Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Don’t reload for anyone else. smile

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Get a Lyman reloading manual and go from there. It is the most complete reloading manual. Different bullets, different powders shown for each caliber. Front of book tells you how to do things and get started.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Reload when moving wink

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Don't bother reloadin.

Have your smith get a chamber reamer made to the specs of the factory ammo you'll be shootin, and go to it.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just found this video looking for something else, and thought of this thread.
It is how I have removed the military primer crimp for years,
Except I have the drill mounted horizontal, the cutting tool off the bench and over an elevated bucket to catch the brass trimmings.
Also, I now use a Hornady primer pocket reamer, but the setup is the same

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Properly executed in two steps the case is sized on the up stroke and the neck expanded in same fashion. Do not use a full stroke with the expander. Just enough to pass through then withdraw. Doing so minimizes case distortion the asymmetric forces associated with the shell holder geometry cause.

I'm sure that works fine. But I've found that lubing the inside of the neck of a case greatly reduces the drag as it's pulled back over the expander. I usually scratch the case against the lube pad every 5 or 6 cases to scoop a little dab of case lube into the neck. One application of lube to the inside of the case neck will deposit enough lube on the expander to keep it slick for 5 or 6 cases and prevents the case from stretching as much as it's pulled over the expander.

All well and good B but removing the expander ball on resizing the case eliminates the possibility of canting the neck (the bullets steering wheel) as on the way out (as normal operation one pass sizing ), very possible to do as the press is at the top of its stroke and press tolerance could cause a canted neck. By just expanding in a separate operation the expander ball sizes on the down stroke and only needs to just pass through the neck . A dial indicated run out gauge lets you know if your equipment needs this or not. This and consistent neck thickness can make a significant difference .

If you are scratching the mouth of a few cases across the pad to get lube on the expander ball is the lube getting on the ball? the ball will not touch the case on entry but will on exit in normal one step sizing and may not get on the top (leading edge ) of the ball at all.

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
wow.42 years.lets say there are a few.from my uncle to some of the top benchrest shooters.all i know is it is relaxing and when shooting with top components in quality builds extremely rewarding with accuracy.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Reloading doesn't save you any money. You spend way more on ammo than people who don't reload but you shoot a lot more. Ann Armstrong, the older lady that ran the Reloading Center in Burley told me that when I was 11 and bought my Lee load all shot shell loader from her.

She was right I have tens of thousands of dollars in reloading equipment and supplies. My brother that doesn't load probably spends $200/year on ammo. He might buy a box or two of rifle ammo, a brick of 22, and a case of steel shot because he duck hunts a lot. His 2 boxes of rifle ammo might last him 3 years. He shoots a few before the hunt to make sure he's on and maybe 1 or 2 rounds hunting. I should clarify that $200 was at the old prices.

Bb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
read the manual,dont listen to the stupid [bleep] on the internet.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Crisco as case lube.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
You won't save money, but you will have better ammo.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good thread. Several good tips. I might have to buy a handful of those Sinclair Chamber Length Gauges.

I started reloading (in the '70's) when most of us relied on pressure indicators like flattened primers and ejector marks on the case head. It scares me to think of some of the loads I used to shoot in my 308 and 25-06 that were wayyyy too hot. The chronograph is probably the best pressure indicator available to the majority of us. I like primer pockets to remain tight after multiple loadings.

ttpoz

in silvam ne ligna feras
(don't carry logs into the forest)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ttpoz
Good thread. Several good tips. I might have to buy a handful of those Sinclair Chamber Length Gauges.

I started reloading (in the '70's) when most of us relied on pressure indicators like flattened primers and ejector marks on the case head. It scares me to think of some of the loads I used to shoot in my 308 and 25-06 that were wayyyy too hot. The chronograph is probably the best pressure indicator available to the majority of us. I like primer pockets to remain tight after multiple loadings.

Yes, finding the chamber length can save a lot of time and cost. I'll bet most folks trimming .223 for their own rifles would never need to trim at all.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Your reloading bench can't have enough light. Start loading at the low end of the recipe, work your way up - shoot the same way and pay attention to your firearm before moving up the power scale.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Blacktail308
Toss that collet thingy that comes with an impact bullet puller and use a shell holder instead. Faster and easier.

I tried this last night and it works great. That's a very good tip because the aluminum collets self destruct too easily.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Find out what Shrapnel did wrong.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Start reloading. Just try it, you'll like it.

2. Try casting you'll like it.

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
One powder on the reloading bench at a time.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Throw that little 3 piece ring with the o-ring thing away that comes with an impact bullet puller. Use a shell holder instead, works great everytime.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (219DW, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 63 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,273
Posts18,486,635
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.