Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
When the dialysis man used to come to the house, he had a dolly that would climb stairs. I think he had 300-400 lbs of supplies on that dolly. Shît stacked so high I couldnt even see him rolling it.

GB4

T
Tarkio Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Looking to swap our woodstove out for a pellet stove.

Trying to figure out how to get this woodstove moved. The walls are made of soapstone, so the stove Waze somewhere well north of 500 pounds. Sitting on four legs so it’s not really easy to use an appliance dolly.

Ideas?
Four linemen from the local football team... smile smile

My stove weighs 540 pounds.. My son and I moved it in from the back deck and next to its pad (that sits between the dining room/living room) with a hydraulic cart, then set it in place ourselves.. No biggie.

I would say 4 big men could move this stove. But I am here with a 125# son, albeit a strong one, a wife and daughter. So you have to improvise.

Montana MOFO
T
Tarkio Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Sevastopol
Originally Posted by J23
The one in my old house weighed in at over 400 lbs. Two of us hauled it in using two 2x4's. We slid two of them beneath the stove upright, similar to a floor joist, then figuring for what we needed as a handle, we cut off the excess... probably ended up around six foot each. We then each got an end, and using the "joists", lifted it and carried it in. Since the joists were no wider than the stove, we walked right through the 32" doorway, though barely.

...hard to explain, but picture two guys hauling the Ark of the Covenant into the house.

Admittedly, we moved in short increments with many breaks. Also, aside from one porch step, we never had to climb stairs.

It takes two strong, young men of similar height to do that with out getting hurt. Good on you.

2 strong men aren't moving this stove that way.

There is a world of difference between 400# and 800-900#.

I personally moved in my other stove and that weighs 425#. Had to have the neighbor help me get it picked up to sit it on the 14" high hearth. But otherwise, brough in solely. Had it figured out how to get it up on the hearth, but was alot quicker to ask the neighbor for 5 minutes of help.

So I am more than capable of getting things done.

But if you guys don't understand how much more difficult things get when you get well over 500#, then you are just trolling.

Last edited by Tarkio; 12/01/20.

Montana MOFO
T
Tarkio Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Mooner, who are you asking?

Tarkio

It is a Hearthstone.

Montana MOFO
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by J23
The one in my old house weighed in at over 400 lbs. Two of us hauled it in using two 2x4's. We slid two of them beneath the stove upright, similar to a floor joist, then figuring for what we needed as a handle, we cut off the excess... probably ended up around six foot each. We then each got an end, and using the "joists", lifted it and carried it in. Since the joists were no wider than the stove, we walked right through the 32" doorway, though barely.

...hard to explain, but picture two guys hauling the Ark of the Covenant into the house.

Admittedly, we moved in short increments with many breaks. Also, aside from one porch step, we never had to climb stairs.

It takes two strong, young men of similar height to do that with out getting hurt. Good on you.

I personally moved in my other stove and that weighs 425#. Had to have the neighbor help me get it picked up to sit it on the 14" high hearth. But otherwise, brough in solely. Had it figured out how to get it up on the hearth, but was alot quicker to ask the neighbor for 5 minutes of help.

But if you guys don't understand how much more difficult things get when you get well over 500#, then you are just trolling.

Well, you said it was north of 500, not 900.....

Anyway, try this::

https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb-aluminum-atv-motorcycle-lift-63397.html?cid=paid_google%7C%7C%7C63397&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=&utm_content=&gclid=CjwKCAiA8Jf-BRB-EiwAWDtEGq0aCDM8Odi_TUT78leY_CCrIzps3b0sA6wlCa-Ba5cb5_LE3h8EzRoC8mcQAvD_BwE

Or this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pro-Lift...vfE9Bu9bmrMmQgTUJpRdmbYBRKRoCxTYQAvD_BwE

Of course, it’d need rollers under one side, since I’m sure one side bottoms when weight are on them.

If it doesn’t work, get a refund....

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If your floor is irregular you might use something rubber tired.
Maybe use a bottle Jack out of the car to lift it high enough to set the legs or bottom on something that rolls?

How long are the stove legs?

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
T
Tarkio Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Can you bolt a 2x4 two the two legs on the narrow side.
Look at the feet. They might have a piece of flat steel and a hole.

If so, do it.

Now use a dolly.

That I considered.

The shortness of the stove creates a problem then getting leverage to tip over.

Montana MOFO
T
Tarkio Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by fburgtx
Originally Posted by J23

Well, you said it was north of 500, not 900.....

