Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Brad
They sowed to the wind with their POS Walker trigger and reaped the whirlwind... screw them.

Eleven 700s in my safe, every single one except the 223 has a walker trigger..... and that’s exactly what’s getting ready to go in it as well. Not a thing wrong with that trigger.

HR IC

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Ole_270
Management intent was part of the demise, along with QC and dropping many of the popular model variants.
As for QC, here's a boreshot of a 700 ADL 243 cheesy bought for his son on closeout last spring.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Ring is the full 360 degree circumference of the bore, about 1/2" ahead of the chamber. Shoots 85 Sierra HP Gameking under an inch and a half with H4895 for a reduced recoil load for the boy. Worked well this fall on a nice sized doe during Youth season. So far we haven't tried any other load or bullet.

Experimental Speed Groove:?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe to compliment the grooves on a TSX?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Remington's poor management, particularly their poor new product marketing, isn't a new thing for Remington.

How many cartridges have they introduced over the past 75 years that failed?

How many firearms have they introduced over the same period that failed?

How many firearms did they introduce and then drop before they had a chance to establish themselves?

Look at how poorly they supported the 260 when it was launched.

Poor management, poor marketing, poor, poor, poor..........

That said, I have a lot of Remington firearms and some of them are among my favorites, the 504 in 17HM2 that I shoot squirrels with and the 597 in 22 MAG that I shoot 'cats with.

EDIT: Remington is like a second/third rate sports team that finds a way to lose when it could just have easily won.

Last edited by 260Remguy; 12/12/20. Reason: Added comment
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Remington DID kill itself.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My thoughts:

1. Their QC went to hell.
2. Their budget rifles sucked compared to other companies budget offerings.
3. They tried to ride the 700 and 870, and did......right into the ground.

I'm old enough to remember when you built rifles pretty much on 700 actions or pre-64 Winchester. It's sad that it's no longer the case, but the world keeps turning

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Like AKduck, I hope the 870, particularly the Wingmaster, survives in some quality iteration. I've got mine, but it is a better world if Wingmasters are being made. But I'm doubtful.....not many of us pump shotgun fans left.

Last edited by 300_savage; 12/12/20.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by AKduck
Only thing I ever cared for was the 870.

Remington brass was my #1 commercial preference. Makes me sad to see that part go away.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Only owned a couple of 600"s and 870 's

Curious as to what might happen with Dakota, don't want one, just curious

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I often harken back to three, what I consider, exceptional rounds; 260 Remington, 6MM Remington and 280 Remington. Their marketing of all three doomed all three to the land of "also ran" cartridges. I swear any one of Remington's marketing geniuses could fall into a barrel of nipples and would come out sucking his thumb.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ky221
They sowed to the wind with their POS Walker trigger and reaped the whirlwind... screw them.

Eleven 700s in my safe, every single one except the 223 has a walker trigger..... and that’s exactly what’s getting ready to go in it as well. Not a thing wrong with that trigger.

You disagree with Mike Walker, who in a sworn affidavit stated he begged Remington to dis-use the trigger. And yes, I've read the documents first-hand.

Guess you know more...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have several Remington's, though the newest is close to 25 years old. Beautiful wood and rich bluing are going away, just is what it is. Shotguns will be compared to Benellis, Berettas, & Brownings. Rimfires have to stack up against Ruger 1022's & Cz's. For centerfire rifle you have Savage Axis, T.C. Compasses, & Mossbergs Patriot at one end and Weatherby Vanguards, Bergara B14's at the other with Howa between. Not to mention AR's. Your reputation isn't going to cut it in this world where brand loyalty is fading, you have to actually build something people want. If you do they will spend the money. Again it just is what it is. Remington didn't build what we wanted at the right price so we said no thank you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
I often harken back to three, what I consider, exceptional rounds; 260 Remington, 6MM Remington and 280 Remington. Their marketing of all three doomed all three to the land of "also ran" cartridges. I swear any one of Remington's marketing geniuses could fall into a barrel of nipples and would come out sucking his thumb.

Oh, [bleep]. laugh I'm stealing that one. smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nothing wrong with the Walker trigger right up until there is. It’s been documented by the military. The designer says they are problematic. Some on this forum (me included) have had trouble with them. But since you have never had a problem, it must be all good, right?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by TheBigSky

Oh, [bleep]. laugh I'm stealing that one. smile

Someone once said (here) - It could be raining naked women and you'd get hit by the lesbian...

