Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 39 of 54 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 53 54
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I just love this photo...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][/quote]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
That's a great photo for sure.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Fun Thread!

I can only practice to 600,so that's my limit.

Of rifles currently in the stable,it would be my 7RM,or more likely my new 7mmMashburn Super.

I miss Bob

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Doesn't matter a whit to me what someone else thinks might be "best". What matters to me is what I choose from the options available to me. That has been everything from a .44 Mag to a .45-70 in the levers and .257Roberts to .338WM in the bolts.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 12/17/20. Reason: caps

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by centershot
I'd use the same 30-06 with 180gr Interlocks that I used on this public land bull. Anything under 1/4 mile - but, if I'm hunting on a private limited tag/access ranch I would expect the shot to be under 200 yards.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Picture is most likely doctored. Even if it isnt the guy is an asshat for using a wood stocked rifle that cant hold zero. The Hornady Interlock bullet always ends up in failure and typically blows up on the hide unlike the awesome Barnes TTXS. About the most sickening part is the choice of a bullshcidt 30-06 that has an trajectory of a tube of lipstick. Some folks use that old crap equipment trying to act nostalgic and cool and all but if they dont just outright miss their equipment is nothing more than wounding tools. Its a bunch of crap if when theres no Tikka in the pic.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by oldpinecricker
I'd use the same 30-06 with 180gr Interlocks that I used on this public land bull. Anything under 1/4 mile - but, if I'm hunting on a private limited tag/access ranch I would expect the shot to be under 200 yards.

Picture is most likely doctored. Even if it isnt the guy is an asshat for using a wood stocked rifle that cant hold zero. The Hornady Interlock bullet always ends up in failure and typically blows up on the hide unlike the awesome Barnes TTXS. About the most sickening part is the choice of a bullshcidt 30-06 that has an trajectory of a tube of lipstick. Some folks use that old crap equipment trying to act nostalgic and cool and all but if they dont just outright miss their equipment is nothing more than wounding tools. Its a bunch of crap if when theres no Tikka in the pic.

Excellent points in that post. Except you left out the part about that scope doesn't appear to MOA external adjustment knobs and laser illuminator.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Ranch13
Originally Posted by oldpinecricker

Excellent points in that post. Except you left out the part about that scope doesn't appear to MOA external adjustment knobs and laser illuminator.

You got me. How did i miss that?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

That bull is obviously still alive. It's already been explained that the rifle and the bullet and the optic would have killed no elk.

My question is: how long did it take you to train him to hold that pose? Pretty cool stuff.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

That bull is obviously still alive. It's already been explained that the rifle and the bullet and the optic would have killed no elk.

My question is: how long did it take you to train him to hold that pose? Pretty cool stuff.

Leupold..... gasp

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Brad
I just love this photo...

[/quote]

A great picture, classic stuff!

IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I live by this quote. "You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by elkmen1
I live by this quote. "You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

Is that a rifle with a bayonet, that you can use to run the elk through when it misfires and jams?

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
1, good advice.. Hagel wrote that I believe.. More folks should pay attention..

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

That's great advice for out west where bears roam. Have had some interesting run ins with a few over the years.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

That’s been my signature line for years.....and my personal belief! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

I too, tend to subscribe to this viewpoint. 👍

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I’ve never seen where a larger cartridge made up for poor shooting. I once saw an elk badly hit with the 338 WM run off only to be collected by someone with a 270. I’ve seen far more animals lost due to poor shooting with large cartridges than the reverse.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I’ve never seen where a larger cartridge made up for poor shooting. I once saw an elk badly hit with the 338 WM run off only to be collected by someone with a 270. I’ve seen far more animals lost due to poor shooting with large cartridges than the reverse.

Nor have I. Nowdays I favor a fairly light recoiling (and lightweight) rifle. Kimber MT 308 with good bullets does it all. If I didn't have all sorts of Palma brass for the 308, I would have went 7-08.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I’ve seen a number of mostly-young people make bad shots with a .223 on up. I have never seen anyone who noticed recoil when firing at game or even at water bottles outside. If someone missed with a .338 or whatever, they likely were just not good hunters and/or unpracticed with their gun. An anti-recoil shoulder pad and added weight at the range, such as a hefty bipod, makes shooting something like a 338 for an average-sized man nothing uncomfortable. In the field, no one I've ever met even noticed. My 16-yr-old son shoots my 7mm Wby and 300WM with deadly accuracy at the range. Sometimes, he says his shoulder is feeling it after about 30 rounds. When shooting at my friend's farm, he says he can't feel it at all. If someone's missing badly with a .338, I think they're just not good with a gun.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I thought real men only hunted with the .223/5.56?

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Page 39 of 54 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 53 54

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (10Glocks, 338reddog, 375sunrise, 35, 35WhelenNut, 264mag, 16 invisible), 961 guests, and 908 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,894
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.