Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
the reticle tru works well.darrell holland sells a kit and he knows his stuff.was interested to hear about seely masker.talked to him a few times 30 years ago.alot of the old timers are gone now or retired.these guys could build a rifle.

GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
the reticle tru works well.darrell holland sells a kit and he knows his stuff.was interested to hear about seely masker.talked to him a few times 30 years ago.alot of the old timers are gone now or retired.these guys could build a rifle.i would look at the holland guns website if you are looking for something a little more advanced.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
How to get Jerry Schmidt’s Reticle Tru device:

https://parabola-llc.com/

I’ve been using them for several years now; they work.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What has to be wrong for that tool to show an off centered bubble? I can see where using a wind age adjustable set of rings could.cause this but with typical rings, there had to be a manufacturing glitch that is gonna be hard to.fix.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the reticle tru has nothing to do with a bubba bubble.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by slobob63
the reticle tru works well.darrell holland sells a kit and he knows his stuff.was interested to hear about seely masker.talked to him a few times 30 years ago.alot of the old timers are gone now or retired.these guys could build a rifle.i would look at the holland guns website if you are looking for something a little more advanced.

Is this what you're speaking of? Scope leveling kit

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by oldcuss
If memory serves - the Reticle-tru was developed by Seely Masker, a
gunsmith and bench rest shooter from Dutchess County NY.
He sold it with the proceeds to enable taking care of a disabled
son.

Your memory is incorrect. It was developed (and patented) by Jerry Schmidt of Bozeman, Montana around a decade ago.

I have one of his very first original designs. When I received it, it had a hand written note in it that if I saw any way to improve it to contact him and let him know.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I want the scope square with the rifle, and the rifle square with the world. There is no reason to have variables when relying on dialing turrets to get out to yonder.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I probably have mounted 20-30 scopes in 50 years. I set the rifle in a cradle, and position it so it looks level. I set the scope in the rings on the rifle and align the vertical cross hairs with the edge of a sheet of panneling on the wall I know is level vertical that I set with a 6 foot level when I put it up.The tighten everything up. I have shot a lot of big game with scopes so mounted from 20 yards to maybe 400 and none of the animals seemed to care and none jumped up and ran off.

Years ago, about 1965,the first rifle I bought was a Winchester Model 88 and I put Redfield tip of mounts on it with an $18 Bushnell scope. I was shooting it one day, testing whether it lost zero when the scope was tipped off and reset.Nope, it did fine. Some time during the session Ii stupidly forgot to reset the scope and shot the rifle with the scope tipped off off.The rifle usually shot about 1&1/4" groups at 100 yards which was good for those 88's . The shots with the scope tipped off had the same POI as when it wasn't. Go figure. I know, as John mentioned, I shoot with a cant and it again does not seem to matter.

IMHO, all these scope leveling devices fit in the same classification as the Butt Out Tool or the Cough Suppressor. Amazing what people will fall for because of marketing hype

Last edited by saddlesore; 12/10/20.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by saddlesore

IMHO, all these scope leveling devices fit in the same classification as the Butt Out Tool or the Cough Suppressor. Amazing what people will fall for because of marketing hype

Yep. ^^^

I follow this method, but I'm not a long distance shooter.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
maybe that's why?.....

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by huntsman22
pass the reticle tru, and hold the fluff......

Yep...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by huntsman22
maybe that's why?.....

LMAO!

Could be!

All joking aside: I like gadgets, especially when it comes to what we're talking about here. I've owned everyone of them mentioned (except the Holland rifle system) and either returned or sold them all and went back to a plumb bob.

Whatever works for you, roll with it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Justahunter
My buddy has this awesome scope leveling tool that makes sure the rifle is level to the scope, then you can level the scope to match. It works awesome and I want one for myself. Only problem is, I can't find one. There has to be more of them. There is no markings on this one what so ever. Best scope leveler I have ever used.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I've got one of these. Bought it last year, and have mounted about 6 scopes with it. As others described, this device ensures the line through the bore axis and the scope axis is perpendicular to gravity, i.e. the rifle/scope combo is perfectly level. You then rotate the scope in its rings to align the vertical reticle with a plumb bob or other vertical reference line. It is easy and foolproof, and doesn't rely on hoping some surface of the rifle or scope is machined flat and level.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shinbone
My buddy has this awesome scope leveling tool that makes sure the rifle is level to the scope, then you can level the scope to match. It works awesome and I want one for myself. Only problem is, I can't find one. There has to be more of them. There is no markings on this one what so ever. Best scope leveler I have ever used.

I've got one of these. Bought it last year, and have mounted about 6 scopes with it. As others described, this device ensures the line through the bore axis and the scope axis is perpendicular to gravity, i.e. the rifle/scope combo is perfectly level. You then rotate the scope in its rings to align the vertical reticle with a plumb bob or other vertical reference line. It is easy and foolproof, and doesn't rely on hoping some surface of the rifle or scope is machined flat and level.

Yep... simple is pretty hard on some people. I’m glad we aren’t all cut from the same cloth..

Todd

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

But it does rely on the accuracy of that cheap little bubble level.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

But it does rely on the accuracy of that cheap little bubble level.

And you're back to using a plumb line.

The Reticle Tru is the best of the bunch in my opinion and that's worth what you paid for it.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Not really. You could ditch the level and eyeball extremely close, probably closer than the bubble.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
There isn’t that much science that goes into a bubble..... a little bit of air and water.

This tool works for me. I’m glad I had help finding one.

Thanks again for that.

Todd

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
These Campfire threads crack me up. Some people insist that you gotta have the most precise tool ever made. Some people insist that you can just eyeball it.

"My way is the only way"!

No, my way is the only way"!

It's all very entertaining.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1minute, 22250rem, 1badf350, 2500HD, 66 invisible), 2,456 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,949
Posts18,519,215
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.