of Aluminum too. If you get them wet from heating up and melting some snow on them it's important to get them blown out so they don't cool and clog with ice. So using weapons in such cold conditions is something you have to learn about, but breaking them was not what we saw. I never did anyway.........

Lubes were used but their main function was to keep the ice from adhering. The Canadians brought a cold weather oil which I think was an automatic transmission fluid. A light coat and the ice could be shoved off the metal. It would not grab the steel. The US Army had some kind of cold weather lube, (not LSA bus something with 3 letters. I can't remember what it was called now) and it seemed to work somewhat, but not as well as what the Canadians give us. One Candida soldier told me it was not something made for firearms, but was what they got from their truckers. It was pink in color.

Lubricant Arctic Weight (LAW)

I never been able to find that stuff, probably have it wainwright and greely

Completey not Army approved, but we used LPS 1 on our M-60D's when door gunning in the winter:

itwprobrands.com/product/lps-1

I actually don't remember if we had access to LAW, but we, being an Aviation unit, had tons of other lubricants available to try (obviously CLP didn't work). Coldest temp I remember shooting in was -45 (C). Specifically that temperature because that is the low temp limit for starting or shutting down an engine or APU on the UH-60. We had to search around different military airfields to find a place to legally land and get fuel. We started at Ft. Greely, but it dropped to -50 while we were out training. Ft Wainwright reported -48, and then Eilson AFB when they understood our issue, reported -44 (wink wink). We still sat idling on the ground at Eilson for almost an hour waiting for the APU to warm up enough to start. (too many failed starts, and you get a fire out the exhaust).

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Akbob5:
Good evening to you sir, I hope that this last day of November treated you in an acceptable manner and that this finds you well.

You talked about overflow and like John's statement about Celsius and Fahrenheit meeting at -40° I knew I was familiar with something like it, but had to look it up before I responded.

My eldest sister for years was an RN in northern communities in the 3 western provinces, one of them being the oldest settlement in Saskatchewan, a little Metis and First Nations community called Cumberland House.

Of course if it was the oldest, it was a fur trading post and then again by extension it was on a river, in this case the Saskatchewan which is the combined North and South Saskatchewan at that point, so it's going pretty good and is quite wide. The interesting thing is that Cumberland House is on an island and everything going in or out of town has to cross the river.

As you can surmise, that's a sticky wicket for several months of the year until the ice is thick enough to run first snow machines, then pickups and finally semis across it.

Some years when the overflow was bad there were several locals that would go through, never to be seen again.

Anyways sir, thanks for twigging my memories of times spent up there long, long ago. All the best to you folks as the days get short and cold. may you stay well, warm and dry.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Awesome thread guys! Soaking up the knowledge here.

Coldest I've ever shot a rifle was zero degrees F. Right here in central Washington. Everything was just peachy.

But this -40 degree stuff being spoken about? Oh goodness - I'd MUCH rather be inside, tossing another log on the fire and making something warm to drink. Bless you all.

Guy

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Cascade

Coldest I've ever shot a rifle was zero degrees F. Right here in central Washington. Everything was just peachy.

But this -40 degree stuff being spoken about? Oh goodness - I'd MUCH rather be inside, tossing another log on the fire and making something warm to drink. Bless you all.

Guy

Its all realative to what you are used to. I've been used to below 0 temps for months, and when we were out riding our snowmachines, it got so hot that we stripped down to hoodies... it had gotten up to +25 and felt like summer.

Conversely, I was working day shift in Iraq one lovely summer. I switched to night shift, and I remember sitting outside smoking an Iraqi Bazaar couterfeit Marlboro at about 2 in the AM. The breeze picked up and I was sitting on my hands... kinda chilly... I looked up, and it was 98 on the thermometer.

The body gets acclimated in a few months.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by LoadClear

Guy

Its all realative to what you are used to. I've been used to below 0 temps for months, and when we were out riding our snowmachines, it got so hot that we stripped down to hoodies... it had gotten up to +25 and felt like summer.

