Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
That whole conversation took a weird twist.

The Cummins engine block weighs 1100 lb and the Ford V10 weighs 625 lb. There will be some front-end work required. I plan to put small lift on the vehicle anyway.

I plan to keep the Cummins under 500 horsepower so I will modify the Ford transmission with the necessary RPM reduction work and a stage two or three rebuild only.

There is the matter of length. The Cummins engine is considerably longer then the Ford V10.

I may modify the front end of the Ford to accommodate. Pull the radiator forward and build a custom bumper anyway.

Someone asked if this is a SHTF vehicle... aren't they all anymore?

My apologies for stepping away processing this mountain deer is taking longer than most.

I will continue on with pictures and details as the project happens. 90% sure it is going to happen at this point.

BGG... I want one of those knives you gave to Mr. Travis... about perfect on on size and mass... how much if I mail you half a leaf spring? Thanks in advance.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Sending PM

MAGA
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
A serious quest I see. Nothing wrong with that. Poses sincere questions.

First. The Cummins having what advantages of an already available Power stroke that's already in there. I've had some wild ideas over the years, but the easy button is always worth a look.

I do have a friend that stuffed a Cummins in a square body Chevy. Tight, not impossible, but a lot of work, for? The Ford, with the latter years of clutter would seem to be that much more complicated. Just wondering.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by gunzo

First. The Cummins having what advantages of an already available Power stroke that's already in there. I've had some wild ideas over the years, but the easy button is always worth a look.

I do have a friend that stuffed a Cummins in a square body Chevy. Tight, not impossible, but a lot of work, for? The Ford, with the latter years of clutter would seem to be that much more complicated. Just wondering.

I love a questioning mind...

Should you jump off a bridge... or should you slit your jugular?

Get back to me after you have decided.

Thanks

Last edited by CashisKing; 12/03/20. Reason: Damn phone typos

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Buy a 1 ton 4wd supercrew with 7.3 powerstroke put a topper on the box. Go to the salvage yard and buy a rear seat bolt it in the box. Any body asks you what that is for tell them for those who can't stfup or are irritating. It will work trust me, hey where do I send my consulting bill? Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by CashisKing

Thanks

Dammit man, a sincere question isn't good enough for you ? WTH.?

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C

Thanks

Dammit man, a sincere question isn't good enough for you ? WTH.?

I will take questions after you put down the crack pipe.

Reread page 1 moron

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
For your satisfaction, I reread page one. Some, no, a lot of negativity on the readers part. Honesty about the validity, post value & questions. I now come with my own questions, questions of past experience of my own & of friends & others I know.

Simple, honest questions, or so I thought. Not baiting, but your responses seem like you think I am. Let me in on it ?

Last edited by gunzo; 12/03/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I have both a 7.3 and a 12V. The 7.3 is most excellent however it does have about 12 miles of wire that it needs to work. Any hiccups in said wire and it's done.

My 12V needs a manual fuel stop opened and a rope to run. It needs absolutely nothing electric.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I always wanted a 7.3L Excursion, as I grew up with a 80s Suburban and loved going on trips in it. I had no need for 3 rows of seats and a bed was much more useful option. So I bought a supercab 7.3L, and if I ever run out of room with my current truck, I'll dig me up one of those excursions with a 444PSD. Good Luck in your endeavour and I hope you take and post many pictures to light the way for less fortunate/inclined individuals. Cheers!

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
The one wire, one fuel line needs of the 12V, I 'm on board with. Is this the no.1 attribute? Getting away from modern complications of todays vehicles ain't a bad thing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The one wire, one fuel line needs of the 12V, I 'm on board with. Is this the no.1 attribute? Getting away from modern complications of todays vehicles ain't a bad thing.

The 12v starts at zero better than a powerstroke does at 80*. There's never the need to haul around a cam sensor and the 12v can throw down 450 in stock trim pretty easy. It took me injectors, turbo work and tunes to get into the 400 club with my 7.3.

The 7.3 is a great engine and I love my excursion, but the 12v is simply better in every way.

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BTW, the 12v doesn't even need one wire. Rope or roll start it and you're ready to rock.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

why I will never get rid of mine.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by high_country_

The 12v starts at zero better than a powerstroke does at 80*. There's never the need to haul around a cam sensor and the 12v can throw down 450 in stock trim pretty easy. It took me injectors, turbo work and tunes to get into the 400 club with my 7.3.

The 7.3 is a great engine and I love my excursion, but the 12v is simply better in every way.

The biggest issue with the 12v is the stuff Chrysler bolted to it.

This includes the Dodge truck.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

Thanks

Hey, quick thought, DIPCHIT:

If you are going to post a 24HCF post, then berate and go postal on 3/4 of the people that reply, why not just PM your 3 buddies who will stroke you like you prefer?

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Higginez
Originally Posted by high_country_

The biggest issue with the 12v is the stuff Chrysler bolted to it.

This includes the Dodge truck.

While mine is a much better than average sample, I agree that the superduty is simply a better truck. If they would have put a 12v in a 99era ford....they'd have never sold another truck.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by duck911

If you are going to post a 24HCF post, then berate and go postal on 3/4 of the people that reply, why not just PM your 3 buddies who will stroke you like you prefer?

Extra sensitive in CO tonight... are your lips chapped, and is that why you got sent home early?

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
CashisKing;
Good evening to you sir, perhaps good morning already for you I see, but either way I hope that upon reading this all is as well as can be in your world.

While I'm certain your Google skills are as good as anyone's, I found this bit of tid that might be of interest to a fellow who's embarking on a task such as you are.

https://www.dieselhub.com/tech/engine-dimensions.html

As I mentioned in my post and you likely know, Dodge didn't have the front end parts figured out until at least 2008 and perhaps later than that. I've been sticking 2008 parts into the front end in our '03 whenever possible and/or larger and heavier.

The resulting truck still is front end heavy for sure however and will likely pound out u-joints on washboard roads regardless.

Since you're likely putting on a custom bumper, as mentioned that'll give you a fair bit of latitude mounting it in - Fords put the engine way too far back under the hoods to work on them as it - but then again so did the GM's so there is that too.

Anyways sir, it would be a fun project in my view and as you know and others have said, the 12V 5.9 is as good a power plant as one can put in anything other than a plane.

All the best to you as we're now into winter and official cold.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by BALLISTIK
Originally Posted by duck911

Extra sensitive in CO tonight... are your lips chapped, and is that why you got sent home early?

Actually, in a great mood, and had a great day! I hope you did too.

Cashqueen is on the rag though.

His whining gets SO fugging old, especially when he berates people to who reply to his own posts.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (10Glocks, 6mmbrfan, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 673, 10 invisible), 1,514 guests, and 667 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,977
Posts18,499,514
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.