Anyway, try this::

https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb-aluminum-atv-motorcycle-lift-63397.html?cid=paid_google%7C%7C%7C63397&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=&utm_content=&gclid=CjwKCAiA8Jf-BRB-EiwAWDtEGq0aCDM8Odi_TUT78leY_CCrIzps3b0sA6wlCa-Ba5cb5_LE3h8EzRoC8mcQAvD_BwE

Or this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pro-Lift...vfE9Bu9bmrMmQgTUJpRdmbYBRKRoCxTYQAvD_BwE

Of course, it’d need rollers under one side, since I’m sure one side bottoms when weight are on them.

If it doesn’t work, get a refund....

I did consider some of those bike and atv lifts along with floor jacks. The small hard metal wheels gave me pause.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Montana MOFO
T
Tarkio Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by hanco
We use these to move equipment

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

That's what I went looking for at Harbor Freight.

Ended up with 2 flat furniture dollies with 4 casters each.

Was awkward because I has 2 legs on one dolly and 2 other legs on another dolly.

Ended up tying the dollies together with some 2x4s and then some more boards to keep the stove from shifting.

If I could post pics, I would.

Montana MOFO
T
Tarkio Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Best idea is to return the pellet stove where it is and return the pellet stove.

Can someone translate?

I'm betting his typing was going faster than his brain?

Leave the woodstove where it is and return the pellet stove.

I had considered a similar answer. When the country goes completely to scheidt I can always go out back and get wood from behind the house. Or burn the furniture legs. I've been told that doesn't work so well in a pellet stove.

Why be beholden to a retailer for your heat?

You are correct. And that is the reason I have refrained from switching these out for years.

But the reality is, it does not get used. With a pellet stove, it will be used extensively.

And I can burn corn in this also if need be.

Montana MOFO
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by joken2

I'd suggest a Piano Dolly:

[Linked Image from honeymanrentall.com]

[Linked Image from cdn.dealerspike.com]

Again, I'd suggest looking into renting / borrowing a pair of the above "Piano" dollies. Easy-Pezy to move heavy stuff with. The two short forks slide for narrow or wider load, hydraulic hand jack on both to elevate load to desired height, a ratchet strap or two secures both dollies to load. I've moved weights well over 500 pounds with them all by myself.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hire a mover, you be ahead in the long run! No scuffed floors, no broken furniture, no sprained back. I had a mover that I contacted through the safe seller move a huge gun safe into my basement for about $250.00. Well spent!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Best idea is to return the pellet stove and leave the wood burner where it is.

That's right. Only sissies, or Sister-Boys, would use a pellet stove. Real Men split oak with a Fiskars maul.
Nah - REAL men split Elm with their hands... laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've moved all kinds of heavy stuff around inside houses with a engine hoist (cherry picker).

Life is good live it while you can.
T
Tarkio Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
Best idea is to return the pellet stove where it is and return the pellet stove.

Can someone translate?

I'm betting his typing was going faster than his brain?

Leave the woodstove where it is and return the pellet stove.

I had considered a similar answer. When the country goes completely to scheidt I can always go out back and get wood from behind the house. Or burn the furniture legs. I've been told that doesn't work so well in a pellet stove.

Why be beholden to a retailer for your heat?

You are correct. And that is the reason I have refrained from switching these out for years.

But the reality is, it does not get used. With a pellet stove, it will be used extensively.

And I can burn corn in this also if need be.

Montana MOFO
T
Tarkio Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T

I'd suggest a Piano Dolly:

[Linked Image from honeymanrentall.com]

[Linked Image from cdn.dealerspike.com]

Again, I'd suggest looking into renting / borrowing a pair of the above "Piano" dollies. Easy-Pezy to move heavy stuff with. The two short forks slide for narrow or wider load, hydraulic hand jack on both to elevate load to desired height, a ratchet strap or two secures both dollies to load. I've moved weights well over 500 pounds with them all by myself.

Those look to be the cat's ass.

I will remember that next time something needs moved

Thanks

Montana MOFO
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by J23

His was 400 lbs., and I clearly quoted him, not you.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I moved a 600# gun vault in my garage by rolling it on golf balls.

T
Tarkio Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by J23

His was 400 lbs., and I clearly quoted him, not you.

Understood. I was responding to him, not you.

Sorry for the confusion.

Montana MOFO
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
beat the hell out of it with a sledge Hammer, and take it out in 5 gal buckets..

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1936M71, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 160user, 1234, 1Longbow, 58 invisible), 2,184 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,928
Posts18,479,870
Members73,953
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.