Conversely, I was working day shift in Iraq one lovely summer. I switched to night shift, and I remember sitting outside smoking an Iraqi Bazaar couterfeit Marlboro at about 2 in the AM. The breeze picked up and I was sitting on my hands... kinda chilly... I looked up, and it was 98 on the thermometer.

Absolutely true my brother. Stay safe if you’re still serving.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Random anecdote that has nothing to do with the thread, but I've had a few after work drinks, and this is the campfire, so par for the course....

Living in Alaska, people from outside always ask "what's the coldest you've ever seen?" For years, I could accurately say "-65 in Florida". Yup, I was in the McKinley Climatic Laboratory at Eglin AFB, FL which is a refrigerated hangar for testing. Inside was an (at the time) new C-130J model. They were doing engine runs in the hangar at -65 with the new Rolls Royce motors.

Later, I was sent to the lower 48 for training. It was over 6 months, so the .gov paid for me to move down there, allowing me to take my personal pickup, and household goods. It was January, 2005. I loaded up my F-150 for a trip to Mississisppi. Wanting to take my motorcycle, I borrowed my buddy's Case 580 backhoe. I needed a new battery because of the cold. I got it started, and used the bucket to load my bike in the back of the pickup. The .gov was paying for a ferry ride from Haines to Bellingham, so I had a departure time to meet at Haines. Haines is about a 12 hour drive from where I was living, so I had to leave the house about 10PM. It was roughly -25 ish at the house, and I headed northeast in the truck.

I hit Glennallen for gas, and it was -40 according to the bank sign. At the Tok cutoff, it was -72, and I heard a clunk from under the truck. I crawled under with a flashlight and saw ATF leaking from the transfer case. Not wanting to deal with it, I put it in 2WD and kept going. Made it through the border, and at Beaver Creek, it was -68. Started to Haines Junction, and heard a flapping noise from under the hood. Popped the hood, and saw that my serpentine belt was delaminating. The serpentine belt runs EVERYTHING in a 98 F-150. I nursed it along, kept the RPMs as low as possible, and made it to Haines, AK. With 2 hours to kill, I went to the Haines auto parts store... asked for a serpentine belt for a 98 F-150 with a 4.6. He looks in his computer, has a bad look on his face, then asks "Windsor or Romeo?" (engine). I tell him it's a Romeo. He looks up on the pegboard behind the counter and pulls one of the 3 belts off to hand one to me.... "there you go, that's $97.99." Holy crap, he has it. I happily paid, and changed it in the parking lot.

I take the truck to the ferry terminal, load it, then have 3 easy days of drinking the Inside Passage.

Get to Bellingham, take the truck to the Ford Dealer (truck had an extended warranty). Guy shows me back of the transfer case, and the yoke coming off the transfer case, and the rubber seal was shattered. Guy said he'd never seen anything liike it before (LOL). Fix it with a $100 deductable, and I'm on my way. 3 days later, and I'm riding my bike while visiting my Uncle in Bulverde TX at 70 degrees.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
"We used to have a name for it when the weather outside was below -40° - Damn Cold! laugh I suspect nowadays some of the younger set who've spent time in the oil patch would have even more descriptive vernacular for it."

smile In Barrow we called it "ala-damned-pa". Alapa being Inupiat for "it's cold". Spelling might be off.

I've gone into over-flow 3 times. Salt water. Dangerous stuff!

People in NW Aaska die every year going into overflow, or through the ice on rivers or lakes, or the ocean. A few years back a couple left Kotzebue headed for, I think Noatak, drunk, in the dark, underdressed, no sled or survival gear (would not have helped anyway), on one machine, and took a wrong turn on Kotzebue Sound (trails are marked with branches frozen upright into the ice). They went into the drink, either a lead or thin ice over a lead. The gal was found several months later in the summer, out of Pt Hope, nearly 200 miles north, up the coast. He was never found.

