Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 65X54
Scott & Paul did great this year! The 2020 deer season ended here very quietly which is always a good thing.
A light haze over the maple grove that smelled remarkably like cigars... smile

That big 8ptr seems to have a taste for Cubans! Pretty sure he was puffing on one when he strutted by me at 30yds on the West wheat field after my tag was punched. grin

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Judman
Wow what a trip! Your old mans buck is badass, both hammers! Nice work

Judman--I'm pretty sure that old arthritic non-typical is the one I was trying to get four years ago. His rack was already plenty screwed up then. Fortunately, for both of us, he didn't give me the opportunity until after my tag was filled. He was at least 2-3yrs. old then. I didn't realize it could be him until after we found him.

Paul

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice bucks, rifles, pics and write up.

Curious on the expansion of the TTSX on longer shots, wondering how far you all have used it. Sounds like a light aftermarket stock, heard good things on the accuracy of those pumps.

Skane - you have 2 pics I believe of Bolt actions, mind giving some specs?

Enjoyed the posts. Merry Christmas everyone.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by SKane

Spot-on in our fortune to hunt there. Finding an older buck there is rarely an easy task but it's easy to put in the time when you know there is a definite possibility of seeing one. And it's easy to be fooled by the younger bucks too - pretty easy to mistakenly shoot a 3.5 y/o if you don't get time to study them a bit. BTDT. cry

Right on. Some guys don't like trail cams because they don't see the deer on them during the season. I like to have them out because it helps me see what MIGHT come through when I'm in the bushes. If all I see are spikes and forks, it's hard to get motivated to keep after it. But if I know that big, rutty, stinky sumbitch is in there. I'll play in the woods for weeks if time allows.

Tom--It's always a surprise there. Never know WTH you are going to see there but knowing the possibility for a shooter to show makes it very interesting and exciting! I Always enjoy seeing the Bobcats and eagles. The skunks, not so much! laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Whelen Nut------looks like you can shoot a rifle as well as you can that Browning O/U. Real nice buck---Merry Christmas---Bob

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
[/b]
Broken record here - we once again hunted our favorite place on earth (not far from Wichita).

We arrived four days before the season to try to get a handle on things, maybe hang some sets etc.
Twas quite a contrast to a year ago when lack of rain meant very little in the way of crops. This year, there was seemingly wheat and some picked soybeans everywhere on and around the ranch.

We spent the bulk of mornings/afternoons glassing from vantage points and via GMC while installing any blinds/ladders midday depending on wind directions.

One buck was sighted on our first morning that got us reasonably excited - a mile from the ranch but headed the right way. Numerous bucks were sighted on a river bottom wheat field over the next few days so we'd begun to formulate a game plan for the opener - I'd hunt the ground closest to where saw the good buck the first day and dad would guard the river bottom wheat field.

About an hour in, I had a cool encounter with a young buck that with all that pasture, decided to nearly walk over my boots. I knew he was going to bust me so I figured I'd capture some video:

Dad would see nearly continuous all-day activity (due to an impending storm) and passed on this stud of a 3.5 y/o 8pt a couple of different times.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

TBC

Originally Posted by stealthgoat
another great hunt story with your dad!
-I don't think I could have let that that 8 point walk away

stealthgoat--I had strict orders from my guide. "Don't shoot that 8ptr, he's a young deer" so when you have the best WT guide at your service, you learn to listen to him. Typically my hunt consists of, "Dad, sit here and look that way. AND look at the body not the damn rack!"
[b]

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Whelen Nut------looks like you can shoot a rifle as well as you can that Browning O/U. Real nice buck---Merry Christmas---Bob

Thanks Bob. Hope your season was a success. Merry Christmas, to you also!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stealthgoat
another great hunt story with your dad!
-I don't think I could have let that that 8 point walk away

I agree on both! Sounds like a great time.

Now with even more aplomb
SKane Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 65BR
Nice bucks, rifles, pics and write up.
Skane - you have 2 pics I believe of Bolt actions, mind giving some specs?
Enjoyed the posts. Merry Christmas everyone.

Thanks!