Me

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I am always sad to see ANY gunmaker go out of business especially a 200+ year old American gunmaker....Id say plenty of Lib's are celebrating another victory 🎉.......Hb

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Coyote Hunter: Got my first Remington Rifle 65 (sixty five!) years ago - it was a gift from father for myself and my brother.
Still have it today.
Bought a LOT of Remington Rifles and shotguns in the interim 65 years - still own 76 (seventy six) of them (2 shotguns & 74 Rifles).
So "I" have a lifetime supply on hand for me and my progeny.
I do think its a shame that "Big Green" got screwed up (ruined) over "big finance" interests.
Indeed I have fond memories of "coming of age" as an accuracy seeking Rifleman when I purchased the first of many Remington 700 BDL Varmints and some Unertl Target Scopes.
Then "movin on up" to the first of MANY really accurate Remington 40X Rifles.
Speaking of accuracy, when Remington brought out their wonderful and innovative XR-100 Rifle, in various Varmint calibers, every one I bought or had anything to do with was SUPERBLY accurate - I still have 5 of these wonderful Colony Varminting Rifles.
Yeah Remington got mismanaged and mishandled to death, there at the end - but they made a LOT of mistakes earlier along the way, in my opinion. Along with their MANY successes (870!) wonderful innovations and superb cartridges that they brought out.
Sad to see them go.

In order my favorite centerfire Remington Rifles:
#1: = 700 BDL Varmint
#2: = 700 BDL
#3: = 722
#4: = 725
#5: = 40X
#6: = XR-100
#7: = 788
#8: = 721
#9: = 660

In order my favorite rimfire Remington Rifles
#1: = 40X
#2: = 541-T
#3: = 37 Rangemaster
#4: = 513-T (Target Master)
#5: = 121 (pump action)
#6: = 513-S (Sporting)
#7: = 66

Yep it looks like Big Green is done and gone - it was a pleasure knowing them.
R.I.P.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quote=Reloder28
Remington brass was my #1 commercial preference. Makes me sad to see that part go away.[/quote]

Ditto for me as well.

I have been using more and more Hornady lately. I have used it in 22-250, 250 Savage, 7x64 and 7 WSM. No compaints with it and will use it as my R-P dries up.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ky221

You disagree with Mike Walker, who in a sworn affidavit stated he begged Remington to dis-use the trigger. And yes, I've read the documents first-hand.

Guess you know more...

In the grand scheme of things, I wonder how unsafe they really are?

Millions of them put into service for over 60 years with many millions of rounds fired and a failure rate that is a fraction of 1%?

I've owned over 200 Remington rifles with those trigger and never had a problem. Considering the number of rifles with those triggers and the number of rounds fired from those rifles, I'm probably overdue for an accidental discharge.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Coyote Hunter: Got my first Remington Rifle 65 (sixty five!) years ago - it was a gift from father for myself and my brother.
Still have it today.
Bought a LOT of Remington Rifles and shotguns in the interim 65 years - still own 76 (seventy six) of them (2 shotguns & 74 Rifles).
Yep it looks like Big Green is done and gone - it was a pleasure knowing them.
R.I.P.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Sounds like you're a mite older than me. I didn't shoot my first Remington until I was a grade schooler, maybe 6-7 years old. That would be the latter part of the 50's. It was Grandad's Remington 24 in .22 Short - a licensed copy of Browning's wonderful semi-auto .22. Granddad purchased it for about $20 in the early 1930's (year of manufacture was 1931). Shot that rifle many times growing up. When I got out of the service the first thing I purchased as a genuine Browning as I didn't think I would live long enough to inherit the Model 24. My girls grew up shooting the Browning. Finally became the proud owner of the Remington rifle in 2014 after Dad passed. In 1997 I purchased a 870 and in 2005 I purchased a Special Purpose Wood (checkered walnut with floorplate), apparently a special for Dick's Sporting Goods. Cost was $225 and I couldn't pass it up. Also got a Remington M700 muzzleloader in 1997. All of those are still in my safe and won't be going anywhere. I did sell a BDL in .308 Win I had purchased used at Gander. It was a tack driving SOB but it went to fund my first AR15 rifle, which came with two different uppers - .223/5.56 and .300Blk. Still have both of them. Bought a used lefty BDL in .270 Win for Daughter #1 to use. It's a tack driver but it was built years before Remington really started on the downhill as far as quality.

My Remingtons aren't going anywhere and the future may have me purchasing more on the used market. We'll see.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1badf350, 1minute, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 117LBS, 1Longbow, 58 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,164
Posts18,503,048
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.