The coldest I've ever been out in (not for long!!!) was 53 below with a 50mph wind - Gusts a bit higher. Not estimates, measured. Pt. Hope.

About 65 below in calm conditions, Interior.

I like SC Alaska, thank you very much.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

Random anecdote that has nothing to do with the thread, but I've had a few after work drinks, and this is the campfire, so par for the course....

Living in Alaska, people from outside always ask "what's the coldest you've ever seen?" For years, I could accurately say "-65 in Florida". Yup, I was in the McKinley Climatic Laboratory at Eglin AFB, FL which is a refrigerated hangar for testing. Inside was an (at the time) new C-130J model. They were doing engine runs in the hangar at -65 with the new Rolls Royce motors.

Later, I was sent to the lower 48 for training. It was over 6 months, so the .gov paid for me to move down there, allowing me to take my personal pickup, and household goods. It was January, 2005. I loaded up my F-150 for a trip to Mississisppi. Wanting to take my motorcycle, I borrowed my buddy's Case 580 backhoe. I needed a new battery because of the cold. I got it started, and used the bucket to load my bike in the back of the pickup. The .gov was paying for a ferry ride from Haines to Bellingham, so I had a departure time to meet at Haines. Haines is about a 12 hour drive from where I was living, so I had to leave the house about 10PM. It was roughly -25 ish at the house, and I headed northeast in the truck.

I hit Glennallen for gas, and it was -40 according to the bank sign. At the Tok cutoff, it was -72, and I heard a clunk from under the truck. I crawled under with a flashlight and saw ATF leaking from the transfer case. Not wanting to deal with it, I put it in 2WD and kept going. Made it through the border, and at Beaver Creek, it was -68. Started to Haines Junction, and heard a flapping noise from under the hood. Popped the hood, and saw that my serpentine belt was delaminating. The serpentine belt runs EVERYTHING in a 98 F-150. I nursed it along, kept the RPMs as low as possible, and made it to Haines, AK. With 2 hours to kill, I went to the Haines auto parts store... asked for a serpentine belt for a 98 F-150 with a 4.6. He looks in his computer, has a bad look on his face, then asks "Windsor or Romeo?" (engine). I tell him it's a Romeo. He looks up on the pegboard behind the counter and pulls one of the 3 belts off to hand one to me.... "there you go, that's $97.99." Holy crap, he has it. I happily paid, and changed it in the parking lot.

I take the truck to the ferry terminal, load it, then have 3 easy days of drinking the Inside Passage.

Get to Bellingham, take the truck to the Ford Dealer (truck had an extended warranty). Guy shows me back of the transfer case, and the yoke coming off the transfer case, and the rubber seal was shattered. Guy said he'd never seen anything liike it before (LOL). Fix it with a $100 deductable, and I'm on my way. 3 days later, and I'm riding my bike while visiting my Uncle in Bulverde TX at 70 degrees.

Quite the range of temps and activity a week or so!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Only difference I ever noticed was on an old 03-A3 30-06. 150 gr bullets sighted at 60-70 degrees - shot a bit lower at -20 degrees.
Using 4064 powder. smile

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Akbob5

Guy

Absolutely true my brother. Stay safe if you’re still serving.

Thanks brother, I got out 7 years ago... now I work for a living lol.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Well, i have fired a rifle in 120 f and it didn't even melt

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I call bullpuckey on that one. People can't survive at 120 degrees.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Good firsthand information. Thanks you. 👍

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Well, i have fired a rifle in 120 f and it didn't even melt

Yeah but I woulda.....

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
Mmm hmm, you shot a rifle at -40*.?

I call bullpucky on that one.

Steel don't like mass pressure at -40* there buckwheat.

Witless in Seattle. smile

Jim

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1936M71, 1lessdog, 160user, 222Sako, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 56 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,330
Posts18,487,557
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.