The brown/stainless is a factory SS BDL configuration 7SAUM in a Bansner stock / TT Trigger. I'd originally purchased the BA to build a 350mag and, ummmm, made the mistake of shooting it. blush

The other is a 6mm Creedmoor with 1:8 #3 Bartlein @ 22" in a Grayboe Terrain stock / TT trigger. It's a TANK in the Grayboe stock (45oz) but I'm not climbing mountains with it. I've shot the 103 ELD X in it the last couple of years and they work really well as long as I stay off the shoulder. eek (I like to utilize all the meat from the deer) I've shot a couple with the 95 LRX and will likely use that one for filling doe tags again in the future.

WWP53D
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Congratulations. Looks like you had another successful trip to Kansas. Best part is spending time with your Dad sharing the experience together.

Last edited by Proud_Dad; 12/14/20.

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Judman
Wow what a trip! Your old mans buck is badass, both hammers! Nice work

Judman--I'm pretty sure that old arthritic non-typical is the one I was trying to get four years ago. His rack was already plenty screwed up then. Fortunately, for both of us, he didn't give me the opportunity until after my tag was filled. He was at least 2-3yrs. old then. I didn't realize it could be him until after we found him.

Paul
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Scott & Paul did great this year! The 2020 deer season ended here very quietly which is always a good thing.

Bet y'all had a great time back together.

Great hunt as Scott so well documented and narrated.

As I posted earlier, sorta brought back memories of BobinNH, who I'm sure was looking down on you guys.

DF

DF, Bob is always with us when we are hunting in Kansas.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
my nephew (lives in Wichita) pheasants hunts that area, I grew up 150 miles west

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I keep trying to get my old man to go with me.... he hates to hunt.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Well done Scott !

Always look forward to your hunting trip story.

Never disappoints.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by texken
my nephew (lives in Wichita) pheasants hunts that area, I grew up 150 miles west

Never pheasant hunted up there, but have seen roosters running across the road.

It's cold when the wind blows, which is most of the time. Many moons ago, I asked my father-in-law if the wind ever quit blowing. He thought for a moment then replied, yeah in the evening when it's about to change direction. That area is quite a contrast from Louisiana, but has its own natural beauty.

Last night, we had a strong wind blowing here in LA, could hear it whistling around the house. My wife made the observation that it reminded her of KS. I asked her if she ever got home sick for KS wind. She said "no"... wink

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats to you and your dad. Nice pics and great story. I look forward to your pics every year.

Thanks for sharing!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Great report (as usual) - congrats on the bucks!

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Whelen Nut

That big 8ptr seems to have a taste for Cubans! Pretty sure he was puffing on one when he strutted by me at 30yds on the West wheat field after my tag was punched. grin

laugh laugh

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Whelen Nut
Originally Posted by tzone

Spot-on in our fortune to hunt there. Finding an older buck there is rarely an easy task but it's easy to put in the time when you know there is a definite possibility of seeing one. And it's easy to be fooled by the younger bucks too - pretty easy to mistakenly shoot a 3.5 y/o if you don't get time to study them a bit. BTDT. cry

Right on. Some guys don't like trail cams because they don't see the deer on them during the season. I like to have them out because it helps me see what MIGHT come through when I'm in the bushes. If all I see are spikes and forks, it's hard to get motivated to keep after it. But if I know that big, rutty, stinky sumbitch is in there. I'll play in the woods for weeks if time allows.

Tom--It's always a surprise there. Never know WTH you are going to see there but knowing the possibility for a shooter to show makes it very interesting and exciting! I Always enjoy seeing the Bobcats and eagles. The skunks, not so much! laugh

I like them for the other critters as well. Well, maybe not the woofs. laugh

Camp is where you make it.
SKane Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Petro
I keep trying to get my old man to go with me.... he hates to hunt.

Mine'd probably go with you. laugh

Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

It's cold when the wind blows, which is most of the time. Many moons ago, I asked my father-in-law if the wind ever quit blowing. He thought for a moment then replied, yeah in the evening when it's about to change direction. That area is quite a contrast from Louisiana, but has its own natural beauty.

Last night, we had a strong wind blowing here in LA, could hear it whistling around the house. My wife made the observation that it reminded her of KS. I asked her if she ever got home sick for KS wind. She said "no"... wink

DF

Funny you say this - yes, the wind is ever-present.
We experienced one day that was a true aberration with very light wind - I'd worried hell had frozen over so I documented the event for posterity. LOL
But the wind sure is a blessing in the summer months.

WWP53D
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,386 guests, and 1,390 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,164
Posts18,484,441
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.